Johnny4all

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2011
Hi guys , recently i have been experiencing some weird events. When i want to start my PC i have no image no weird beeps nothing , i have an 8800 GT video card with 6 pin power connector . I was thinking that it failed , then i went to a friend borrow his gts 250 and plugged it in and still nothing , now i am scared that i may have possibly kill both video cards , the weird thing is that with an old 8500 GT that does not require any power connectors works fine . Please tell me what is wrong with my computer .

Johnny4all

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2011
The problem just came along later...and suddenly all worked fine until now. Here are my specs : Processor AMD Athlon 5200+ 2.77 Ghz ,
2 GB RAM DDR2 ,
PSU Rasurbo SilentPower DLP-45.1 450W ,
video card 8800 GT and my friends gts 250 that does not work , now I am using a 8500 GT and works fine ,
Motherboard : MSI K9N SLI V2 (MS-7390)

Johnny4all

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2011
I just arrived from a friend and after i test the 2 video cards it turned out that they are working with no problem , so the problem in my PC is the PSU ?

inanition02

Distinguished

I would guess either PSU or motherboard - though if you said a card that didn't require an external power connector worked fine, then it's most likely the PSU isn't outputing enough juice on that 6 pin. Do you have a molex 4pin to 6 pin converter around? If so, try that on a different PSU cable and see if that helps... (unless you have a spare PSU around or a digital multimeter to test it).

Johnny4all

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2011
I tried that and still the same , now i receive 4 short beeps , it sounds like first 2 beeps in pair then the last 2 beeps in pair , something like beep-beep , beep-beep . Do you recommend i should go with the PC and one of the video cards that does not work somewhere to test my components?

inanition02

Distinguished
According to the AMI bios guide:

4 Beeps
Four beeps means that the motherboard timer is not working properly. A hardware failure with an expansion card or the motherboard itself could be the cause of this beep code.

Still sounds like it's not getting enough power...

Johnny4all

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2011
So it is the power supply...hmm weird to have failed so suddenly , can a power supply be repaired or i need to purchase a new one ?