Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

System Passes POST with single beep, no video.

Last response: in Systems
Share
March 28, 2012 2:44:02 PM

Hi everyone. First build since Socket 939. Specs are as follows.

CPU - Intel Core i5 2500k
MB - Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3
Case - Corsair Obsidian 650 D
Memory - 16 gb Corsair XMS3 DDR3
GPU - nVIDIA 9600GT (looking to upgrade this component last)
PS - Antec NeoPower 650
SSD - Corsair 64 gb

The system seems to past POST just fine according to the system speaker. I get one short beep, all of the fans are spinning and lights are working. Keyboard and Mouse (both USB) light up and I can even CTL+ALT+DEL on the keyboard to reset the system (I can only determine this by seeing the lights switch off after entering the command and then the lights come back on). I have run through the series of tests listed and more specifically have set this rig up in a breadboard setup and still have the same results. The system seems to POST but I have no video signal. I know it's not my monitor as I have tested two working displays. The GPU is not broken either as I have tested my two video cards on other systems and they are working fine. Each single DIMM test results in the same single beep and then no signal from the video source. I have tried the onboard video (the GPU on the CPU and the HDMI port on the MB) and that also results in the same. I don't believe my PS is weak for this type of setup. It is worth mentioning that my CPU ATX power connector is a 4pin and not an 8pin. Though research has told me that this shouldn't be a problem. My last attempt over the course of several hours of troubleshooting was to remove the CMOS battery and also try resetting the CMOS using the jumper. This did not fix my problem either. The socket on the MB does not appear to have any pinched or bent pins.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
March 28, 2012 3:57:09 PM

Buckeye_Nick said:
Hi everyone. First build since Socket 939. Specs are as follows.

CPU - Intel Core i5 2500k
MB - Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3
Case - Corsair Obsidian 650 D
Memory - 16 gb Corsair XMS3 DDR3
GPU - nVIDIA 9600GT (looking to upgrade this component last)
PS - Antec NeoPower 650
SSD - Corsair 64 gb

The system seems to past POST just fine according to the system speaker. I get one short beep, all of the fans are spinning and lights are working. Keyboard and Mouse (both USB) light up and I can even CTL+ALT+DEL on the keyboard to reset the system (I can only determine this by seeing the lights switch off after entering the command and then the lights come back on). I have run through the series of tests listed and more specifically have set this rig up in a breadboard setup and still have the same results. The system seems to POST but I have no video signal. I know it's not my monitor as I have tested two working displays. The GPU is not broken either as I have tested my two video cards on other systems and they are working fine. Each single DIMM test results in the same single beep and then no signal from the video source. I have tried the onboard video (the GPU on the CPU and the HDMI port on the MB) and that also results in the same. I don't believe my PS is weak for this type of setup. It is worth mentioning that my CPU ATX power connector is a 4pin and not an 8pin. Though research has told me that this shouldn't be a problem. My last attempt over the course of several hours of troubleshooting was to remove the CMOS battery and also try resetting the CMOS using the jumper. This did not fix my problem either. The socket on the MB does not appear to have any pinched or bent pins.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Can you actually enter bios?
m
0
l
March 28, 2012 4:58:19 PM

What about purposefully trying to get it to error, i.e. dont put any ram in. If that is meant to give you XX beeps but it doesnt, then your board may be buggered, if it gives you the correct codes that there is no mem move on to the next thing, according to gigabytes page your cpu was supported from;bios version F3.
http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/cpu-support-p...

If your board is brand new and needs to be flashed before hand this could..be a reason why, though I dont know what bios version it would have shipped with.

If it should be working but it doesnt try an make it un-work an see if the fault codes are correct, you may find that it is your processor or RAM that is dodgy, tht is unless you can confirm it functional on something else. Start from scratch and disconnect everything no essential including that mSATA Intel 311 series SSD if its detachable, i cant see well enough from the review of your Mboard. Start with processor and RAM, and vice versa.
New build or an existing one?
m
0
l
Related resources
March 28, 2012 5:13:11 PM

Still have my socket 939, though the board needs a new graphics card as the ati 9700 agp I had now shows bios corruption.
m
0
l
March 28, 2012 5:31:29 PM

curtis_87 said:
Still have my socket 939, though the board needs a new graphics card as the ati 9700 agp I had now shows bios corruption.

?
m
0
l
March 28, 2012 8:39:59 PM

Chaz21,

I can't even access the BIOS since my displays are receiving no video signal from either the internal GPU or the 9600GT. I went back to MicroCenter today and got a replacement board as well as a new PS so tonight I'm going to try to breadboard setup the rig again and see if that gets me anywhere. It just bugs me that the system seems to past POST (when observing by ear) and still no video.
m
0
l
March 28, 2012 8:56:31 PM

Buckeye_Nick said:
Chaz21,

I can't even access the BIOS since my displays are receiving no video signal from either the internal GPU or the 9600GT. I went back to MicroCenter today and got a replacement board as well as a new PS so tonight I'm going to try to breadboard setup the rig again and see if that gets me anywhere. It just bugs me that the system seems to past POST (when observing by ear) and still no video.

Isn't it great living near a Micro Center! I'm about 20 minutes away from one myself. Anyhow - all your original parts looked good (though I'm partial to Asus boards myself) so if you got even swaps you should be good to go. It'll probably turn out to be the motherboard. :) 
How about when you set it up try 8gbs of ram 1st. Add the other 8 when everything's good to go. Let us know. Fingers crossed.
m
0
l
March 28, 2012 9:04:19 PM

What is your monitor model and its connector spec? Did you make sure that the monitor source is set either digital or auto? Is the connector snugged in the port correctly both PC and monitor side? Did you try D-sub or any other cable/connectors?
m
0
l
March 28, 2012 9:53:08 PM

*Update*

Well, I can POST in breadboard now and can access the BIOS. Once I get my Win 7 USB drive prepped I'll have another update on how the rest of the situation goes. Looks like the replacement MB or the new PSU was the key. All DIMMS are also in the board and no problems.
m
0
l
March 28, 2012 9:57:16 PM

Buckeye_Nick said:
*Update*

Well, I can POST in breadboard now and can access the BIOS. Once I get my Win 7 USB drive prepped I'll have another update on how the rest of the situation goes. Looks like the replacement MB or the new PSU was the key. All DIMMS are also in the board and no problems.

Glad to hear it!
m
0
l
!