Sign in with
Your question

Home to Garage

Last response: in Wireless Networking
June 22, 2011 9:57:40 PM

Hello,

I'm looking to extend my home network as far as my garage. I currently have a single access point, a Cisco WRT120N, which is centrally located in my home. While in my Garage I can sporadically connect to my wireless network, but its a weak single that comes and goes.

I was hoping to daisy chain another access point to somewhere in my home that will radiate a single as far as my garage. I was thinking that something with a uni-directional antenna would help.

The Garage is approximately 50m (160ft) away. Is there any hardware I should look into that would allow me to extend my network into my garage?

More about : home garage

June 23, 2011 12:04:46 AM

you use a ASUS RT-N12 upgrade it with the DD-WRT firmware and use it as a Bridge Repeater.

this way the ASUS will connect to the Linksys wirelessly and will extend the wireless signal. Place the Asus somewhere in the middle between the Linksys and the Garage all that is needed, after it is configured, is power.
m
l
June 23, 2011 11:02:15 AM

I'm going to clarify the situation a little more. When I say, Garage I mean an external Garage, its not attached to my home. The distance 50m is the distance from my house to the Garage Building.

Placing the ASUS RT-N12 in the middle would mean I place it outside, which I don't suggest.
m
l
Related resources
June 23, 2011 3:11:39 PM

Quote:
I was hoping to daisy chain another access point to somewhere in my home that will radiate a single as far as my garage. I was thinking that something with a uni-directional antenna would help.

Yes, that would probably work.

Use the ASUS and place it as close as you can towards the garage inside your house. You can connect the ASUS to the Linksys via network cable configured as an AP or wirelessly as a bridge repeater.

What type of walls do you have? brick, wood, concrete.

Where is your router located? Is it at the wall facing the garage?

how many wall between the router and the garage?

would it be possible to run a network cable through a conduit in the ground (max distance is 100m)?

m
l
July 4, 2011 3:43:07 PM

The walls are wood, but outside I have a steel siding.

The router is located centrally in my home, and passes through approximately 3 walls to get outside.

It is possible to run a network through conduit, but this would likely be my final decision, as we have a lot of rock in the ground where I am from.
m
l
July 4, 2011 5:01:44 PM

try placing the AP or Bridge Repeater at a windows facing towards the garage if the siding creates a problem.

another option would be using a booster antenna or an outdoor antenna to connect to the AP.
m
l
!