Pentax *ist DS and lenses ?

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
June 12, 2005 7:29:13 PM

Hello,
I have a Pentax *ist DS a brand new one.
I have also many older pentax lenses, A series.
I have also a Pentax P30n

I noticed that on my *ist camera when the lens
is mounted on the body it is not *complitely* and
*absolutely* firm.
If I rotate it then it sligtly moves. OF course it does not get dismounted
and I have to press the proper button to dismount it.
But this does not happen on my pentax P30n where any lens is complitely
firm and does not move slightly if I try to rotate the lens further.
IS it a normal thing ?
Rotation is something like half millimeter in rotation.
can this have inpact in the proper camera functions ?
The pictures look perfetc anyway.

thanks

Albert

More about : pentax ist lenses

Anonymous
June 12, 2005 7:29:14 PM

In article <slrndaol69.73e.rj45@slacknet.com>, Albert
<aroberts@NOSPAMslacknet.com> wrote:

> Rotation is something like half millimeter in rotation.
> can this have inpact in the proper camera functions ?
> The pictures look perfetc anyway.

Unless you're having problems, I wouldn't worry about it. Most likely a
normal machining variation; I've seen scores of bayonet-mount bodies
that do the same thing.

OTOH, if it moves in any way OTHER than rotation, you should be
concerned.
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 7:29:14 PM

In article <slrndaol69.73e.rj45@slacknet.com>, Albert
<aroberts@NOSPAMslacknet.com> wrote:

> I noticed that on my *ist camera when the lens
> is mounted on the body it is not *complitely* and
> *absolutely* firm.
> If I rotate it then it sligtly moves. OF course it does not get dismounted
> and I have to press the proper button to dismount it.
> But this does not happen on my pentax P30n where any lens is complitely
> firm and does not move slightly if I try to rotate the lens further.
> IS it a normal thing ?

Albert-

I checked a Tamron lens on my *ist DS and found a very slight amount of
play, probably less than yours. It appears to be related to the width of
the groove on the lens that engages the camera's release pin. There has
to be some play, or manufacturing tolerances would eventually produce a
combination of camera pin width and lens groove width that wouldn't allow
the pin to drop into the groove.

As long as the rear surface of the lens is flush against the camera's
mounting flange, the lens will have the correct lens-to-sensor or film
distance.

The angular offset that might result could affect the aperture link
between the lens and the body. I understand that link is not used in the
newer automatic cameras, but might be in your P30n when in
aperture-preferred mode. Again, allowance for manufacturing tolerances
should be designed into the aperture setting as well. The maximum
difference is most likely a fraction of a stop.

Fred
June 12, 2005 7:43:12 PM

> I have a Pentax *ist DS a brand new one.

Just wondering, how on Earth does one pronounce the name of this camera?
Asterickist? Starist? What a silly name for a camera. Bad show Pentax....

ef
June 12, 2005 7:43:13 PM

"EF in FLA" <abc@bcs.com> wrote in message
>> I have a Pentax *ist DS a brand new one.
>
> Just wondering, how on Earth does one pronounce the name of this camera?
> Asterickist? Starist? What a silly name for a camera. Bad show
> Pentax....

Any sillier than Canon's Digital Kiss, or the newer Kiss N?
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 7:43:13 PM

In article <kKYqe.129409$w15.120826@tornado.tampabay.rr.com>, EF in FLA
<abc@bcs.com> wrote:

> Just wondering, how on Earth does one pronounce the name of this camera?
> Asterickist? Starist? What a silly name for a camera. Bad show Pentax....

I suspect it's not intended to be pronounced... just an unnameable,
silent symbol usually referred to as "The camera formerly known as
Pentax..."

OR, the unpronounceable name could be an attempt to keep anyone from
saying bad things about it...

OR, it could be a protection against magical spells. To quote a Larry
Niven novel: "In magic, he who knows your true name has power over you;
but he must be able to speak it aloud to use it!"
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 7:43:14 PM

Darrell wrote:

> "EF in FLA" <abc@bcs.com> wrote in message
>>> I have a Pentax *ist DS a brand new one.
>>
>> Just wondering, how on Earth does one pronounce the name of this camera?
>> Asterickist? Starist? What a silly name for a camera. Bad show
>> Pentax....
>>
> Any sillier than Canon's Digital Kiss, or the newer Kiss N?

I think the original poster was referring to the fact that
an asterisk is used in place of a letter. There is no
pronunciation in the English language for the asterisk.
It's not part of the alphabet.

That aside... How DO you pronounce *ist ?
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 7:43:15 PM

Jim Townsend wrote:

> That aside... How DO you pronounce *ist ?

Star-ist, I think someone said before.
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 7:43:15 PM

Jim Townsend <not@real.address> wrote:

> That aside... How DO you pronounce *ist ?

Ist. Like the suffix. The idea being that the * is a wildcard, so you
can be a photographist, a digitalcameraist, a florist, a geologist, a
whateverist.

I hope the next line is the *ism. *osity would be kinda cool, too.
June 12, 2005 8:29:07 PM

EF in FLA wrote:
>>I have a Pentax *ist DS a brand new one.
>

> Just wondering, how on Earth does one pronounce the name of this camera?
> Asterickist? Starist? What a silly name for a camera. Bad show Pentax....
>
> ef

Well, my friend bought one. It's a very nice kit for $760, with case,
lenshood and solid construction with large, bright viewfinder. It's also
small!
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 12:02:47 AM

"Albert" <aroberts@NOSPAMslacknet.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
> I have a Pentax *ist DS a brand new one.
> I have also many older pentax lenses, A series.
> I have also a Pentax P30n
>
> I noticed that on my *ist camera when the lens
> is mounted on the body it is not *complitely* and
> *absolutely* firm.
> If I rotate it then it sligtly moves. OF course it does not get dismounted
> and I have to press the proper button to dismount it.
> But this does not happen on my pentax P30n where any lens is complitely
> firm and does not move slightly if I try to rotate the lens further.
> IS it a normal thing ?
> Rotation is something like half millimeter in rotation.
> can this have inpact in the proper camera functions ?
> The pictures look perfetc anyway.
>
> thanks
>
> Albert

Hi Albert,

My Ds mount is nice and firm with all the lenses and adapters that I use, if
it was me and I thought it was "sloppy" I would take it back.

I have Pentax, Sigma, Tamron lenses and a Kenko MC-7 2x adapter and they
have very little "slop", I also have two different sets of extension tubes
and they are a nice firm fit. Actually thinking about it I have an older
Tamron 28mm that does not lock in completely but still works fine, mind you
it is still firm when it rotates on it just does not lock.
June 13, 2005 12:50:16 AM

"Albert" <aroberts@NOSPAMslacknet.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
slrndaol69.73e.rj45@slacknet.com...
> Hello,
> I have a Pentax *ist DS a brand new one.
> I have also many older pentax lenses, A series.
> I have also a Pentax P30n
>
> I noticed that on my *ist camera when the lens
> is mounted on the body it is not *complitely* and
> *absolutely* firm.
> If I rotate it then it sligtly moves. OF course it does not get dismounted
> and I have to press the proper button to dismount it.
> But this does not happen on my pentax P30n where any lens is complitely
> firm and does not move slightly if I try to rotate the lens further.
> IS it a normal thing ?
> Rotation is something like half millimeter in rotation.
> can this have inpact in the proper camera functions ?
> The pictures look perfetc anyway.
>
> thanks
>
> Albert

I had the same concern when I bought mine but it is normal (I suppose it's
to allow quick and smooth AF).
Jean.
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 12:56:01 AM

"Paul Mitchum" <usenet@mile23.c0m> wrote in message
> Jim Townsend <not@real.address> wrote:
>
>> That aside... How DO you pronounce *ist ?
>
> Ist. Like the suffix. The idea being that the * is a wildcard, so you
> can be a photographist, a digitalcameraist, a florist, a geologist, a
> whateverist.

....or, for those who think that Pentax are not going to declare
bankruptcy....an Optimist!...
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 12:56:02 AM

"Trapezium" <no@none.com> wrote in message

> "Paul Mitchum" <usenet@mile23.c0m> wrote in message
>> Jim Townsend <not@real.address> wrote:
>>
>>> That aside... How DO you pronounce *ist ?
>>
>> Ist. Like the suffix. The idea being that the * is a wildcard, so you
>> can be a photographist, a digitalcameraist, a florist, a geologist, a
>> whateverist.
>

> ...or, for those who think that Pentax are not going to declare
> bankruptcy....an Optimist!...

In that case a whocarist? It probably won't stop my current gear from
working, of course as an optimist I am comfortable with that. :-)
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 1:34:49 AM

"Darrell" <spam@this.eh> wrote in message
news:p aOdna0A7NJ6xjHfRVn-qg@rogers.com...

> "EF in FLA" <abc@bcs.com> wrote in message
>>> I have a Pentax *ist DS a brand new one.
>>
>> Just wondering, how on Earth does one pronounce the name of this camera?
>> Asterickist? Starist? What a silly name for a camera. Bad show
>> Pentax....
>>
> Any sillier than Canon's Digital Kiss, or the newer Kiss N?

Rebel is a pretty stupid name for a camera, too.
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 5:06:16 AM

"W Harding" <Nineteen@newmail.com> wrote in message

> "Darrell" <spam@this.eh> wrote in message
> news:p aOdna0A7NJ6xjHfRVn-qg@rogers.com...
>>
>> "EF in FLA" <abc@bcs.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Just wondering, how on Earth does one pronounce the name of this camera?
>>> Asterickist? Starist? What a silly name for a camera. Bad show
>>> Pentax....
>>>
>> Any sillier than Canon's Digital Kiss, or the newer Kiss N?
>>

> Rebel is a pretty stupid name for a camera, too.

Or EOS 300D, how the hell do you pronounce that? And I have problems
pronouncing 1DsMkII, can you say, whogivesashit?
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 7:36:27 AM

Jim Townsend <not@real.address> wrote:

: That aside... How DO you pronounce *ist ?

I just ignore the unpronouncable character and call it an "ist-dee-ess".

Randy

Randy Berbaum
Champaign, IL
!