Sign in with
Your question

Will my processor/Motherboard bottleneck my Graphics card?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 21, 2012 8:42:58 PM

I have an Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 @ 2.5ghz (4 cpu) with 4gig of ram and an old intel G33 motherboard. (The computer is a Gateway FX 7026) I went from a 9800GT that was playing MW3, various other games fine with great frame rates. Upon trying to play SWTOR or Skyrim that was a no go.

I upgraded power supply to 600W and bought a GTX 560. Now I cannot play any game at any frame rate > 20fps, I even tend to lag opening browsers and streaming or watching movies.

I've tested two power supplies and two GTX 560s so I know its not either of those, my only idea left is that the motherboard / processor is slowing the card down.

Ideas? Should I go buy a lesser card for the time being that the computer could possibly handle

More about : processor motherboard bottleneck graphics card

a c 92 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
January 21, 2012 8:45:04 PM

you should try using driver sweeper to unintall drivers and reinstalling the latest drivers for the 560.

its not your cpu.
m
l
January 21, 2012 8:50:57 PM

esrever said:
you should try using driver sweeper to unintall drivers and reinstalling the latest drivers for the 560.

its not your cpu.

First thanks for the response

I've been at this for a few weeks now. I've got a fresh install of Windows 7 Ultimate going and I've tried just about every single Nvidia driver from 275 on up. Still it's not doing anything.

I've tried two power supplies and two different cards with the same results so I've ruled those out to be the issue. The only thing I can even begin to think it would be is the board or processor.
m
l
Related resources
a c 92 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
January 21, 2012 9:00:45 PM

did you use driver sweeper?
m
l
January 21, 2012 9:10:46 PM

Yes, I just did and I'm reinstalling the drivers now.
m
l
January 21, 2012 9:19:58 PM

Are you using the same graphical settings as before?

And 2.5ghz won't cut it for most games these days, you would need to Overclock it although i see that you have a gateway so i don't think you can.
m
l
a c 120 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
January 21, 2012 9:26:05 PM

shoulda got a card with more vram. 1gig cards are useless anymore. lower your settings and look for game patches. skyrim supposed to have another patch soon.
m
l
January 21, 2012 9:29:35 PM

swifty_morgan said:
shoulda got a card with more vram. 1gig cards are useless anymore. lower your settings and look for game patches. skyrim supposed to have another patch soon.

That's definitely understood. The problem I'm having is the fact I can't run -any- game how I use to be able to, for example:

League of Legends - 400W PSU and 9800GT - 70 constant FPS
MW3 - 400W PSU 9800 GT - Crisp Clean, continues frames (never thought of checking it was always great)
Dungeon Defenders - 400W PSU 9800GT - The same, never thought of checking, always fine.

Now with

600W PSU and GTX 560

League Of Legends - 30FPS and with constant chops
MW3 - Less than 10 FPS
SWTOR - Between 10-30 FPS depending where, Less than 15 in fights.
Dungeon Defenders - Choppy as all hell.

What I'm trying to figure out is why exactly I can't even play the simple games with this video card.
m
l
January 21, 2012 9:30:20 PM

leenoshiro said:
Are you using the same graphical settings as before?

And 2.5ghz won't cut it for most games these days, you would need to Overclock it although i see that you have a gateway so i don't think you can.

Pre GTX 560 I was running LoL, and other games completely fine. After installing 560 I cant run them at all thats playable.

m
l
January 21, 2012 9:30:37 PM

esrever said:
did you use driver sweeper?

Reinstalled, No change.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 21, 2012 9:32:20 PM

Nah, 1GB cards are still relevant. I play skyrim just fine with some high resolution texture mods on a 768MB GTX 460.

But yeah, drivers are definitely the problem here.
m
l
January 21, 2012 9:32:21 PM

maybe you can try Nvidia Beta drivers, i believe its up to 290.53
m
l
a c 120 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
January 21, 2012 9:35:23 PM

reinstall motherboard drivers off disc. check ram speed and see if it's running in dual channel mode ( bios ). check pci-e rate. manually set it at 100 ( bios ). turn off physics from nvidia control panel. check other settings in nvidia control panel. does mobo have a second pci-e slot ? ( 8 or 16x ) if so try card in that. right click on game icon. run in DX9 mode if possible. run in compatibility mode for ( XP/?, etc )
m
l
January 21, 2012 9:35:55 PM

fb39ca4 said:
Nah, 1GB cards are still relevant. I play skyrim just fine with some high resolution texture mods on a 768MB GTX 460.

But yeah, drivers are definitely the problem here.

I just can't see how or why it would be drivers.

I started off on Vista 64, had the problem and did a complete format of the drive. Installed Win7 fresh.

Loaded up 275, 280, 285s, 290.53 - All drivers give the same outcome.

m
l
a c 92 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
January 21, 2012 9:37:57 PM

over 1 gb of vram is useless for anything below 2560x1600. There has been extensive tests with the 1gb 6950 and 2 gb 6950 and the difference is 0, most of the time the 1 gb is actually a slight bit faster because of less latency when there is less memory.

even if your gpu is bottlenecked, your fps would not lower. so I don't think its that. can you check your gpu/cpu usage and temps when you try and run a game?

m
l
January 21, 2012 9:38:18 PM

swifty_morgan said:
reinstall motherboard drivers off disc. check ram speed and see if it's running in dual channel mode ( bios ). check pci-e rate. manually set it at 100 ( bios ). turn off physics from nvidia control panel. check other settings in nvidia control panel. does mobo have a second pci-e slot ? ( 8 or 16x ) if so try card in that. right click on game icon. run in DX9 mode if possible. run in compatibility mode for ( XP/?, etc )

Motherboard Drivers are good.

Will check Ram Speed in Bios, I'll also change the PCI rate from 32 to a higher rate.

I'll turn off Physics. The mobo does not have another PCI-E slot its a bit older board. I'll also try running in Dx9 instead of 11
m
l
January 21, 2012 9:39:21 PM

esrever said:
over 1 gb of vram is useless for anything below 2560x1600. There has been extensive tests with the 1gb 6950 and 2 gb 6950 and the difference is 0, most of the time the 1 gb is actually a slight bit faster because of less latency when there is less memory.

even if your gpu is bottlenecked, your fps would not lower. so I don't think its that. can you check your gpu/cpu usage and temps when you try and run a game?

Yes I do. The GPU usage never goes above like 40-50% the CPUs do tend to get a bit higher.

m
l
January 21, 2012 9:47:12 PM

swifty_morgan said:

No differences after making the changes.
m
l
a c 92 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
January 21, 2012 9:54:04 PM

this is rather strange. does your fps go even lower when you up settings?
m
l
January 21, 2012 9:58:01 PM

esrever said:
this is rather strange. does your fps go even lower when you up settings?

It's very strange, and oddly enough I was just about to post on this.

In SW:TOR right now I'm running around between around 30 FPS lets say.

If I LOWER the Texture/Character quality my FPS will actually drop. Also - I am forcing 32CSAA to give me these frame rates. If I turn off AA entirely, they will lower.
m
l
a c 120 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
January 21, 2012 10:08:06 PM

maybe you can try your new card in someone elses' machine or try someone elses' card in your machine. if your old card work perhaps the new card is defective.

to the poster about the 6850 1gig vs 2gig. try both cards for yourself in demanding games above 1900 resolution and tell me which one spits and sputters for lack of vram. Been down that road. I don't trust other peoples "automated' benchmark charts. They don't tell the entire truth.
m
l
January 21, 2012 10:11:47 PM

swifty_morgan said:
maybe you can try your new card in someone elses' machine or try someone elses' card in your machine. if your old card work perhaps the new card is defective.

to the poster about the 6850 1gig vs 2gig. try both cards for yourself in demanding games above 1900 resolution and tell me which one spits and sputters for lack of vram. Been down that road. I don't trust other peoples "automated' benchmark charts. They don't tell the entire truth.

Yea, I've tried two different GTX 560s and both presented the same issue :( 
m
l
a c 92 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
January 21, 2012 10:15:53 PM

sounds like some kinda of software issue.

maybe try a not 560 if you can.
m
l
a c 120 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
January 21, 2012 10:16:00 PM

don't know what to say. you can try resetting the cmos. maybe something's askew/ you didn't cause a static shock when messing with the cards ? mobo may be shot.... ????

hows about windows update. anything there ?
m
l
January 21, 2012 10:18:48 PM

Yea. Don't think I shocked anything. I tried a Gigabyte 560 and an EVGA 560.

Not sure on how about resetting CMOS but I'll give it a shot @ Google.
m
l
a c 120 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
January 21, 2012 10:23:55 PM

reset cmos/jumper on board-see booklet..... or remove and replace battery 1minute should do it.

you can go into the device manager. find your card. right click after opening and select uninstall. reboot/let windows find card. see how it works. later you can install the downloaded nvidia drivers........ als, when installing drivers DO NOT install the audio drivers ( just physx and graphics.
m
l
a c 92 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
January 21, 2012 10:28:57 PM

try running 3dmark11
m
l
January 21, 2012 11:07:32 PM

Yea. Something is going on. As I type this I can barely open a web browser. I've tried everything I could think of along with the suggestions from others so I'm just going to buy a new computer entirely.

Thanks for the suggestions guys
m
l
September 17, 2012 12:42:56 AM

I know this is an old thread but this information may be useful to anyone who needs it. I had the same problem when I upgraded to a GTX570 graphics card, frame rates were choppy and very low. Everything was fixed after I uninstalled a program that came on a CD with the card. GamerOSD I think it was. It caused every game I played to have low frame rate and after removing this everything was perfect.
m
l
September 17, 2012 1:17:43 AM

DEATH TO THE NECRO!
m
l
!