2 routers in the same house?

romanrp

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2011
Hello, my downstairs PC is wire connected and my upstairs pc is wireless.
The wireless is driving me crazy, I want wire on both but I dont seem to be able to do that.
I have 2 routers, the O2 wireless(thomson tg585 v7) and a Linksys WAG54G1-UK.
I have tried using them both but It did not work.
Please help.

Basically, what I want is to have wired connection upstairs and downstairs, without using a massive cable.

It's not clear what you're trying to achieve here. Presumably the Thomson is your primary router. If you want to use wire for the pc upstairs, then obviously you can run a wire from upstairs to downstairs. So how does the Linksys come into the picture? Are you trying to use it as a wireless bridge? Something tells me yes, then again, you're already not satisfied w/ wireless from the PC to the Thomson, so I'm not sure wireless bridging would be any better.

jertwobits

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2011
I am going on an assumption here that you have either DSL or cable internet. What you will need to do, is use one router as your primary to your modem. The second router will need to be attached from the WAN port on it to one of the LAN ports on your primary router. This will assign an IP address to that port on the second router. Now here is the tricky part. You want to set the DHCP on the second router to a similar ip addressing in a different range.

For example:

If your primary router is set to assign IP's starting at 192.168.10.1 and assign up to 50 IP addresses,

Then,

You will want to set the starting IP to something abouve 51. So you may want to start it at 192.168.10.100.

This will allow networking across the two routers, and still allow everybody access to the internet.

Side note:
When you run through a second router, there is usually about a 50% drop in the available bandwidth, so you may just do better to run a cable upstairs from the first router anyways, or even consider purchasing a network switch to allow for the router to pass through there.

romanrp

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2011
Basically, what I want is to have wired connection upstairs and downstairs.
Right now I am using a usb wireless adapter, and I am not sure whether PCI will be any better.
And thanks jertwobis, I will try that, although I am not sure how to do that.
I had a look in 192.168.1.254 and didnt see anything like that there.

jertwobits

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2011
You will need to hard wire to the router and log into it. The best way to do that is to check the documentation on the router for the settings. If that is not possible, then you will want to open up a command prompt while connected to the router and type in IPCONFIG. It will give you a default gateway. That IP is your router. You can open an internet browser and type that IP into the address bar and it will take you to your router configuration. Depending on the router there may be a login required. Once again you will need to check your documentation for the router for the default login.

Also, a step that I missed earlier:

In the general settings for you router, it will have an option for the router IP. You will need to make sure that they do not match on both routers. The first three sets of numbers will need to be the same, but the last set will need to be out of the range of the other IP address ranges.

Best of luck to you!