Jade Empire only gets a 8.4 from Gamespot?

Still a nice score but I expected better after the IGN review.
25 answers Last reply
More about jade empire gamespot

    On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 22:46:38 GMT, jojo@cox.net (MS#1Fanboy-JoJo)
    wrote:

    > Still a nice score but I expected better after the IGN review.

    How did I know that this was going to happen?

    That's probably because IGN overrates the games they review. Gamespot
    usually gives a much more realistic score.

    MS#1Fanboy-JoJo wrote:
    > Still a nice score but I expected better after the IGN review.

    The uber nerd Kasavin reviewed it, so that's about on par for the
    self-admitted FF fangirl.

    "MS#1Fanboy-JoJo" <jojo@cox.net> wrote in message
    > Still a nice score but I expected better after the IGN review.

    That GameSpot review seemed awfully nitpicky. He didn't like combat because
    it was real-time? He didn't like that it was different than Knights of the
    Old Republic? What a retard. It's a different game. Everything he describes
    makes it sound awesome to me even while he's dissing it.

    - Cryo

    well said, cryofax!

    In article <0q0m511cq1e956rk1e8f00vl9j2olae66v@4ax.com>, scape@noway.com
    says...

    >On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 22:46:38 GMT, jojo@cox.net (MS#1Fanboy-JoJo)
    >wrote:
    >
    >> Still a nice score but I expected better after the IGN review.
    >
    >How did I know that this was going to happen?

    LOL!!! They are the only review under 90% right now though. Gamespy gave it a
    perfect score.

    MS#1Fanboy-JoJo wrote:
    > scape@noway.com says...
    >> (MS#1Fanboy-JoJo) wrote:
    >>
    >>> Still a nice score but I expected better after the IGN review.
    >>
    >> How did I know that this was going to happen?
    >
    > LOL!!! They are the only review under 90% right now though. Gamespy
    > gave it a perfect score.

    Yep, lotsa almost perfect scores across the broad so far:

    IGN Review.................9.9 out of 10
    GameSpyReview.........5 out of 5
    GameZoneReview.......9.8 out of 10
    Console GoldReview...9.8 out of 10
    GameDailyReview.......4.5 out of 5

    Has this game been confirmed to come out for PC yet?

    On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 21:02:00 -0400, "Dan"
    <mikedan*nospam*@videotron.ca> wrote:

    >That's probably because IGN overrates the games they review. Gamespot
    >usually gives a much more realistic score.

    I do believe that Greg Kassavin of Gamespot (not Gamespot in general)
    tends to grade tough. I think that is a good thing. He is usually
    thorough and in-depth. However, I think on SOME reviews he is overly
    critical and inconsistent (Splinter Cell:Chaos Theory recieved a lower
    score than Pandora Tomorrow and an equal score to SC1???) So to not
    pass judgement on him, I decided to compare the IGN and Gamespot
    reviews, The IGN review (David Clayman) actually seems MORE in-depth
    than the Gamespot review (Greg Kassavin). This was very surprising
    because usually this is the opposite. The IGN review was very
    meticulous in describing the fighting system while Gamespot was
    somewhat vague. There are also polar opposite views on certain
    aspects of the game (Greg Kassavin says that the lading times are
    longer than KOTOR, Clayman says that it is half of the KOTOR loading
    times). The Gamespot review says, "With that said, the game also
    lacks the ambitious scope of, say, Knights of the Old Republic". IGN
    says, "Jade's story is better, its combat system superior and its
    morality system is more complex than KOTOR. There are so many twists
    and turns that no one will be able to anticipate all of them. I almost
    feel like going back and lowering the scores of every other RPG on
    Xbox. Yes, Jade is that good." The differences of opinion are HUGE.
    I will get it tomorrow and be my own judge.

    SupaScape!

    In article <z6F6e.31751$_N4.879551@wagner.videotron.net>,
    mikedan*nospam*@videotron.ca says...

    >That's probably because IGN overrates the games they review. Gamespot
    >usually gives a much more realistic score.

    I agree with that but all the other sites are giving it incredible scores too.

    "BuckFush" <notmyre@laddress.com> wrote in message
    > MS#1Fanboy-JoJo wrote:
    >> scape@noway.com says...

    >>> How did I know that this was going to happen?
    >>
    >> LOL!!! They are the only review under 90% right now though. Gamespy
    >> gave it a perfect score.
    >
    > Yep, lotsa almost perfect scores across the broad so far:
    >
    > IGN Review.................9.9 out of 10
    > GameSpyReview.........5 out of 5
    > GameZoneReview.......9.8 out of 10
    > Console GoldReview...9.8 out of 10
    > GameDailyReview.......4.5 out of 5
    >
    > Has this game been confirmed to come out for PC yet?

    Yes.

    Jonah Falcon

    SupaScape! <scape@noway.com> wrote:
    >I do believe that Greg Kassavin of Gamespot (not Gamespot in general)
    >tends to grade tough. I think that is a good thing. He is usually

    Now, I'm biased and think Kasavin's written some dumb reviews
    occasionally. But...

    >somewhat vague. There are also polar opposite views on certain
    >aspects of the game (Greg Kassavin says that the lading times are
    >longer than KOTOR, Clayman says that it is half of the KOTOR loading
    >times).

    With respect to load times, this could be entirely an artifact of
    the reviewers playing on different XBoxes; I think one more hard used or
    just in worse shape will actually have worse load times.

    I do hope both reviewers actually popped in KOTOR to double check;
    an XBox should have save games for pretty much every game on the HD.

    --
    Wiggum: No. We need to find out who it belonged to. We want a DNA test.
    DNA guy: Ooh, ooh, ee, ooh, ooh, that takes, uh, eight to ten weeks.

    wrote:

    > Still a nice score but I expected better after the IGN review.

    IGN tends to be on the high side and Gamespot tends to be on the low
    side. Average the 2 and you probably have a good starting point.

    "MS#1Fanboy-JoJo" <jojo@cox.net> wrote in message
    > Still a nice score but I expected better after the IGN review.

    That will send the fanboys into a traumatic spin on gamefaqs boards

    "Jonah Falcon" <jonahnynla@mindspring.com> wrote in message

    > "BuckFush" <notmyre@laddress.com> wrote in message
    >> MS#1Fanboy-JoJo wrote:
    >>> scape@noway.com says...

    >>> LOL!!! They are the only review under 90% right now though. Gamespy
    >>> gave it a perfect score.
    >>
    >> Yep, lotsa almost perfect scores across the broad so far:
    >>
    >> IGN Review.................9.9 out of 10
    >> GameSpyReview.........5 out of 5
    >> GameZoneReview.......9.8 out of 10
    >> Console GoldReview...9.8 out of 10
    >> GameDailyReview.......4.5 out of 5
    >>
    >> Has this game been confirmed to come out for PC yet?
    >
    > Yes.
    >
    > Jonah Falcon

    Actually, no. Bioware said they're not planning a PC version as of yet.

    Tommy

    In article <1113270549.359866.313860@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
    holleyrp@delanet.com says...

    >MS#1Fanboy-JoJo wrote:
    >> Still a nice score but I expected better after the IGN review.
    >
    >The uber nerd Kasavin reviewed it, so that's about on par for the
    >self-admitted FF fangirl.

    I didn't realize he was a Final Fantasy nut. That would explain a bunch.

    In article <wICdnVfrnPa5r8bfRVn-rw@giganews.com>, ThrowPoopt@YourFace.com
    says...

    >"MS#1Fanboy-JoJo" <jojo@cox.net> wrote in message
    >> Still a nice score but I expected better after the IGN review.
    >
    >That GameSpot review seemed awfully nitpicky. He didn't like combat because
    >it was real-time? He didn't like that it was different than Knights of the
    >Old Republic? What a retard. It's a different game. Everything he describes
    >makes it sound awesome to me even while he's dissing it.
    >
    >- Cryo

    After looking through Kasavins scores I do agree with him on most of his
    scores. I don't agree that Paper Mario deserved a 9.2 and I'm sure that I will
    like Jade Empire more. We shall see tonight.

    In article <e6um51p3enc7ohccn36fktk5phveor5djq@4ax.com>,
    frankmelo@sbcglobal.net says...

    >On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 22:46:38 GMT, jojo@cox.net (MS#1Fanboy-JoJo)
    >wrote:
    >
    >> Still a nice score but I expected better after the IGN review.
    >
    >IGN tends to be on the high side and Gamespot tends to be on the low
    >side. Average the 2 and you probably have a good starting point.

    That sounds like a good plan. Maybe bump up the average a bit after taking
    into consideration all the other great scores.

    In article <3c1hggF6lm3p7U1@individual.net>, invalid@invalid.invalid says...

    >"MS#1Fanboy-JoJo" <jojo@cox.net> wrote in message
    >> Still a nice score but I expected better after the IGN review.
    >
    >That will send the fanboys into a traumatic spin on gamefaqs boards

    Yeah check out Gamefaqs and have a good laugh.

    > In article <3c1hggF6lm3p7U1@individual.net>, invalid@invalid.invalid
    > says...
    >>

    >>"MS#1Fanboy-JoJo" <jojo@cox.net> wrote in message
    >>> Still a nice score but I expected better after the IGN review.
    >>
    >>That will send the fanboys into a traumatic spin on gamefaqs boards
    >>

    > Yeah check out Gamefaqs and have a good laugh.

    Its great, its like they are all having some kind of major blood vessel
    spillage. I best warn the local hospitals of an influx of stroke victims.

    Jonah Falcon wrote:

    > Yes.

    Is your source as trustworthy as the one claiming Resident Evil 4 is coming
    to the Xbox?

    In the case of JE, GS is much closer to the truth. IGN overrates pretty
    much everything (not just on one console, but for all).

    "Skye" <carolinaconvicts2@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > In the case of JE, GS is much closer to the truth. IGN overrates pretty
    > much everything (not just on one console, but for all).

    Hmmm...I'm not saying you're wrong but how can you be so sure? How long have
    you owned the game, how many hours have you played it, and how far into it
    are you?

    Hmmm... the general opinion is that IGN over-rates and Gamespot
    under-rates so we should just average the two and get... 9.15! Seems
    fair to me!

    - Jordan

    "WJM" <wjmuldowney@NOearthlinkSPAM.net> wrote in message

    > "Skye" <carolinaconvicts2@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > In the case of JE, GS is much closer to the truth. IGN overrates pretty
    > > much everything (not just on one console, but for all).
    > >

    > Hmmm...I'm not saying you're wrong but how can you be so sure? How long
    have
    > you owned the game, how many hours have you played it, and how far into it
    > are you?

    owned from launch day, almost done chapter 2, played about 9 hours, and
    yeah, the game although great and lots of fun is incredibly overrated (as
    usual). GS's score was much more accurate than all the rest of the BS
    reviews.

    Wurm

Console Gaming Games Video Xbox Video Games