Sign in with
Your question
Solved

First Ever From Scratch Build

Last response: in Systems
March 28, 2012 12:40:13 PM

Hello everyone,
In my spare time, I have been doing hours upon hours of research on different components to see which would be an excellent high-end system primarily for gaming. I have never build a computer from scratch before, the best I've done is case+psu+cooling already in place. Below is what I am currently thinking for my new PC and would love any input you have about compatibility or if I have missed some components etc. I have also never used water-cooling before but I read that it's so much better than fans that I just can't ignore it, so if my cooling isn't enough or is overboard, let me know =)

Motherboard: P9X79 DELUXE
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-3960k (don't think an extra $400 for a tiny bit better processor wasn't worth it for the x)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance/Dominator 32/64GB 1600/1866Mhz
Video Card: 2/3x EVGA GeForce GTX 680 SC+ w/Backplate (still deciding on whether to bother with 3 - can't find mobo which supports 3 slots with pci-e 3 x16)
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 1050W TPG-1050M SLI & CrossFire X Ready ATX12V 80PLUS Gold Active PFC ATX 1150 Power Supply TPG-1050M
Cooling: CyberPower Xtreme Hydro Liquid Cooling Kit 240MM w/ Dual Fan(CPU & GPU Liquid Cool Capable, Extreme Overclcking Performance + Extreme Slient at 18dBA)
SSD: Corsair Force Series™ 3 240GB SATA 3 6Gb/s Solid-State Hard Drive (TRIM Support)
HDD: WD Caviar Green 2TB (didn't think I needed black if I'm using SSD for main drive)
Case: Cooler Master HAF X Full Tower (haven't really researched cases...)
Monitor: 1/2 24" screens, haven't decided on this yet

Again, a lot of this is just what I've read about in my spare time, but if I have screwed up somewhere and got some smoke and mirrors components please let me know, and I'm always up for ideas if you have a better idea for components. Budget doesn't bother me too much but obviously the less it is the more money I keep..

Thanks in advance everyone.

More about : scratch build

Best solution

March 28, 2012 12:57:52 PM

Unless your heart is set on the x79 I'd go with an 1155 board, maybe a Z77 for the overclocking potential. And I'd wait for the new Ivy Bridges. Good luck with your build.
Related resources
March 28, 2012 1:09:00 PM

Chaz21 said:
Unless your heart is set on the x79 I'd go with an 1155 board, maybe a Z77 for the overclocking potential. And I'd wait for the new Ivy Bridges. Good luck with your build.

Will the x79 chip be better than the Ivy Bridge 1155 ones? I can't really tell what a 10nm difference would make since I am no hardware engineer..
m
l
March 28, 2012 1:23:16 PM

brads2012 said:
Will the x79 chip be better than the Ivy Bridge 1155 ones? I can't really tell what a 10nm difference would make since I am no hardware engineer..

Well if the added memory bandwidth and PCIe lane are worth the extra cost then by all means go with the x79 chipset. It's just not that vital to 90% of users.
m
l
March 28, 2012 1:23:38 PM

see

performance wise x79 > z77

power wise z77<x79

performance / power consumption z77 > x79

if you are planning to future proof then x79 is a good option now but i would say wait for z77 and ive bridge.

and please fill the form i posted
m
l
March 28, 2012 1:28:27 PM

Price to Performance 1155 is much better. The cost of x79 is not worth it and to be honest its not much more future proof since it has only 1 more generation of cpu left. So even if you go x79 I highly doubt you are going to upgrade within the next year to Ivy Bridge-E. So what is the point of going for x79 if you probably won't upgrade again on the x79? Nothing so go with 1155 and then upgrade when Haswell the new platform comes out in a year or 2.

And again please fill the form we have no clue what specs/budget you have etc.
m
l
March 28, 2012 1:50:49 PM

LGA 2011 isn't a bad socket, but I think they're overpriced based on how little performance difference there is between the i7-2600 and those procs. There are options out there for 3-way SLI for pcie 3.0 ports but the board aren't cheap. Based on the other parts you've spec'd, I am guessing that won't be that big of an issue.

Mobo:If you stick with just 2 680s (honestly, that's overkill for even battlefield 3 which is one of the most graphically intense games out at the moment), I would get the ASUS Sabertooth: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168.... If you really want to go for 3 cards, try one of the rampage series:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168....

SSD:I prefer the Intel 520 SSDs, but that Corsair will be sufficient performance-wise. I haven't read reviews on their reliability, only know which ones I have used that were rock solid (Samsung 830 & Crucial M4 series were also incredibly reliable).

HDD:WD's green series is meant for battery consumption - on a good note, the slower rpm speed usually leads to less failures but the difference is noticable. Blue is the middle of the road - you have the option for 7200rpm and they can perform. The Black series is meant to be their best of the best for consumer-grade drives.
Memory - You might want to check measurements for your cooler when mounted in that case. I usually recommend avoiding the taller heatsinks (like some of the dominator/vengence models). I love Corsair for memory, but you might curse if you don't have enough clearance to use them.
m
l
March 28, 2012 1:53:36 PM

serialkiller said:
and please fill the form i posted

I'm not buying the computer yet, I'm just tossing up ideas with the knowledge of others for blueprints. The form you posted has a lot to do with building a computer and very soon.. learning stuff like the IB chipset is what I intended since I'm not very good with the future of technology.
m
l
March 28, 2012 2:21:43 PM

Again - fill out the form;-) 1155 cpus and a good mobo and biggest part of budget for graphics will get you the best gaming computer. You don't have to wait for z77 or Ivy to have a great computer today. Just look at getting HD7970 or GTX680 - you can get 2 of each if you think you need it. Get one first but buy a quality power supply that will support 2 cards.
-Bruce
m
l
March 28, 2012 2:29:35 PM

I agree with hotthree... z68 is best for average gamers/users. an i5 -2500K and z68 mobo work for just about all midrange budgets.

but without budget, purpose, and preferences, its hard to comment.
m
l
March 28, 2012 2:36:08 PM

mojorisin23 said:
I agree with hotthree... z68 is best for average gamers/users. an i5 -2500K and z68 mobo work for just about all midrange budgets.

but without budget, purpose, and preferences, its hard to comment.

Assuming you actually read what I said instead of skimming it, I did mention it's primarily for high-end gaming and budget doesn't bother me.
m
l
April 4, 2012 1:13:33 PM

Best answer selected by brads2012.
m
l
!