6230 Blueooth / IPAQ

Hi

Can anybody confirm the position with the 6230 working with an IPAQ 1940
over bluetooth connection. Seems like quite a major problem to me if its not
working as this phone is being pushed as the next business handset and an
obvious upgrade from my 6310i.
12 answers Last reply
More about 6230 blueooth ipaq

    Andy, I have an iPAQ2210 and a Nokia6230, and I can confirm that they
    will NOT pair via bluetooth.
    I am back to using IR for GPRS web and mail access, but I am seriously
    considering going back to my SE T630, which by the way has a much
    better build quality than the creaky Nokia.
    Martyn.

    > Can anybody confirm the position with the 6230 working with an IPAQ 1940
    > over bluetooth connection. Seems like quite a major problem to me if its not
    > working as this phone is being pushed as the next business handset and an
    > obvious upgrade from my 6310i.

    Thanks for the info - glad I asked *before* I bought the phone!
    Will watch out for the report on the HP patch.

    Andy

    On Thu, 8 Apr 2004 23:49:01 +0000 (UTC), "Andy" <someone@somwhere.co>
    wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >Can anybody confirm the position with the 6230 working with an IPAQ 1940
    >over bluetooth connection. Seems like quite a major problem to me if its not
    >working as this phone is being pushed as the next business handset and an
    >obvious upgrade from my 6310i.

    When contacting Widcomm:

    "In line with WIDCOMM's policy of providing the most
    up-to-date information to our customers, we are
    providing the following information.

    Having problems performing pairing with an iPaq
    1940/2210 PDA and a Nokia 6230 Phone and you
    continually get an error similar to "Cannot pair
    devices for security reasons�?

    This is a Hardware issue and not a software issue
    related to the WIDCOMM BTW-CE Product. The reason for
    this problem is as follows:

    There are two types of keys that can be used for
    pairing:
    - Combination keys
    - Unit keys

    The key type that is used is pre-set in the Bluetooth
    Radio Firmware. The WIDCOMM BTW-CE Bluetooth software
    does not control this setting. The radio on the iPaq
    1940 uses unit keys by default. The Nokia 6230 phone
    rejects the use of unit keys in pairing because it is
    not as secure as combination keys.

    This issue has been reported with Nokia 6820 and 6230
    phones when attempting to pair with the iPaq 1940 or
    2210 PDA.

    Please contact HP to see if they have a resolution for
    this issue."

    I recived beta software patch from HP today. I will test it by end of
    the weekend and report then.

    "Andy" <someone@somwhere.co> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > Can anybody confirm the position with the 6230 working with an IPAQ 1940
    > over bluetooth connection. Seems like quite a major problem to me if its
    not
    > working as this phone is being pushed as the next business handset and an
    > obvious upgrade from my 6310i.

    H Andy,
    I have a 2210 which I believe has the same Bluetooth setup - well
    it certainly won't pair with my new 6230, that's a similarity ;-) The
    process always fails with the same message "Pairing and conn.rejected for
    security reasons."

    So the first thing I did was to go to the HP website and download the latest
    2210 ROM upgrade. This listed a number of 'Bluetooth issues' which were
    addressed. Did the upgrade - no difference to the BT pairing problem.

    I then e-mailed HP and said that I believe this is is a 'known issue' and
    would there be a fix available soon? They replied that I should download
    Bluetooth driver V1.4.1.58 from their website to sort out the problem. I
    replied that I already had V1.4.1.60 fitted and did they really mean that I
    should fit the older driver? Yes they did because it was "specific to fix
    the issue you have on your iPAQ". So I fitted it. No difference to the BT
    pairing problem.

    So I wrote again. This time they said do a full, hard reset and also
    suggested that I read an article on a website they supplied about how to set
    up a Bluetooth connection. I was a little disappointed with this reply as a)
    it was going to mean losing all my data and settings again and b) not only
    was I already aware of how the pairing *should* take place - but the article
    pointed to was for a Nokia 3650 pairing with an iPAQ 3970!

    Anyway, I played the game, I did the hard reset - and it made no difference
    to the BT pairing problem. So there you have it. There IS no problem with
    Bluetooth pairing between a Nokia 6230 and an iPAQ 2210 - and that's
    official.

    Ironically,

    Eric

    ---

    zlikovski wrote:
    > This issue has been reported with Nokia 6820 and 6230
    > phones when attempting to pair with the iPaq 1940 or
    > 2210 PDA.

    This is interesting. I used the Nokia 6820 with my HP Ipaq H5550 without any
    problems. If the 6230 and 6820 use the same Bluetooth implementation, then I
    suppose that the 6230 will work with my Ipaq too.

    --
    Tero Lehto
    http://lehto.net/tero/

    Hi Martyn

    Thanks for the input. How do you find the signal strength / call quality on
    the T630 many people find it much worse than Nokia's

    Andy

    "martynrb" <sperrysunchik@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Andy, I have an iPAQ2210 and a Nokia6230, and I can confirm that they
    > will NOT pair via bluetooth.
    > I am back to using IR for GPRS web and mail access, but I am seriously
    > considering going back to my SE T630, which by the way has a much
    > better build quality than the creaky Nokia.
    > Martyn.
    >

    > > Can anybody confirm the position with the 6230 working with an IPAQ 1940
    > > over bluetooth connection. Seems like quite a major problem to me if its
    not
    > > working as this phone is being pushed as the next business handset and
    an
    > > obvious upgrade from my 6310i.

    Andy,
    As with most all the Ericsson's I've owned, the T630 signal strength
    indicator seems to have a life of its own, it comes and goes, but I
    would say that this doesn't seem to affect T630 call quality which is
    consistently good, it just makes me nervous.....

    Problems/bitches with Nokia 6230:
    Cheap build quality, the back and front cover are wobbly already.
    Non-pairing of the 6230 and 1900/2200 iPaqs, for reasons we all know
    by now.
    Curs'ed Nokia will also not sync with my Outlook contacts, giving me a
    'SyncML server cannot be started' error, tried messing with Outlook
    and Nokia PCSuite, but no joy.
    MMS settings sent via Nokia website cannot be edited or deleted,
    leaving a list of duplicate profiles.

    All in all I waited a long time for this phone to come out, and I am
    so disappointed. I am lucky I can take this almost new/boxed product
    to the local fone market, and sell it without losing too much cash.

    For me it's back to the easy life of SE T630.

    Martyn.

    zlikovski <gcesnovar@SoftHome.net> wrote in message news:<hhkc709ceoqj47r9r6e0h9sl70256qpvum@4ax.com>...
    > On Thu, 8 Apr 2004 23:49:01 +0000 (UTC), "Andy" <someone@somwhere.co>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Hi
    > >
    > >Can anybody confirm the position with the 6230 working with an IPAQ 1940
    > >over bluetooth connection. Seems like quite a major problem to me if its not
    > >working as this phone is being pushed as the next business handset and an
    > >obvious upgrade from my 6310i.
    > >

    > When contacting Widcomm:
    >
    > "In line with WIDCOMM's policy of providing the most
    > up-to-date information to our customers, we are
    > providing the following information.
    >
    > Having problems performing pairing with an iPaq
    > 1940/2210 PDA and a Nokia 6230 Phone and you
    > continually get an error similar to "Cannot pair
    > devices for security reasons�?
    >
    > This is a Hardware issue and not a software issue
    > related to the WIDCOMM BTW-CE Product. The reason for
    > this problem is as follows:
    >
    > There are two types of keys that can be used for
    > pairing:
    > - Combination keys
    > - Unit keys
    >
    > The key type that is used is pre-set in the Bluetooth
    > Radio Firmware. The WIDCOMM BTW-CE Bluetooth software
    > does not control this setting. The radio on the iPaq
    > 1940 uses unit keys by default. The Nokia 6230 phone
    > rejects the use of unit keys in pairing because it is
    > not as secure as combination keys.
    >
    > This issue has been reported with Nokia 6820 and 6230
    > phones when attempting to pair with the iPaq 1940 or
    > 2210 PDA.
    >
    > Please contact HP to see if they have a resolution for
    > this issue."
    >

    > I recived beta software patch from HP today. I will test it by end of
    > the weekend and report then.

    Hi there !

    Did you test the patch - and what was the result ?

    Best regards
    Jacob

    > For me it's back to the easy life of SE T630.
    >
    > Martyn.

    Wow the 6230 must be bad if even the T630 is better! Should I cancel my
    order, the Ericssons I've had have been appalling in every aspect of design
    and function and I was hoping returning to Nokia via the 6230 would be the
    way to go

    On 12 Apr 2004 23:49:20 -0700, jla0411@hotmail.com (jla) wrote:

    >Hi there !
    >
    >Did you test the patch - and what was the result ?
    >
    >Best regards
    >Jacob

    Same problem. Nothing fixed :(
    A replayed HP and waiting for answer.

    > On 12 Apr 2004 23:49:20 -0700, jla0411@hotmail.com (jla) wrote:

    > >Hi there !
    > >
    > >Did you test the patch - and what was the result ?
    > >
    > >Best regards
    > >Jacob
    >
    > Same problem. Nothing fixed :(
    > A replayed HP and waiting for answer.

    pity, I was kinda hoping it might work.
    and HP don't seem to be in a rush to fix it.

    > Wow the 6230 must be bad if even the T630 is better! Should I cancel my
    > order, the Ericssons I've had have been appalling in every aspect of design
    > and function and I was hoping returning to Nokia via the 6230 would be the
    > way to go

    I don't like the 6230 for the reasons I mentioned. It just doesn't
    work for me, and I think the cheap build quality is absolutely
    unforgiveable.
    I can't agree more that SE have made what I would describe as 'clunky'
    phones, but my T630 synchronises with Outlook, it speaks to my iPaq
    via bluetooth (essential, I travel a lot and use GPRS mail and web
    access), and it is well built.
    Believe me, I have tried to like the Nokia, but it just doesn't fit in
    with my lifestyle.
    If you don't need to BT with 1900 or 2210 iPaq's and can put up with
    its creaks, the Nokia may be the phone for you.
    If you get one, let us know your opinions :-)
    Martyn.

Nokia Connection Ipaq