Graphical Problems in Games Only

Tresk

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
Hello. I've had this computer for a little over a year and have always had graphical problems with pretty much every game I've played. In some games like Portal 2 there are no noticeable problems, but many games seem to share similar issues to the pictures below.

Notice the jagged white/grey outline around the weapons in both Skyrim and Borderlands. This happens in many games with or without AA enabled.
http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg564/Torrvus/2012-01-06_00002.jpg
http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg564/Torrvus/2012-01-06_00003.jpg
http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg564/Torrvus/2012-01-06_00001.jpg

SWTOR:
This picture is small for some reason, but look around the door frame in the center of the screen. See all those white lines/streaks?

Look at the arcs in the background. There are these white line/dashes all over them.

None of these pictures are in their native resolution (free photobucket account restrictions) so they're a bit blurry. When the games are actually running in native resolution and in motion they look MUCH worse. I sometimes have other graphics issues in some games but these lines seem to be the most common type of thing so I figured I would just use them as an example.

ASUSTeK Computer INC. P6T SE (LGA1366)
6.00 GB Triple-Channel DDR3 @ 534MHz
Intel Core i7 950 @ 3.07GHz
ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series (XFX Pine Group) Crossfired with ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series (Gigabyte)
700W Power Supply (Will check the name/type if it's really necessary)

I have tried both cards individually and in all 3 of my available PCIE slots. The exact same issues happen, so I assume it's not damaged cards but maybe I'm wrong. Drivers are completely up to date and I used driver sweeper to clean out the old drivers. Also have tried fiddling around with everything in the CCC but it doesn't help. Please help.

I honestly wonder if it is a game engine bug. The reason i say this is many developers are getting lazy as hell.

See APB does this, but only with AA on. Look around the character. Click for a bigger image.
D31A44564922106E29DDAB8D0E5B3B82B37FDDD0

Your SWTOR Images look like some kind of pixel shader effect or bump map. Those do not get AA and can have a strange jaggies look to them. I am almost sure i have seen that in some games as well.

Tresk

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
Alright so my PSU is a 700W XION Xon-700p12n. I assume that's enough power for at least one of the cards to work correctly right?

@DM186: I'm not sure what you mean exactly but I have tried all the setting in Catalyst AI from performance to High quality and have noticed no difference.

@lycros: AF doesn't seem to have anything to do with it.

@nukemaster: Yeah that image definitely illustrates the kinds of things I see in games, but it's in pretty much every game I play so it's definitely something on my end.

I just gave a go to boarderlands looked "Normal". Soon as i turned on AA(In CCC) it had some outlines, but maybe not as much as you have?

BB19A6D5E652137B123C5D8CC330E5F105855FAA

I am going to recommend you go restore your CCC setting to default, just in case(Games-> 3d application settings -> defaults).

Failing that, Try without crossfire, maybe it is the problem.

DM186

Splendid

You did what I ment. I keep forgetting that Nvidia is different then AMD when it comes to that sort of thing.

Tresk

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012

The cards both have the same problems individually though, so I don't think it's crossfire. I've tried defaults with CCC in several games and it doesn't seem to be the problem.

Thanks to all who have replied. I'm starting to think that maybe it's my power supply. Is there a way I can check to see if it's faulty (other than trying a different power supply out)?

If you have a multimeter, you can test the voltage from a hard drive power connector(the older 4 pin ones). This has to be done at load for accurate tests.

Whatever you do, DO NOT SHORT any thing OUT(touching black to any other color without it going into the meter. do not let your meter leads touch either). The meter setting should be DCV under 20volts or and close to 12 as you can get. With a auto range meter, its just DCV.

Black to Yellow should me close to 12volts
Black to Red should be close 5volts.

Would have to be a real bad power supply as 57XX cards do not take much power.

EDIT,.....

I am more and more sure its the damn games.

Image from Majin Sephiroth @ xfire. And that is with a GTX 570
120799981-4.jpg

Image from Xfire, some similar outlines. I think that was a 5870 card.
103831417-4.jpg