Confused re: 3 monitors

cspgsl

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
I have been reading the various threads with respect to enabling 3 monitors on an ATIRadeon HD 5450 and they all seem to deal with a DP - Display Port.

I am running Win7 Ult x64 on a Lenovo ThinkCenter - Model 5852AG5 - i5, 3.2Ghz - 6 GB RAM

There is a display port on the computer but I have not used it as I don't have an adapter.

I have two Samsung 2343 and one Lenovo L220 xwC monitors. I have them connected to the 5450 card as follows:

Samsung - DVI
Samsung - VGA
Lenovo - HDMI > DVI

I cannot enable the third monitor. If I try and enable the third (HDMI > DVI) it disables the other (VGA) and visa versa.

Is using this setup not possible?

boomsly

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2009
Setup is not possible with eyefinity, may be possible with the 3rd party hardware/software. I'm currently going through the same dilemma myself. You will need to get an active displayport adaptor. likely displayport to DVI would work best for you. It needs to be active!! not passive. if you buy a passive adaptor you are SOL. The active displayport to dvi adaptor is on newegg.com for $25.

cspgsl

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
Thanks for the replies. A friend loaned me an active DP > DVI adapter so I now have that plugged into the DP on the computer. The DP is not on the video card, it is native to the computer

The setup now is:
on the video card
DVI > DVI
VGA > VGA

on the computer
DP > DVI

No signal to the DP > DVI though until I changed the video settings in the BIOS to enable the on board video adapter

Joy to the world, three screens are working.

Thanks everyone

cspgsl

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012

I actually have 4 monitors working now - on the video card
DVI
VGA

onboard video
VGA
DP

The only thing that seems to be an intermittent problem is that Aero turns off from time to time without warning