Sign in with
Your question
Solved

I5 3550 vs i5 3570k

Last response: in CPUs
July 11, 2012 8:22:09 AM

Hi, I'm planning my first build and not sure which CPU to go for. I'm not planning on OC'ing, but I'm just wondering if it's worth paying the £15-20 extra for the 3570k so that if in the future I do decide to OC, I can.
Here's what else I'm planning on getting:

i5 3570k / i5 3550
Cooler Master Elite 311 Plus Case (Already bought)
Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H Motherboard
MSI Radeon 7850 Twin Frozr 900MHz OC 2GB
Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory
Corsair HX650 PSU
CnM 1.5TB Hard Drive - Powered by Seagate Barracuda

I'm aiming to be able to play new games on good settings, with a budget of about £650-700 approx. I'm not sure if it's worth saving that extra little bit and getting a small SSD for the OS, or perhaps spending it on another component. If I were to get the non-unlocked processor, would it then also be worth dropping down on my Mobo to a non Z77 one as I hear those are designed for OC'ing, so I could also save money there with a Mobo that would suit my needs.

Any input would be great, thanks.

More about : 3550 3570k

Best solution

a b à CPUs
July 11, 2012 8:35:56 AM

Get i5 3570k, no question about that.

This one u can overclock. The other u cannot.
a b à CPUs
July 11, 2012 8:38:21 AM

"If I were to get the non-unlocked processor, would it then also be worth dropping down on my Mobo to a non Z77 one as I hear those are designed for OC'ing, so I could also save money there with a Mobo that would suit my needs. "

Yes, if u decide to go that way, yes the Z77 could be dropped. It may be good idea to do it and get SSD.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
July 11, 2012 8:48:40 AM

If you dont plan to overclock stick with the i5 3550.That way you can also save some money on the motherboard.
If i were you i would buy this motherboard.The only thing thats missing compared to the Gigabyte one you chose is Intel Smart Response which isnt a dealbraker at all.

You could also save some money by getting this PSU.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
It is just phenomenal at that price.

Hopefully you'll have enough money to buy a fast SSD.Right now the prices on OCZ's Vertex 3 are extremely low for its performance.

If i were you i'd swsap the MSI Videocard you listed for this one right here.
It runs very cool and quiet and is also considerably cheeper.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 11, 2012 8:50:51 AM

Kamen_BG said:
If you dont plan to overclock stick with the i5 3550.That way you can also save some money on the motherboard.
If i were you i would buy this motherboard.The only thing thats missing compared to the Gigabyte one you chose is Intel Smart Response which isnt a dealbraker at all.

You could also save some money by getting this PSU.
It is just phenomenal at that price.

Hopefully you'll have enough money to buy a fast SSD.Right now the prices on OCZ's Vertex 3 are extremely low for its performance.

If i were you i'd swsap the MSI Videocard you listed for this one right here.
It runs very cool and quiet and is also considerably cheeper.

I think he is in UK.
m
l
July 11, 2012 9:27:17 AM

Kamen_BG, thanks for the suggestions, but as Nikorr says, I'm from the UK and so can't use newegg. I'll have a look at those components and see what prices I can get them for this side of the pond, but often they're more expensive.

I decided to go with the HX650 PSU as I didn't want to cheap out on a PSU after what research I've done. The Corsair one comes with a 7 year warranty and I'd rather pay a bit more just to have that peace of mind. Plus I want a modular one as this is my first build and I'd prefer to simplify all the cable management.

And I think the GPU you linked is the exact one I'm planning to buy, I'm just not sure if the DiRT Showdown deal applies this side of the pond, I'll have a look, I think it should as Codemasters are UK based.

I'm still just unsure if it's worth the extra and getting the 3570k if in a couple of years I do decide to OC... :/ 
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 11, 2012 9:40:48 AM

ok if youre from uk you can probably use Amazon.UK
things are pretty cheap there.The PSU you chose is very good but its not worth worth the price premium over the OCZ as they perform on par and are both modular.About the CPU...Just go with either the motherboard i linked (if you want to OC at a decent price) or upgrade to a Gigabyte Gigabyte GA Z77 UD3H which is the better choice but does cost a lot more.If you want an overclockable processor at a good price go with the i5 2500K.Its as fast as the 3570K while being considerably cheaper.
m
l
July 11, 2012 10:16:11 AM

In reality, how hard is it to OC? If I were to get the 3570k and stick with the Gigabyte Z77 Mobo, would all I need to get is an aftermarket fan and then I'd be pretty much good to go?

I think I'm just apprehensive about OC'ing as this is my first build, but maybe after I've built it I'll be more confident with it all.

I just don't want to limit myself by not being able to OC and then regret it if I decide I want to give it a go somewhere down the line.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 11, 2012 10:24:56 AM

Its easy, couple of clicks with mouse on ASRock mobos : )
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 11, 2012 10:27:14 AM

But its not hard on any other either : )
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 11, 2012 10:32:22 AM

This mobo has 8+4 phases, so its fine for ~4.4GHz OC

Plus it has UEFI BIOS so u can OC with few clicks as well.

U just need to read on what to change to what level or click auto and it will OC, but its better to OC manually.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 11, 2012 10:35:16 AM

Looks like this.

m
l
a b à CPUs
July 11, 2012 10:38:48 AM

U must have aftermarket CPU cooler to OC.
m
l
July 11, 2012 10:51:32 AM

Hmm. Maybe I'll stick with the 3570k and the Z77 so I can just buy a aftermarket fan and OC whenever I want to in a year or so's time perhaps. Is there any negative aspects to OC'ing? I know you *can* fry your components if you go OTT or have crap parts - what's the likely hood of it going wrong?
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 11, 2012 11:11:23 AM

47415A said:
Hmm. Maybe I'll stick with the 3570k and the Z77 so I can just buy a aftermarket fan and OC whenever I want to in a year or so's time perhaps. Is there any negative aspects to OC'ing? I know you *can* fry your components if you go OTT or have crap parts - what's the likely hood of it going wrong?

Small chance if u follow the guide.

It would have to be defective.

U will change only 2 numbers, maybe 3, if needed.

m
l
a b à CPUs
July 11, 2012 11:12:51 AM

And to fry something, its bigger chance that your PSU will do it for u : )

And that is a small chance too.
m
l
July 11, 2012 12:20:47 PM

Ok then, thanks.
And what would you recommend about SSD's? Is it worth getting a 64gb one for about £50-60 (approx $80-90) and just installing the OS on it plus some other key programmes like Firefox, Microsoft Office, Steam etc?
It would bump be over my budget, but I'm wondering if it's worth making the investment in one now, or waiting until they have come down in price further.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 11, 2012 12:23:36 PM

Yes, 64GB is enough for W7 + 40GB of programs.
m
l
July 11, 2012 12:38:29 PM

Ok, I'll read some reviews and such.
Thanks for all your help
:) 
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 11, 2012 12:40:06 PM

No problem : )
m