Desperate 6550D questions

DA70Judge455

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
I am on a new build of an ASUS F1A75-V Pro with AMD A8-3850, 16GB G.SKILL, Seagate 750GB Hybrid. I wanted to use the onboard graphics. The OS will be Windows 7 Ultimate 64x.

I installed the OS, with all the patches. ASUS updates and flashed the BIOS. AMD/ATI from optical then updated.

System will either freeze or BSOD after login -< 3 minutes. Only way to get this thing to stay running is to either disable the 6550D drivers or to delete them !!

For Trouble shooting purposes, I uninstalled the ASUS drivers and reinstalled. AMD/ATI drivers and then reinstalled. Switched from a VGA flat panel to a HDMI flat panel. Swaped memory locations, then installed new memory. Tweked the NB to force IGFX.

Nothing seems to help, does anyone have any ideals ??

BTW The mini-dumps don't reveal much info, just generic STOP's. This symptons are very similar to Article Number GPU-114.

DA70Judge455

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012

Yes, all AMD/ATI/ASUS/Microsoft updates have been applied, I have also attempted lower rev's just to make sure.

DA70Judge455

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012

Is this good enough ? Do you need more??

Microsoft (R) Windows Debugger Version 6.12.0002.633 AMD64
Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Loading Dump File [C:\Windows\Minidump\011612-16801-01.dmp]
Mini Kernel Dump File: Only registers and stack trace are available

Symbol search path is: SRV*c:\symbols*http://msdl.microsoft.com/downloads/symbols
Executable search path is:
Windows 7 Kernel Version 7601 (Service Pack 1) MP (4 procs) Free x64
Product: WinNt, suite: TerminalServer SingleUserTS
Built by: 7601.17640.amd64fre.win7sp1_gdr.110622-1506
Machine Name:
Kernel base = 0xfffff800`02e62000 PsLoadedModuleList = 0xfffff800`030a7670
Debug session time: Mon Jan 16 14:25:59.641 2012 (UTC - 5:00)
System Uptime: 0 days 0:20:48.311
Loading Kernel Symbols
Loading User Symbols
Loading unloaded module list
* Bugcheck Analysis *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 101, {31, 0, fffff880039d5180, 3}

Probably caused by : Unknown_Image ( ANALYSIS_INCONCLUSIVE )

Followup: MachineOwner
---------

DA70Judge455

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
I assume that you mean a gerneric "Drive Sweeper" as oppose to a certain product done that. I have gone as far as using reparing the registry myself. Still same results. Those of you that might think of Registry corruption, I have reinstalled the OS (This Time w/o patches). Same results. Thos of you might be thinking of a hard drive error (it is possible), I have reformated the drive and ran extensive test's on it. Any other ideals ??

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Are you monitoring your temperatures in any way (like with hwmonitor)? If so, what are you idle temps (before it locks up)? I would normally ask for your loaded temps as well, but getting those is unlikely at this point.

Also, what make/model of PSU are you using? Do you have both the 4-pin and 24-pin power connectors firmly plugged into the motherboard sockets (until they click into place)?

I am sending this message from a very similar system (A8-3850, Gigabyte mobo, 16GB RAM, I also have a HD6570 CFed with the on-board). The big difference between my rig and yours in your hybrid HDD.

Do you have another "regular" HDD that you could connect just for troubleshooting? If not, is your HDD connected to a SATA 2.0 (3 Gbit/s) or SATA 3.0 6 GBit/s) port on your motherboard? If SATA III connect to a SATA II port and try again.

Just trying to rule things out at this point.

DA70Judge455

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
I chose the following design based upon the need for SATA II and USB 3.0 support. The decision to go with AMD over Intel was because of Sandy Bridge’s use of the PCI bandwidth. The system will be required to support a large amount of VM’s. Here is how I wrote out the minimum spec’s

ASUS F1A75-V Pro (because the large number of SATA ports)
AMD A8-3850 (because I wanted to get decent graphics from onboard video)
Cooler Master HAF-932 X (large enough to house an animal)
OCZ ZX850W (good rating and durability for the amount of draw it would have)
Lite-On IHAS424-98 (great format options and with LightScribe)
Seagate SSHD SATA III (possibly w/RAID 0 in the near future)

All pieces pass all test from BIOS, ** NOTE 23cm/230mm Cooler Master does not support PWM. I do not believe that any additional cooling would be needed at this point of the build. All pieces past all test from Windows 7 64x with ASUS supplied utility software. IF AMD display driver is not loaded. The system can stand up and running for more than a week running extensive tests. Passing all test except the GPU. As soon as you load the AMD driver, a restart is required. On restart, within 3 minutes the system will freeze.

This condition has been repeated with
Microsoft Windows 7 x64 ---- Fully patched and without patches
ASUS default drivers and ASUS updated drivers
AMD/ATI drivers replacing the ASUS supplied drivers.

This leaves me with very few alternatives…
1. The DIMM’s are not on ASUS QVL (Qualified Vendor List)
2. The SSHD are not on ASUS QVL
3. The GPU is damaged

If I am correct, I should be able to install a PCIe graphics card and that should rule out the DIMM ‘s. I could use a SSD or HD to rule out the SSHD. I could try a variant of Linux, and that should rule out the Windows driver. This would leave the GPU as the failing item.

Am I missing anything else ??

bloc97

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010
Hmm... I got a BSOD after flashing a modded bios in my 6670 Card (made by Myself).

Are you sure that you didn't do some GPU/BIOS flashing before? Also, did you recently add a new hardware? It can even be an USB that is causing this...

DA70Judge455

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
There was an article posted 6/11 on AMD's website, GPU-114. It does not give details, but I am having the problem address in this article. I had the issue before I flashed the BIOS and after. I could attempt to flash it again...

At this time, I am still keeping everything to a bare min. the only USB devices are the KB and mouse.

I will add that, before the flash "the new ASUS UEFI BIOS" did not like the mouse. After the flash, there is no issues with the flash.

Additionaly, Microsoft REALLY wants to install the AMD RADEON drivers, after repeatly telling it not to. The only way that I have been able to keep MS away from it, is to disable the driver and not allow microsoft to perform any updates.

Could this be a AMD/MS conspiracy ..... :)

The CPU/APU/GPU is still my main source of frustation !!

COLGeek

Cybernaut

MS/Windows Update will try to load the drivers because a newer driver exists or the device specific driver is not already installed.

Try this. Let MS install their driver. Upon completion, restart the system. Then, install the latest driver downloaded directly from AMD (http://support.amd.com/us/Pages/AMDSupportHub.aspx). It really sounds like something with the driver install did not work properly.

DA70Judge455

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
The problem is that, if Microsoft installs the driver, the system wants to restart. Upon system restart, the system is frozen within 3 minutes. The only way around this is to have Microsoft install the driver, then disable or delete it from within "safe mode". Then install the ATI drivers, restart, then frozen within 3 minutes.

Weather it is Microsoft drivers or AMD drivers (both at differnt revs) the results are the same. The issue has been repeated with the drivers downloaded from the AMD website, downloaded from the ASUS website, and the ASUS optical distro of the drivers. I have at least four driver rev's to work with, I have tried a number of them, including the ones that were released last month. I have also tried this with and with many of the "extra" control features of the GPU (ie. like Hydra Vision)

So there must be something else... A BIOS failure, GPU, or DIMM issue going on here. I can't see anything else that I am missing. Due to the lack of information from the AMD website, there is no good explantion as to what is causing these but they have acknowledge that it exist's. Also due to the large number of Software revisions that they have put out in the last 7 months, you can get an ideal that there is some sort of issue here that they have not been forthcoming about.

DA70Judge455

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
*** UPDATE *** UPDATE *** UPDATE ***

First and foremost, I would like to thank the individuals who responded. "Listen Up", "These are the people who make the product GREAT, not the vendor's".

With this said, I appreciate the answers, although the answers were a little bit on the KISS side. I understand that the vast majority of individuals really need this but I was way past this step before I created the thread.

I have finally resolved the issue and wanted to past this issue along incase anyone else has the same issue. The previous responders all did the correct approach to addressing the issue. However, I need to get a bit further, I wanted it to work regardless on the time spent on it. If AMD/ATI/ASUS had a better service, I properly would have sent the whole package to one them to "fix it" ! I also know a number a number of local computer savvy individuals who would have easily taken money from me without any knowledge of what they are doing....

For me this is how I solved the issue, first I did exactly what the other posters had already told me to do. My first step was to eliminate software as the issue. Since I had already installed the software many times already, it must be a hardware or BIOS setting's. In regards to hardware, I have a mobo, DIMM, PS; no add-on cards installed eliminate that as an issue. BIOS was backed up and updated. Results were still the same. I messed around attempting various BIOS settings, this did change the end result. I changed the monitor from a D-pin to HDMI monitor, with still the same results. BTW; the first monitor was a flat panel from ACER with only a D-pin connector. The second is a newer flat panel from Dell with D-pin and HDMI connectors.

I found an older RADEON 4670 add-on card, installed that to the D-pin ACER monitor and booted with RADEON 6550 HD disabled allowed MS Windows to install the driver. I then rebooted with the RADEON 6550 HD enabled. It worked like a charm no issues. I left the system up and running for 24+ hours at idle and then with a load, still no issues. You might be asking what this proves, this proves that AMD/ATI Catalyst drivers were installed and running correctly and that there was not a problem with PS or DIMM’s. This did not prove that the 6550 HD AMD/ATI hardware display driver was correct, but all other components of the ASUS/AMD/ATI system were, for the most part working. I still did not have the IGFX, but I did have a running system. All right, next was to take a step back and double check everything.

I also have an odd Gateway flat panel that I really like. I say odd, because it has HDMI, DVI, and VGA (aka D-pin) inputs. It also has a 16:10 aspect ratio. Call me old if you want but, I like 16:10 as oppose to 16:9 aspect ratio. I think that vendors would sell a lot more flat panels if they revert back to 16:10, especially since the older people purchasing the monitors preferring 4:3 would go to 16:10 first. Anyway I plugged this into the RADEON 4670 D-pin and then to the DVI, without any issues ! This proves that this monitor would work with this mobo combination and nothing else. I fully understand that.

For S&G I moved the Gateway monitor to the RADEON 6550 HD D-pin connected and booted. No issues with the system. Next step, for S&G, was to check that HDMI would work and it did. You got keep in mind that the RADEON 4670 was still installed and enabled. Next step was to disable the RADEON 4670 and test, it worked, Next step was to delete and remove the RADEON 4670. It still worked without any issues.

IN SUMMARY

The flat panels that I was previously using: the ACER (D-pin) and Dell (D-pin and HDMI). Was causing the BSOD, mouse lock-ups, and system reboots. A odd Gateway flat panel fix this issue. I do fully believe that an AMD/ATI/ASUS software revision would have fixed the issue by now. But, I guess this is what the call being on the “bleeding edge”.

Campin Jay

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013
I have not yet tried a different monitor, but I am having the same issue with 6550D. This issue is ongoing and I have been forced to use a PCIe video card. My monitor has both DVI and VGA connectors, but using either one with onboard video will produce a random BSOD inside a 3 to 30 minute window. The latest drivers were installed.

It doesn't make sense that a VGA connected monitor could cause a BSOD. I understand HDMI involves a protocol and the establishment of an encrypted connection, so in that connection type the monitor firmware could have an effect on the host machine. But I would not be satisfied to be told my VGA was simply incompatible with my mobo and/or this 6550D hardware. I smell a driver glitch.

For the record:
Biostar A75MG Mobo (only the launch BIOS is available)
A8 3870 APU
Win 8 64bit Clean install
Verbatim 47378 SATA 3 SSD
8 gig of DDR3 1866mHz

DA70Judge455

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
Currently I run the 6550D via VGA to the Gateway monitor and use the PCI addon card with HDMI to the same monitor. With this combo I can switch the monitor modes to either. After several combinations, I have found that the best way to say goodbye to BSOD, was to use a addon PCI and disable the 6550D from within device manager. But do not disable the VGA from within the BIOS as you will need it for any ASUS ROM updates and VGA is the prefered way for low level configuration of the mobo.

I also found a memory timing issue with the mobo which may have contributed to the 6550D issues. But note: I did try to different RAM configs when I was attempting to troubleshoot the initial BSOD issue. For this, I tweak the "RAM auto config", from within the BIOS.

An additional note, I did try different driver software revs and BIOS revs. Yeah... too much time on my hands!