Solved

RMA or just go get another one?

Help me think outside the box here. I'm a total newb to DIY, so I don't know what people usually do.

I built a new system 2 days ago. It is a basic system, no video card, so I went with the Corsair CX430. I paid $34 for it from Newegg after a rebate, which I thought was a decent deal for a decent PSU. 2 days later (today), the thing dies with no warning. Just quits. I could get lights on the usb drives, but nothing else. Failed the paperclip test.

I fill out the RMA with corsair, but I was naive enough to think they would pay for the shipping since it is their problem. Turns out, it is going to cost $15 for me to ship this back to them. Plus, it is going to take 4-5 days to get there, a day or two for them to check things out, then 4-5 days to ship back. Throw in a couple weekends and we are looking at 2-1/2 weeks waiting to get this new machine up and running.

Is this what most people do, just go through the RMA and wait it out?

I had thoughts of just skipping the RMA and ordering a new PSU and getting it over with. Yeah, I'd pay more than $15, but I'd get it in 3 days or so instead of 18. Then again, I could still RMA it and see if I could flip it on eBay or something, although I'm not sure what the eBay market will be for a CX430.

Just checking to see if people spend time and money on the RMA or just put the money toward another psu.

ETA Ok, I see where Newegg now has the CX430 for even cheaper than what I bought it last week...$19.99. For an extra $5, I can buy one new and get it Monday... That is very tempting. I guess the only risk is that the new one is DOA also. Hmmm.
3 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about tomshardware
  1. Best answer
    If less than 30 days since purchase, ask Newegg about replacement. They may cover return shipping.
  2. Thanks! Based on your suggestion, I checked Newegg (just ordered last week) and even though they didn't cover the cost of shipping they offered a refund at a generous amount...more than I would hope to get off eBay.

I ordered a new one at the lower price. Here's hoping that one isn't defective either!
  3. Best answer selected by whitenack.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Do It Yourself Components