Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

I think i'm ready to order. Any last minute input?

Last response: in Systems
Share
March 28, 2012 7:35:11 PM

Here's the link: http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...


I also am finding alot of issues with every motherboard. The guides on this site pretty much say Gigabyte is the best way to go.
Also a few other concers:
*PSU okay?
*GPU overkill?(overclock & bottleneck issues?)
*CPU overkill?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ :bounce: 
a b V Motherboard
March 28, 2012 8:17:06 PM

PSU is fine - the 680s are more energy efficient than previous generations.

680 is the best of the best right now - there's no such thing as overkill on GPUs, unless you're running say - quad 680s but a single will do fine.

As far as the CPU goes - that's certainly debatable. I'm personally a fan of the X79 platform and will be upgrading my system to it later this year.

What I think is overkill are your keyboard/mouse/cooler setup - in no way/shape/form would I spent $150 on a keyboard, I might spend $70 on a mouse depending on how good it is, but the liquid cooler isn't necessary when you can get a strong air fan like a D14: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
March 28, 2012 8:18:42 PM

In order to answer your questions, we need to know what you're going to be using your system for?
(I.E. gaming, video editing...)
m
0
l
Related resources
March 28, 2012 9:22:12 PM

Yes you nailed it. I frequently do video editing and gaming.
@h-unit1111: H100 is out and the D14 is in.
m
0
l
March 28, 2012 9:41:20 PM

Looks like a solid build to me. Any changes I would make would only be personal preference, and not because of quality or performance. It those respects, everything looks good.
m
0
l
March 28, 2012 9:48:38 PM

Looks good from here too. I'm sure you've figured out all the SW and OS too?
m
0
l
March 28, 2012 9:51:07 PM

I already have Windows 7 Ultimate edition, but SW?
m
0
l
March 28, 2012 9:53:45 PM

You might consider this Seagate 2TB 7200 SATA 6GB/s Harddrive instead of the Western Digital.
It costs less, but doubles the space. That, and I've had 4 Western Digital drives crap out on me after 6mo-1yr use in the past 2-3 years. WD has definitely let their quality control slip.

Only other thing I can think of is you might consider dropping some of that dough on lower latency memory. You're spending quite a bit, but looks like you're getting the cheapest 240-pin DDR3 16000 (PC3 12800), G.SKILL memory. Personally, I'd go for this Corsair Vengeance Same 240pin DDR3 16000 at 1.5V, but with CAS Latency of 7 and 7-8-8-24 timing.

Good luck on getting a GTX 680... I'm waiting for them to come in stock before ordering my system too.
m
0
l
March 28, 2012 9:58:56 PM

I've heard bad things bad things about both companies. So this is another reason I am holding out on buying this so quickly. Those Corsair Vengence you picked out are not on the compatibility list of the motherboard so I'll just go with the 8gb ones that are on the list. Is 8gb enough?
m
0
l
March 28, 2012 10:21:34 PM

Check the latest update of your MBoard's compatibility list... Odds are that ram wasn't released since they've last updated it. It should be compatible but I was also just trying to give an example of something better.

8GB is pretty much the standard now... Not gonna find too much that requires (utilizes) more than that unless you're doing some pretty strenuous 3d rendering/modelling, or video editing. Remember; Games pull more from the GPU than Memory, and you've got the GPU covered. That said, your motherboard supports quad channel and memory is a lot cheaper than a year ago even... so might as well double up to 16GB with 4x4GB.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
March 28, 2012 10:27:14 PM

rodcopperbottom said:
Yes you nailed it. I frequently do video editing and gaming.
@h-unit1111: H100 is out and the D14 is in.


Much better decision - the D14 will be far safer and worry-free than the H100 will be.

Quote:
You might consider this Seagate 2TB 7200 SATA 6GB/s Harddrive instead of the Western Digital.
It costs less, but doubles the space. That, and I've had 4 Western Digital drives crap out on me after 6mo-1yr use in the past 2-3 years. WD has definitely let their quality control slip.


I'll use WD or Seagate far more than I'll use Hitachi and IBM - I really like Samsung drives though, my Spinpoint 1TB has been very solid and problem free for the most part, too bad Samsung sold their HD division to Seagate though.
m
0
l
March 28, 2012 10:35:59 PM

g-unit1111 said:
Much better decision - the D14 will be far safer and worry-free than the H100 will be.

Quote:
You might consider this Seagate 2TB 7200 SATA 6GB/s Harddrive instead of the Western Digital.
It costs less, but doubles the space. That, and I've had 4 Western Digital drives crap out on me after 6mo-1yr use in the past 2-3 years. WD has definitely let their quality control slip.


I'll use WD or Seagate far more than I'll use Hitachi and IBM - I really like Samsung drives though, my Spinpoint 1TB has been very solid and problem free for the most part, too bad Samsung sold their HD division to Seagate though.

Being that Seagate bought Samsung's Hd division, would you say the 2TB Seagate mentioned above is a safer bet?
m
0
l
March 29, 2012 1:20:41 PM

seagate is great i still have my old 300gb seagate drive from 7 years ago working nicely on my old gaming system

I use wdcb 1tb and seagate barracuda 1tb/2tb 7200rpm on most of my system the are awesome but i'm springing to seagate more since warranty is easier in my country

noctua nh-d14 is your best bet. and no I do not agree about anything overkill for a computer even using a i7 3960x with quad7970/680 for gpu, it's either you can afford it or not and if you want it or not (since you most likely wont need quad gpu setup)

anyways on your list go with noctua nh-d14, should fit your case nicely. everything else is good but about that cougar fans i do suggest going noctua fans and if you don't like the color you can always color it black as they do sell quality fans,
m
0
l
March 29, 2012 1:31:00 PM

i see 2 CPU coolers... Noctua and h100?
m
0
l
March 29, 2012 1:44:06 PM

Yes, I was reading another thread and they chose the cougar fans to replace the stock fans for the h100. It was also between the silenx 120mm. Again, I would use these just to replace the stock. Would you recommend Noctua over those?
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
March 29, 2012 9:48:20 PM

rodcopperbottom said:
Being that Seagate bought Samsung's Hd division, would you say the 2TB Seagate mentioned above is a safer bet?


That will be a fine choice - both Seagate and WD are good, I really like my Samsung drive and it's too bad they sold their HD division. Avoid Hitachi and IBM HDs.

Quote:
Yes, I was reading another thread and they chose the cougar fans to replace the stock fans for the h100. It was also between the silenx 120mm. Again, I would use these just to replace the stock. Would you recommend Noctua over those?


Yeah - Corsair is *NOTORIOUS* for including cheap fans with their hardware - I have a Graphite 600T and even I notice the included fans are pretty shoddy quality and very noisy. You don't want to buy a cooler and then buy 2 $25 fans on top of it - you're spending an extra $50 needlessly. The D14 is a better bet - everything Noctua makes is pretty high quality.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
March 29, 2012 10:18:27 PM

A few alternatives down below.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... $404.98 save: $35.00
ASRock X79 Extreme6 LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL10D-16GBXL

XFX psu's are manufactured by Seasonic for XFX.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $154.99
XFX PRO850W XXX Edition Semi-Modular 80 Plus Silver Certified 850 Watt Active PFC Power Supply

or....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $229.99
XFX ProSeries P1-1050-BEFX 1050W ATX12V 2.2 / ESP12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $128.99 FREE SHIPPING
Mushkin Enhanced Chronos MKNSSDCR120GB 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
m
0
l
!