Power Supply Installation

owags7

Honorable
May 19, 2012
This is my first build, so I am trying my best to put this computer together. I am following the newegg build video on youtube. When it comes to plugging in the supplemental power connector for the test boot, I get lost. I am assuming that because we have different motherboards, that on mine, only half of the supplemental power plug will be put in? Any answer would be helpful.

Motherboard:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128555
RAM:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145345

Thanks

owags7

Honorable
May 19, 2012
I just realized that I linked my RAM instead haha. But thanks. I thought that was right, just making sure. Also, for my graphics card, I have a PCI express plug, but it is 6-pin with an extra 2 pins off to the side, not really connected to the other 6-pins. Would this make a difference?

owags7

Honorable
May 19, 2012
That was actually really dumb. When I test booted the motherboard, the fans on the psu, cpu, and graphics card all spun. But i'm not getting any signal from the graphics card to the monitor. Im using a DVI cable, and there are two different slots on the graphics card. I tried both of them but neither worked. Not sure what the problem is. Any help?

JMer806

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012
When you say two slots, do you mean that your GPU has two DVI ports? If so, either should work just fine.

I'm assuming you've already checked all your connections to make sure the monitor is hooked up properly. Now, what GPU do you have? Does it have an 8-pin or 6-pin PCI power cable? If 6, then as above plug in the 6-pin cable and leave the extra two pins hanging. If the power connector is 8-pin, you need to plug in both the 6-pin and 2-pin parts.

If everything is plugged in, try it with a different cable, and try the other ports on your card (for example an HDMI port). If none of them work, your GPU is probably dead and you should RMA it.