cactwma

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012
Hi, doing my first build and I'm not sure how many or which fans to get, could you help me out?

Here's my spec:

BitFenix Shinobi case
Intel Core i5-2500K 3.30GHz (Sandybridge) Socket LGA1155
Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Z68 Socket 1155
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 560Ti OC 1024MB
Corsair XMS3 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit
Samsung F4EG 2TB HDD

Here's the fan options for the case:
- Front Cooling: 2 x 120mm Fans (optional)
- Rear Cooling: 1 x 120mm Fan (included) or 1 x 92mm Fan (optional)
- Top Cooling: 2 x 140mm Fans (optional) or 2 x 120mm Fans (optional)
- Bottom Cooling: 1 x 120mm Fan (optional)

Obviously it will be used for gaming and general computer usage, but I don't want my components to overheat or for it to be too noisy.

Thanks for any help.

Hello cactwma;

Your components aren't known as excessively hot parts. What kind of load temps are you getting now? You'll want to know the baseline performance so you know what impact the extra fans have.

Doesn't the Shinobi have 2x 120mm fans included? One at the rear, one at the front?

cactwma

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012
Hi, thanks for the quick reply.

The system isn't actually built yet. I have bought most of the components and now only need the fans and the optical drive. Yes, there are 2 120mm fans included, but I have been recommended by others who have the case to get fans that aren't included as they aren't the best and get noisy after a while.

On a side-note, I'm not sure whether to build the system myself, or get someone to do it for me. Any tips there?

As for building it yourself look over these info. After reading about how a build goes you'll have a better idea if you want to go ahead or ask for help.
And if you have friends who have built theirs you can always invite them over to lend a hand.

Here is a Step-by-Step Guide to Building a PC

Look over the forum's "System won't boot" checklist to see some of the common build errors and how to avoid them.

-> The usual advice; read the manual / install guide; look at the parts, read the manual again and if everything makes sense and looks right - then go ahead with the install.

While you're waiting for delivery you can download the online version of the motherboard manual and start getting familiar with it. Same for the other parts you want to order if they have install guides or manuals available.

cactwma

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012
Aah, forgot about the CPU cooler, that's another component not ordered! I was thinking maybe the Titan Fenrir Evo but not sure to be quite honest.

Here's my PSU too. Forgot about that somehow - Corsair CMPSU-850HX Professional Series 850W Power Supply

Very nice PSU.
Planning on a 2nd video card?

Not sure the Titan Fenrir Evo would fit in that case. Have you seen any positive indication it can?
I've seen a few reviews that caution against the tallest CPU coolers and Fenrir Evo @ 160 mm is among the tallest.

cactwma

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012
Maybe, just trying to future proof a bit. May get an SSD and install OS on it next year and maybe another 560 Ti for SLI.

Any CPU cooler recommendations? Sure the CM fans will be good enough? I've been looking at some Scythe fans which look good but not sure whether it is worth the money.

Cheers.

You bought a quiet case for a reason, I'm thinking.
More than doubling the air flow through the case should be enough to keep temps under control. And the quiet 19dBA rating shouldn't generate a lot of extra noise.
I looked at the Scythe fans too. The CM move about as much air as some of the Scythes at a lower price.