Can't get past boot :(

inflation

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
Hey all so here is my issue. It poped up when I shutdown my computer yesterday now I have serious issues. First off is my build

MOBO - GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
PROCESSOR - Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz
VID CARD - GTX480 X2 IN SLI
RAM - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
PSU - Antec TPQ-1200 1200W
HD - OCZ Agility 2
HD - Seagate 1TB 7200 RPM SATA

Okay and here is my issue. When I turn my computer it it flashes through the BIOS extremely quickly and shows a blinking underscore at the top left for about 5 seconds. Then the computer restarts on a loop getting back to the same point only to restart again.

I have also unhooked my HD and tried to get as far as I could without them but it only gets to the same point.

Any ideas?

Wamphryi

Distinguished
I would look at the Motherboard first. I have had a similar problem with a Gigabyte Board. In my case it was the memory controller causing restarts and blue screens. The board that it had replaced under warranty had a dodgy south bridge.

inflation

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009

Thanks for the advice. I actually just tried that with every different stick of Ram. But still no go.

My friend just told me that it might be the "Boot Record Virus" But I will have to investigate that.

tidus1112

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012
Are you able to open the bios screen at all? If so, you may want to try booting from a disc, if you can get some kind of boot up disc from a friend or something. This is just off the top of my head, but I think kaspersky has a boot up program that you can put on a disc. May just be a hdd issue, although it doesn't seem much like it. I suppose if it was a boot record virus, though, you should still be able to boot from a disc, otherwise it'd have to be a hardware issue.

It really does sound like a ram issue, but I suppose that isn't the case, considering you tried all three ram sticks separately.

How recently did you build this rig?