Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Is this 7970 broken?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
January 22, 2012 12:18:19 AM





I've been trying to plug this into the PCI slot but it just won't get in, had a look at the pins (or are they called chips? sorry, i'm a noob in computer) and noticed they look a bit .. broken? Couldnt find a good picture online to compare so I guess its best to ask here.

If it's broken, should I send it to the place I bought it from (online retailer) or back to the manufacturer? (bought this last week only)

If it's supposed to be like that, is there a place where I can see some clear pictures of how it's supposed to look like when installed correctly, and maybe a clearly video tutorial showing how?
- I can only slide half of the card into the PCI slot, enough for it to lock in, but the other half of the card is only half-way in.

Many thanks.

More about : 7970 broken

January 22, 2012 1:02:54 AM

that goes into a pci express slot. not pci slot check your mother board manual for your pci express ones
January 22, 2012 1:21:19 AM

No, its not broken, that "half" chip is in the design.
Related resources
January 22, 2012 1:55:26 AM

It is allright
January 22, 2012 2:10:45 AM

Okay, thank you very much for the answers.
January 22, 2012 2:13:20 AM

What mobo are you trying to use? mine came with a small clip thing that I had to slide allll the way to the back of it just to get the thing on there (I ended up breaking the clip on accident, no biggy its not necessary to have one :)  )
January 22, 2012 6:17:50 AM

mouse24 said:
What mobo are you trying to use? mine came with a small clip thing that I had to slide allll the way to the back of it just to get the thing on there (I ended up breaking the clip on accident, no biggy its not necessary to have one :)  )



I'm using the ASUS P8Z68-V PRO Gen3. I've been trying to push it in for about 2 hours, then gave up and moved onto building the rest of my computer. I can manage to fit the "larger" section of the chips into the mobo, but the smaller part just won't make way no matter how much force I use on it (without breaking it, hopefully).

The metal part of the 7970, for the screws to connect with the case, lies just about right on top of my case's support. It just seems impossible to push the 7970 any further in than I have done, and it's roughly 40% the way into the slot.
FYI i'm using the Coolermaster HAF 932 Advanced casing.
January 22, 2012 12:18:10 PM

This is almost normal for small portions of the pins on the connector to chip away when installed in the slow the first or second time but they do not break away any further than it has already.
January 22, 2012 5:23:16 PM

nforce4max said:
This is almost normal for small portions of the pins on the connector to chip away when installed in the slow the first or second time but they do not break away any further than it has already.

they aren't breaking away, but made that way.
look at the reviews in techpowerup (they have great photos, mostly...), all the cards are like that.
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_7970/images/f...
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_7970/images/b...
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Zotac/GeForce_GTX_56...
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Zotac/GeForce_GTX_56...
etc
January 23, 2012 4:59:44 PM

zomg50 said:
I'm using the ASUS P8Z68-V PRO Gen3. I've been trying to push it in for about 2 hours, then gave up and moved onto building the rest of my computer. I can manage to fit the "larger" section of the chips into the mobo, but the smaller part just won't make way no matter how much force I use on it (without breaking it, hopefully).

The metal part of the 7970, for the screws to connect with the case, lies just about right on top of my case's support. It just seems impossible to push the 7970 any further in than I have done, and it's roughly 40% the way into the slot.
FYI i'm using the Coolermaster HAF 932 Advanced casing.


There is a little metal bit that NEEDS to go in between the mobo and the case, maybe thats what your getting stuck on?

Edit: Maybe your mobo is pushed just a tad to far to the back of the case?
January 24, 2012 2:04:56 AM

Kari said:
they aren't breaking away, but made that way.
look at the reviews in techpowerup (they have great photos, mostly...), all the cards are like that.
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_7970/images/f...
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_7970/images/b...
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Zotac/GeForce_GTX_56...
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Zotac/GeForce_GTX_56...
etc


Ahh, thanks for the pics, that definitely calmed down my heart rate lol.

mouse24 said:
There is a little metal bit that NEEDS to go in between the mobo and the case, maybe thats what your getting stuck on?

Edit: Maybe your mobo is pushed just a tad to far to the back of the case?


Right, I didn't know that there's such a thing, not sure if it was included with the stuff I bought, I dont think I had any spare unknown spare metal stuff. Also the screws for securing the mobo to the case were really small and short, so I thought I needed to tighten as much gap as I could between the two. (although I have wondered why the back panel were slightly out of place, causing the back plate not to fit as well as I wanted it to, this surely cleared that up)

Could you elaborate on where I might find this "metal thing" to slip between the mobo and case? Like, what it's technical term is and where may I find it / which component it was supposedly to come with.

Again, many thanks for the help guys.
January 24, 2012 2:38:34 AM

zomg50 said:
Ahh, thanks for the pics, that definitely calmed down my heart rate lol.



Right, I didn't know that there's such a thing, not sure if it was included with the stuff I bought, I dont think I had any spare unknown spare metal stuff. Also the screws for securing the mobo to the case were really small and short, so I thought I needed to tighten as much gap as I could between the two. (although I have wondered why the back panel were slightly out of place, causing the back plate not to fit as well as I wanted it to, this surely cleared that up)

Could you elaborate on where I might find this "metal thing" to slip between the mobo and case? Like, what it's technical term is and where may I find it / which component it was supposedly to come with.

Again, many thanks for the help guys.



Oh I just meant the little metal thing that juts out from your card, in the first pic you posted its the metal piece on the far bottom right, under the white plug, Make sure its not on top of the mobo but actually in between the case and the mobo

Can you take a picture so of you trying to put it in so we know whats going on?
January 24, 2012 9:54:53 AM

^^yeah that metal bit is the narrow straight end of the back bracket... in those pics I linked you can see it extends beyond/lower than the part of the card that goes into the pcie slot. And since that slot part should be at the level of the mobo surface, the end of the bracket must go past the edge of the mobo
January 25, 2012 10:31:43 PM

Alright, I figured out what was wrong. I did everything correctly but it turns out that the PCIe slot had a little small piece of plastic sticking out of it, at the middle between the 2 sections of chips. It was lifting the card on the larger side so I couldn't force the smaller part of the card into the slot. Looks like ASUS didn't go through their quality check as well as they thought they did :sarcastic: 

After I managed to finally put it in, I installed the drivers and got it all configured and setted up, everythings working just fine and I can finally enjoy this beastly computer :D 

Thank you for the help guys, you are the best!
January 28, 2012 1:04:55 PM

I am having the same problem. I have been trying to get this new Sapphire HD 7970 into a ASRock p67 Extreme 4 for hours now. I gave up at 12:30 last night and have been trying all morning. I pulled the mobo out and put in the 7970 and it seemed to fit okay but by the time I got it all back in the case it wasn't secure and appeared to have slid out some. About ready to pull my hair out.

Sorry for jumping your thread it just seemed like the same problem.
January 28, 2012 2:17:32 PM

waiiiit, you said that you put the card in, then picked up the mobo and transfered it into the case.... You really do not want to do that as those cards are extremely heavy and will flex the PCIe socket

Is there anything inside the socket and does the back metal bit (as previously mentioned in this thread) go where its supposed to in between the case and the mobo?
January 28, 2012 2:22:34 PM

Well I hope it didn't flex too much. Thanks for the reply but I got it in after a few hours of stress. There is a latch on the end of the PCIE slot that i didn't slid over. Once I did that it fit relatively easy. Haven't booted it yet but I think it fit properly.
January 28, 2012 2:27:03 PM

Oh yeah I mentioned that in this thread to :D  (I accidentally broke mine off when I first got my board XD)

but anywho, glad to see you got it working and happy gaming :D  post if its working
January 28, 2012 2:42:44 PM

Thanks for the reply. I have a Radeon HD 7970 and it has a 6 and 8 pin power connector. I have no idea which one to use and am having trouble finding any infomation. What's the lowdown on these jacks?
January 28, 2012 3:46:03 PM

You must use both, either one 6pin and one 8pin or one 6pin and one 6+2 pin (basically a universal 6pin/8pin, more common then a dedicated 8pin)

What power supply are you using?
January 28, 2012 3:53:11 PM

Rosewill Capstone 650W. I got them both plugged in. It is runnin'. I am just trying to get the OS loaded. It isn't seeing the DVD. I am workin' through it. Thanks.
January 28, 2012 4:04:49 PM

Is it a home-made dvd (by that I mean did you burn it yourself?) or is it straight from microsoft

Also have you checked in the bios is it picking up the first boot device as the DVD drive?
January 28, 2012 4:13:20 PM

If your unsure how to build a PC,have someone with you that HAS done it before,You guys are risking costing yourselves a lot of $.
January 28, 2012 4:17:00 PM

Nothing wrong with learning on the way, as long said person has a basic understanding of how things work, pc building really is easy, everything is labeled online and in manuals its like playing with expensive legos :) 

fit card into slot "A", plug in power connectors, screw things in, use standoffs... thats all you have to do really
January 28, 2012 4:41:04 PM

Thanks for your concern but all is well. This is not my first rodeo. Just new equipment that I am not familiar with and the lack of manuals makes it more difficult. All is well. My new computer is up and running. Can't wait to see what this 3GB HD 7970 can do!

Thanks for letting me hijack this thread!
!