Intel i5 2500 thermal compound help

tinytheboss

Honorable
Mar 12, 2012
So yesterday i tried switching fans with my friend, because he got a new one, and i had an old stock intel cooler, he gave me his new intel stock cooler, so i took my cooler off no problem, and put on the new one. I opened OCCT to stress test my cpu, and after 2 mins it fails. So i switched fans again to my old stock cooler. but then the stress test fails after 10 secs, by failing i mean it gets too hot over 85 degrees.
When im playing Battlefield 3, its about 80 degrees, but the fans are going nuts and its set at auto in the bios, should i change that?
And also now both the fans are making more sound, is this because the thermal compound came off, when i took the cooler off?
Should i go get some thermal compound and apply, will that help? i don't want to buy a new fan because i only want to run my i5 2500 at stock speed 3,3 ghz.
Thanks for the help :)

Yes, absolutely get some new paste and reapply. You need to thoroughly clean off the old stuff from both the CPU and the base of the cooler before you do it though.

For future reference, you can never remove a heatsink and reuse the paste that it already has on it, and you just saw why.

Anytime you remove a heatsink from the CPU you need to clean off the old thermal paste and apply new thermal paste.

I generally recommend Arctic Silver 5. A small pea size or large grain of rice amount should be spread the CPU's surface. Read the instructions that comes with whatever thermal paste you decide to buy.

tinytheboss

Honorable
Mar 12, 2012

Thanks will buy that soon :)