What do you need to physically put a computer together?

tygasp

Honorable
Mar 15, 2012
I am going to be putting together a computer soon and I was wondering if you need some kind of special equipment besides a antistatic wristband? Also do you need to have screwdrivers that aren't magnetized or not? Thanks.

Solution
Just your hands, a table, and a screwdriver. Most people will tell you that you don't even really need the wristband as long as you discharge yourself of static energy regularly, and don't do anything dumb like try to build it in your socks in a room with carpet.

It also helps to have tweezers to fish out the screws the inevitably fall and end up in some narrow gap at the bottom of the case.
Just your hands, a table, and a screwdriver. Most people will tell you that you don't even really need the wristband as long as you discharge yourself of static energy regularly, and don't do anything dumb like try to build it in your socks in a room with carpet.

It also helps to have tweezers to fish out the screws the inevitably fall and end up in some narrow gap at the bottom of the case.

Solution

Chaz21

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012

Your new so you have to wear a wrist strap (I'm old so I never do). I always use a magnetized screwdriver. Of course by the time you put your CPU and/or Ram in you should have put the screwdrivers away. That pretty much covers it - unless you want to do some cable management in which case you'll need some wire ties and some small wire cutters to cut off the excess. You'll be fine. Good luck with your build.

g-unit1111

Titan

I've been doing this since the mid 90's and I've *NEVER* had the need for a static wrist strap - only if you're testing with live (read: powered on) equipment then you need it, if your PSU is off you don't. If I'm installing an aftermarket fan I usually install that first before I screw down the motherboard. If the case has a removable HD cage (like the Antec 900 for instance) - then I perform that step first.

Chaz21

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012

You know I was just kidding him right? Your procedures are spot on.