Sign in with
Your question

Strange buzzing and whining noise coming from speakers with new XFX Radeon HD 69

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 22, 2012 6:07:34 AM

Hello,
I just upgraded my video card from an MSI GTX 460 to an XFX Radeon HD 6970. The GTX was giving me no issues, however, I seem to have a strange problem with the 6970. Whenever I do certain actions, most notably scrolling up and down on a web page or highlighting text on a web page to be copy and pasted, or opening a new web page, my speakers will give off a subtle yet very noticeable "buzzing" sound. Sometimes the sound will sound more like a squeal, which seems to happen when highlighting text on a webpage really fast. If I turn down my volume, I can no longer hear the sound, as the sound gets louder the more I turn up my volume. During the MSI Kombuster benchmark test, I can also hear the sound during the entire test, but it is much more prominent during the "physx" test (the third test) with the MSI flags graphics. I have the latest drivers for both my video card and onboard realtek audio. I tried different power outlets in my house as I read that it could be due to poor grounding, but that did not help at all. I would hate to have to RMA the card if the problem is not actually the video card, so I'd like to be certain before I take such an action. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Running:
Windows 7 64-bit

MSI P67A-G43 (B3) P67 ATX LGA1155 DDR3 2PCI-E16 3PCI-E 2PCI CrossFireX SATA3 USB3 Motherboard

Intel Core i5 2500K Quad Core Unlocked Processor LGA1155 3.3GHZ Sandy Bridge 6MB (currently running at 4.2GHZ)

Mushkin Enhanced Silverline Stiletto 8GB 2X4GB PC3-10666 DDR3-1333 9-9-9-24 Dual Channel Memory Kit

OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W ATX 20/24PIN SLI Ready Modular Cables 135mm Fan Active PFC Power Supply
January 23, 2012 8:02:46 AM

Nevermind, I just installed a sound card. It's not exactly a "fix," but the problem is obviously no longer noticable. I just hope that no damage is being done to my hardware because of the previous issue.
m
l
January 23, 2012 7:59:02 PM

How old is your PSU? On newegg, the recommended wattage for your new GPU is 550w so if your PSU is old, it might be giving less power than what it gave when you bought it new. I read in a thread on this forum not too long ago about a situation just like yours and it turns out the buzzing had something to do with the PSU/mobo. I forgot which thread, but hopefully someone else can come along and clarify this.
m
l
Related resources
January 24, 2012 11:36:35 AM

hpdeskjet said:
How old is your PSU? On newegg, the recommended wattage for your new GPU is 550w so if your PSU is old, it might be giving less power than what it gave when you bought it new. I read in a thread on this forum not too long ago about a situation just like yours and it turns out the buzzing had something to do with the PSU/mobo. I forgot which thread, but hopefully someone else can come along and clarify this.

As I mentioned in my original post, my PSU is the OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W. But yeah, tech support from where I bought it told me the same thing, "unfortunately this is common with certain combinations of motherboards, psu, and video cards." So I wasn't going to RMA the video card to risk buying a different one and having the same problem. I didn't want to "waste" a PCI slot on a sound card, but hey, my sound is a little better now too so I guess that it's not so bad.
m
l
January 24, 2012 8:04:05 PM

Well I'm glad some of your concerns have been alleviated :) 
m
l
!