Intel 45nm Tapeout Complete

dvmoo7

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
First off, I don't have any sources I can actually reveal. So if you chose, take this as a grain of salt or just call it rumors. All I say is that this info came from someone close to Intel. Actually, I am hoping this info is already out somewhere on the web or soon will be. So if you have the link please share. Thanks

1). As expected, Intel just completed tapeout of Penryn (moble) the leading product for 45 nm technology. Mfg has begun!!

2). New instructions SSE4 for Vectorizing complier, media Accelerators. Also SSE4 for efficient, accelerated, string and text processing.

3).Intel is using a revolutionary 45nm process using 193nm dry lithography. As a comparison, the 193nm immersion lithography is currently planned by IBM/AMD which is more expensive and still under development for high volume mfg.

wolverinero79

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
A lot of SSE4 is rumored to be centered around 64-bit processing. Anyone have any speculation on what this will do to 64-bit benchmarks? Since Intel "borrowed" x86-64, will AMD then "borrow" SSE4 (like SSE1, 2 and 3)?

Major_Spittle

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006
Your information is incorrect.

LOL, give it a day or two. I sense a disturbance in the force, like millions of AMD fanboys crying out and then silence.

According to Anandtech, the 65nm Processors are just more cannon fodder for Intel. 8O

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002

LOL, give it a day or two. I sense a disturbance in the force, like millions of AMD fanboys crying out and then silence.

According to Anandtech, the 65nm Processors are just more cannon fodder for Intel. 8O

Actually, Jk is right.

My stance: no comment. :)

ryman554

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2006
and has been made public knowledge in the past week.

But this brings me to an interesting question:

Is this a mis-step for intel? Hear me out -- with immersion lithography, it is possible that IBM/AMD can close the die size gap (and consequently the poly width gap) to the point where the IBM/AMD transistors will be competitive to intel's offereings?

While immersion may "not be ready for primetime", i suspect that it's rather closer than people are willing to admit. And it may allow for a more aggresive shrink that intel. In such a scenario, I could imagine that the manufacturing dominace intel now holds may be broken -- for this technology. Given that AMD's architecture still seems to hold a bit more oomph over intel's (but not nearly as much as it used to), may we see a generation of AMD dominance -- this time process-based?

xpresso

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
Yes Penryn tape out is complete, you are correct, and this is according to revised roadmap on schedule? It will be interesting to see what the performance metrics will be :D

weskurtz81

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
Well,

It's obvious Intel really wants to keep the process shrink ahead of AMD. Or maybe they want to keep it small as possible for profit. Since, AMD obviously did fine with 90nm over Intel's 65nm other than profits. It would be interesting if AMD did get a big win with immersion. Another Intel folly, or maybe, an AMD folly if it doesn't work out.

wes

Pippero

Distinguished
May 26, 2006
Given that AMD's architecture still seems to hold a bit more oomph over intel's (but not nearly as much as it used to), may we see a generation of AMD dominance -- this time process-based?
What architecture advantage do you see? 8O
AMD is behind in terms of architecture and process right now, plain and simple.

G

Well he does work for intel. Already provided accurate information in the past.

Major_Spittle

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006
I am not so sure he is an intel guy
looks like 45nm did tape out for real

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9584_22-6139487.html

hmm, didn't realize it was already reported. Yeah, vendors should soon be getting samples to do start evaluating for builds.

I am just curious how far along AMD is? Intel taped out the 45nm, this means it works but does not tell how mature the manufacturing process is and if it is ready for a ramp yet.

AMD did a "hands off" demo of a product that they are saying is ready for ramp now to be released in mid-2007. Yet, by doing a hands off demo it suggests that the product is not a good canidate for the market. This confuses me. I think they might have a real steamy turd on their hands.

Intel is quick. AMD's silence about its "next great thing" is deafening.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006

Not the best way of going about a counter argument.

Why? Because!

No really, why? Because ok?!

Makes you look like that.

Yea, it would be good to know what specifically is incorrect and what the real truth is. But JK probably wants to keep his job at least till his prescheduled early termination package arrives.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006

Why? Because!

Yea, it would be good to know what specifically is incorrect and what the real truth is. But JK probably wants to keep his job at least till his prescheduled early termination package arrives.Saucy boy!!! LOL :wink:

Lacostiade

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
amd being quiet like this is hard to bear. last i checked they dont even have good yeilds with 65nm yet and 45nm is 2 years away. i dont see how they are going to make allot of profits with so little product. vista is coiming out in a month or so and i would have thought amd would be trying to flood the market with product to try to capture sales with all the new vista sales. but instead they bought ati. a fab would have been better.

a fab would be better for a short length of time, but however AMD chose to go for the long term by buying ATI, im sure u will change what u said in just 2 years.

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002

Why? Because!

Yea, it would be good to know what specifically is incorrect and what the real truth is. But JK probably wants to keep his job at least till his prescheduled early termination package arrives.

That's my reason for not jumping into this thread with any info.

:D

r0ck

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2006

I'm going to assume that he means these have only PR taped out, considering that there are supposed to be Nehalem ES, to trick AMD and keep 65nm sales and that real tape out happened before :D

djkrypplephite

Distinguished
May 15, 2006
Given that AMD's architecture still seems to hold a bit more oomph over intel's (but not nearly as much as it used to), may we see a generation of AMD dominance -- this time process-based?

Ummm, where is the oomph? Is it so fast that no benchmark can catch it?