Black screen crash in games with new 6870

Hi there, I recently got a new Powercolor 6870 and have been experiencing black screen crashes while playing games. More specifically, after a seemingly random amount of time my screen will go black. The computer remains responsive for another 5-10 seconds before locking up as well. (I was once able to tell people through Skype that my comp just crashed)

This has only occurred during games and once when watching a youtube video. I have latest driver updates for my card, and removed (to the best of my knowledge) the old NVIDIA drivers from my previous 9800 GT. I also put my 9800 GT back in, and the problem went away, so I presume the problem lies in the card.

Here are my specs, and if you need more information, I'll do my best to get it.

ASUS P5QL Pro
Intel Core2Quad Q8200 @ 2.33
4 GB ram
Powercolor HD 6870
Antec Basiq Power 500w

Thank you very much for any help or suggestions!
3 answers Last reply
More about black screen crash games 6870
  1. you say that you got rid of all 9800gt files, how did you go about getting rid of them? have you tried other drivers? other than just the latest?
  2. Doesn't the Antec Basiq Series 500W (BP500U) just have one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector?

Are you using a dual 4-pin Molex peripheral to 6-pin PCI Express power dongle to plug into the second PCIe connector on the Radeon HD 6870?

+12V1 rail (solid yellow wire): All peripheral connectors & motherboard (20+4)-pin connector except for the ATX12V/EPS12V

+12V2 rail (yellow with black stripe wire): ATX12V/EPS12V connectors

The OCP Set Point for each +12V rail is set at 25 Amps.

The GeForce 9800 GT only draws about 70% of the power that the Radeon HD 6870 draws at maximum gaming graphics load.
  3. In reply to Frizzo: I uninstalled the drivers via control panel, went into safe mode, and then used a driver removal utility.

I tried an older driver, nothing changed.

In reply to ko888:

Yes, it only has 1, and I'm using a molex to six pin adapter, the one with two molex ones that go into 1 six pin.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Games PowerColor Graphics