How important is backward-compatibility to you?...

Last response: in Video Games
April 13, 2005 1:23:42 AM

Just curious about some general opinions on this, as I've been reading
some articles on various websites that have me a bit concerned. For me,
I think that if I cannot use any of my XBOX hardware or games on the next
generation XBOX console, I just might be inclined to not purchase one at
all. At the very least, I'd hold off until I was sure that it would be
worth the money.

After all, I purchased an XBOX because I was tired of dumping lots of money
into PCs for gaming. If Microsoft decides that backward-compatibility isn't
all that important, it'll be "just like old times".

Anyone else have any concerns or thoughts on this?
April 13, 2005 1:23:43 AM

You already own an Xbox so backwards compatibility isn't an issue. Your
existing Xbox isn't going anywhere (unless you sell it.)

There's no law that says console ownership is mutually exclusive.

Of all the consoles going back to the Atari 2600 backwards
compatability was the exception, not the rule.

- Jordan
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 1:23:43 AM

i have a decent sized collection of xbox games, and since the xbox is
the only system i own, if backward compatibility is not an option for
the next xbox, then i'll be content to play the games i have for many
years to come.
April 13, 2005 1:23:43 AM

i stand corrected... "i'll be content to play the games i have for many
hours to come."

whew... nice catch, Khee Mao! ;o)
April 13, 2005 1:23:43 AM

"Stephen Edwards" <tg416@cyclic.aux.net> wrote in message
<snip>
> After all, I purchased an XBOX because I was tired of dumping lots of
> money
> into PCs for gaming. If Microsoft decides that backward-compatibility
> isn't
> all that important, it'll be "just like old times".
>
> Anyone else have any concerns or thoughts on this?

Yes. I want backward computability. I've broken out old games and played
them from time to time. It's a PIA to dig the stuff out of the closet and
hook it up. Obviously, though, given all the Nintendo consoles I've had and
have, I can be easily convinced to buy something that isn't backward
compatible.
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 1:23:43 AM

"Stephen Edwards" <tg416@cyclic.aux.net> wrote in message
> Just curious about some general opinions on this, as I've been reading
> some articles on various websites that have me a bit concerned. For me,
> I think that if I cannot use any of my XBOX hardware or games on the next
> generation XBOX console, I just might be inclined to not purchase one at
> all. At the very least, I'd hold off until I was sure that it would be
> worth the money.
>
> After all, I purchased an XBOX because I was tired of dumping lots of
> money
> into PCs for gaming. If Microsoft decides that backward-compatibility
> isn't
> all that important, it'll be "just like old times".
>
> Anyone else have any concerns or thoughts on this?

It would be nice, but if it inflates the cost of the unit by more than $50
then I would be just as happy if they left it out. I rarely replay a game,
and almost never replay a game from an old generation of hardware.
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 1:23:44 AM

"Jordan" <lundj@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> You already own an Xbox so backwards compatibility isn't an issue. Your
> existing Xbox isn't going anywhere (unless you sell it.)
>
> There's no law that says console ownership is mutually exclusive.
>
> Of all the consoles going back to the Atari 2600 backwards
> compatability was the exception, not the rule.
>
> - Jordan

dude. the xbox service record hasn't been exactly stellar. dvd drives go
bad. I'm already on xbox #2, others I know are on #3. then you factor in
your living space and people (like me) who don't want the clutter of
multiple systems, especially from the same manufacturer.
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 1:23:44 AM

"Fizzlestix" <fizzlestix@metallica.com> wrote in message
>i have a decent sized collection of xbox games, and since the xbox is
> the only system i own, if backward compatibility is not an option for
> the next xbox, then i'll be content to play the games i have for many
> years to come.

if your dvd drive lasts "many years".
April 13, 2005 1:23:45 AM

"Khee Mao" <big_bad_buddha_daddy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:D 3hguj$jg3$1@gnus01.u.washington.edu...

> "Jordan" <lundj@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> You already own an Xbox so backwards compatibility isn't an issue. Your
>> existing Xbox isn't going anywhere (unless you sell it.)<snip>
>>
> dude. the xbox service record hasn't been exactly stellar. dvd drives go
> bad. I'm already on xbox #2, others I know are on #3. then you factor in
> your living space and people (like me) who don't want the clutter of
> multiple systems, especially from the same manufacturer.

That's a good point. I'm on number 3. I definitely don't have room to put
up a bunch of consoles in my living room. I've got my old Nintendo consoles
in bags in the closet.
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 1:23:46 AM

"Thoth" <thoth@notlisted.us> wrote in message
> "Khee Mao" <big_bad_buddha_daddy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:D 3hguj$jg3$1@gnus01.u.washington.edu...
>>
>> "Jordan" <lundj@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>> You already own an Xbox so backwards compatibility isn't an issue. Your
>>> existing Xbox isn't going anywhere (unless you sell it.)<snip>
>>>
>> dude. the xbox service record hasn't been exactly stellar. dvd drives
>> go bad. I'm already on xbox #2, others I know are on #3. then you
>> factor in your living space and people (like me) who don't want the
>> clutter of multiple systems, especially from the same manufacturer.
>
> That's a good point. I'm on number 3. I definitely don't have room to
> put up a bunch of consoles in my living room. I've got my old Nintendo
> consoles in bags in the closet.

at least the old Nintendos are all solid state game cartridges, they'll
probably last forever as they don't have moving parts...my brother still has
his Atari 2600 (?), which continues to work flawlessly.
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 1:23:47 AM

Khee Mao wrote:
> "Thoth" <thoth@notlisted.us> wrote in message
>
>>"Khee Mao" <big_bad_buddha_daddy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>news:D 3hguj$jg3$1@gnus01.u.washington.edu...
>>
>>>"Jordan" <lundj@earthlink.net> wrote in message

>>>dude. the xbox service record hasn't been exactly stellar. dvd drives
>>>go bad. I'm already on xbox #2, others I know are on #3. then you
>>>factor in your living space and people (like me) who don't want the
>>>clutter of multiple systems, especially from the same manufacturer.
>>
>>That's a good point. I'm on number 3. I definitely don't have room to
>>put up a bunch of consoles in my living room. I've got my old Nintendo
>>consoles in bags in the closet.
>>

> at least the old Nintendos are all solid state game cartridges, they'll
> probably last forever as they don't have moving parts...my brother still has
> his Atari 2600 (?), which continues to work flawlessly.

That is true...I still have my 2600 and it works just fine. I break it
out about once or twice a year ;)  Still have a working Pong/Odessey also.
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 2:59:06 AM

"massivegrooves" <massivegrooves@massivegrooves.net> wrote in message

> Khee Mao wrote:
>> "Thoth" <thoth@notlisted.us> wrote in message
>>
>>>"Khee Mao" <big_bad_buddha_daddy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>>news:D 3hguj$jg3$1@gnus01.u.washington.edu...

>>>That's a good point. I'm on number 3. I definitely don't have room to
>>>put up a bunch of consoles in my living room. I've got my old Nintendo
>>>consoles in bags in the closet.
>>>

>> at least the old Nintendos are all solid state game cartridges, they'll
>> probably last forever as they don't have moving parts...my brother still
>> has his Atari 2600 (?), which continues to work flawlessly.
>
> That is true...I still have my 2600 and it works just fine. I break it out
> about once or twice a year ;)  Still have a working Pong/Odessey also.

Wow, the memories!

I wish I still had my Atari 2600. Of course they have those machines now
with like 100 games preloaded on them. I may just have to get one of those.

I hope they have backwards compatability as well. Too bad they can't go to
cartridges, but it would cost too much. But maybe some new technology would
make it cheap enough. But nothing is cheaper than a flat plastic DVD disk.
Not only that, it would make pirating much more difficult.

Oh well, we will probably find out May 12!
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 3:08:21 AM

HockeyTownUSA wrote:
> "massivegrooves" <massivegrooves@massivegrooves.net> wrote in message
>

>>Khee Mao wrote:
>>
>>>"Thoth" <thoth@notlisted.us> wrote in message

>>>at least the old Nintendos are all solid state game cartridges, they'll
>>>probably last forever as they don't have moving parts...my brother still
>>>has his Atari 2600 (?), which continues to work flawlessly.
>>
>>That is true...I still have my 2600 and it works just fine. I break it out
>>about once or twice a year ;)  Still have a working Pong/Odessey also.
>>

> Wow, the memories!
>
> I wish I still had my Atari 2600. Of course they have those machines now
> with like 100 games preloaded on them. I may just have to get one of those.

Those type of things are okay...still just not quite the same thing as
playing the original though. Controller, etc..

> I hope they have backwards compatability as well. Too bad they can't go to
> cartridges, but it would cost too much. But maybe some new technology would
> make it cheap enough. But nothing is cheaper than a flat plastic DVD disk.
> Not only that, it would make pirating much more difficult.
>
> Oh well, we will probably find out May 12!

Anonymous
April 13, 2005 7:37:00 AM

"Stephen Edwards" <tg416@cyclic.aux.net> wrote in message
> Just curious about some general opinions on this, as I've been reading
> some articles on various websites that have me a bit concerned. For me,
> I think that if I cannot use any of my XBOX hardware or games on the next
> generation XBOX console, I just might be inclined to not purchase one at
> all. At the very least, I'd hold off until I was sure that it would be
> worth the money.

your logic is flawed. I personally dont intend to buy a next gen console
for the purpose of playing current gen games on, if they play them then
great, and yeah I'd play them on it if it works.
but, that isnt why im buying a next gen console, im buying a next gen
console to play next gen games. and I really dont care if it plays the old
ones or not, I already have a console for that.
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 9:28:59 AM

"Stephen Edwards" <tg416@cyclic.aux.net> wrote in message

Not very important to me. I keep my old consoles. And I prefer that new
ones aren't hamstrung by backward compatibility--they're designed around a
tight per-unit budget, and I'd prefer that money be spent on other things.
The PS2's lame 2-controller design, and possibly its extremely slow memory
card access, and maybe even some of its poor graphical capabilities can be
lain at the feet of its need for backward compatibility.

How important it is to the masses is something else, but who can tell? The
world-beating PS2 and GBA are both backward compatible, but they're also
both very strong brand names. I think backward compatibility is probably
pretty important for the PS3, building on that brand name. But Nintendo's
next system, the Revolution, is backward compatible with Gamecube, they
say--and I doubt the general public will really care.

As for the Xbox 2, I'd normally say who cares, but they are launching well
before the Xbox's popularity warrants it. Historically, systems come out
when the interest in their predecessor is waning pretty heavily as it
becomes clear that its hardware is no longer up to par. That's not the case
now, not even for the PS2 (borderline there). So backward compatibility
might be more important for Xbox 2 than it would for a "normal" console
launch--a launch where a passing of the baton is more welcomed.
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 12:33:03 PM

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 21:23:42 -0000, tg416@cyclic.aux.net (Stephen
Edwards) wrote:

>Just curious about some general opinions on this, as I've been reading
>some articles on various websites that have me a bit concerned. For me,
>I think that if I cannot use any of my XBOX hardware or games on the next
>generation XBOX console, I just might be inclined to not purchase one at
>all. At the very least, I'd hold off until I was sure that it would be
>worth the money.
>
>After all, I purchased an XBOX because I was tired of dumping lots of money
>into PCs for gaming. If Microsoft decides that backward-compatibility isn't
>all that important, it'll be "just like old times".
>
>Anyone else have any concerns or thoughts on this?

To me, backwards compatibility is fairly important. In fact, I'm
willing to pay a premium ($50-$75) for this feature. Primarily it
comes down to system clutter. I don't want to have to make space for
another system and make addition audio/video/network/AC connections.
The sheer number of wires on my system is ridiculous. Organized, but a
challenge to keep it that way. I certainly don't want to deal with
swapping cables every time I switch systems.

I've got a rather large collection of XBOX games that I'm certain I'll
keep playing for years to come. It is going to take at least a year
for XBOX 360 to have enough offerings that'll appease my thirst for
variety.

All that being said what irks me most about a system without backwards
compatibility is the peripherals. I don't want to have to buy 4 new
controllers, a new memory card, a new HDTV pack, a new live headset,
new lightgun, etc. for a system just because Microsoft feels it must
change the design and interface for peripherals. The is no reason all
these items couldn't be compatible. It is sheer greed that causes this
change.

I guarantee I'd be buying an XBOX 360 at or near launch if backwards
compatibility is included. If it isn't I'll almost certainly wait a
year for price drop, discount games and keep playing my XBOX,
Dreamcast, PSP, MAME machine, and pinball machines in the mean time.

Mark
Atlanta GA
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 3:02:39 PM

> dude. the xbox service record hasn't been exactly stellar. dvd drives go
> bad. I'm already on xbox #2, others I know are on #3....

I've had my Xbox for three years now, and I've had no problem whatsoever.

--
terry v
GT: terryfied

In article <tg416-1204051435560001@ip-140-158-18.phx.extremezone.com>,
tg416@cyclic.aux.net says...
> Just curious about some general opinions on this, as I've been reading
> some articles on various websites that have me a bit concerned. For me,
> I think that if I cannot use any of my XBOX hardware or games on the next
> generation XBOX console, I just might be inclined to not purchase one at
> all. At the very least, I'd hold off until I was sure that it would be
> worth the money.
>
> After all, I purchased an XBOX because I was tired of dumping lots of money
> into PCs for gaming. If Microsoft decides that backward-compatibility isn't
> all that important, it'll be "just like old times".
>
> Anyone else have any concerns or thoughts on this?

I'm going to wait for the console to come down under $200 US anyway
before I buy one. While I'm waiting, I'll start buying all the old Xbox
games that I missed because of cost when they wind up in the $9.99 bin
at EB or BB.
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 9:51:49 PM

www.geocities.com/mtb2k -Personal Site
"Stephen Edwards" <tg416@cyclic.aux.net> wrote in message
> Just curious about some general opinions on this, as I've been reading
> some articles on various websites that have me a bit concerned. For me,
> I think that if I cannot use any of my XBOX hardware or games on the next
> generation XBOX console, I just might be inclined to not purchase one at
> all. At the very least, I'd hold off until I was sure that it would be
> worth the money.
>
> After all, I purchased an XBOX because I was tired of dumping lots of
money
> into PCs for gaming. If Microsoft decides that backward-compatibility
isn't
> all that important, it'll be "just like old times".
>
> Anyone else have any concerns or thoughts on this?

not very
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 9:58:44 PM

Wont matter to me. I wont buy xbox2 anytime soon after its release. I
dont feel the gaming is going to change in leaps and bounds from xbox1
to xbox2 anyways. Like it did for me going from N64 to xbox.
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 10:45:59 PM

"QUAKEnSHAKE" <QUAKEnSHAKE@webtv.net> wrote in
message
> Wont matter to me. I wont buy xbox2 anytime
> soon after its release. I
> dont feel the gaming is going to change in leaps
> and bounds from xbox1
> to xbox2 anyways. Like it did for me going from
> N64 to xbox.

Agreed on that point. I'll wait until the intro
price calms down a bit...if I could wait until
last summer to get an XBOX I can wait at least
that long for what ever the hell they are calling
the new one. <grump> I'll be laughing my ass off
if everyone's speculation on the naming is OFF.
--
Keith Schiffner
Assistant to the Assistant Undersecretary of the

HockeyTownUSA wrote:

> I wish I still had my Atari 2600

You still do... in a way. :)  Is your Xbox modded? If so, get
the 2600 emulator for it and you're away! :)
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 1:21:04 AM

"qwerty" <qwerty@qwerty.com> wrote in message
> HockeyTownUSA wrote:
>
>> I wish I still had my Atari 2600
>
> You still do... in a way. :)  Is your Xbox modded? If so, get
> the 2600 emulator for it and you're away! :)

I think there are a bunch of old school games on xbox arcade too...
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 1:22:49 AM

Stephen Edwards <tg416@cyclic.aux.net> wrote:

> Just curious about some general opinions on this, as I've been reading
> some articles on various websites that have me a bit concerned. For me,
> I think that if I cannot use any of my XBOX hardware or games on the next
> generation XBOX console, I just might be inclined to not purchase one at
> all. At the very least, I'd hold off until I was sure that it would be
> worth the money.

Very few consoles have had backwards compatibility. The PS2 was the first
in a long long time to have it.

Anyways, it's a moot point. The XBox360 is most likely NOT going to be
backwards compatible. It's based on a radically different architecture
than the Xbox, and more importantly, Xbox360 will lack a HDD.

While there's still a chance that the Xbox360 could still be backwards
compatible, I really wouldn't bank on it. Adding the hardware would make
XBox360 very expensive, and the Xbox360's native hardware isn't nearly
powerful enough to handle an Xbox emulated in software.

Pity. A Xbox360 with backwards compatibility would have made the console
that much more attractive to folks who don't already have an XBox, and
wanted to get a new console before the PS3 would have been released. Yet
another opportunity blown by Microsoft.

As it stands now, if you want an XBox, you're better off just buying one
now. There's easily enough XBox games out there to keep most gamers busy
for a year or so, by which time, PS3 will probably be out, and Microsoft
will be annoucing its first price cut on the XBox360.
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 1:22:50 AM

"Doug Jacobs" <djacobs@shell.rawbw.com> wrote in message
> Stephen Edwards <tg416@cyclic.aux.net> wrote:

> While there's still a chance that the Xbox360 could still be backwards
> compatible, I really wouldn't bank on it. Adding the hardware would make
> XBox360 very expensive, and the Xbox360's native hardware isn't nearly
> powerful enough to handle an Xbox emulated in software.

I can't imagine 3, 3ghz powerpc chips not being up to the task of emulating
a 733mhz celeron...
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 1:22:50 AM

> ... and more importantly, Xbox360 will lack a HDD.

Who says? I thought there would be a couple versions, or an option to add a
mass storage device?
April 14, 2005 1:23:00 AM

How important? Not very... because I know once the Xbox 360 gets
hacked and modded (and it *WILL*), that a "classic Xbox" emulator
for it will follow suit very quickly. ;)
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 1:23:01 AM

Backwards compatibility will not get people to buy a new console. Good
quality new games for the new console will. If there are only two or three
games at launch and there IS backwards compatibility, how will that cause
you to buy the new machine? You can play your current library on your
current machine and wait until more new games come out on the new machine
and it drops in price to get the new one.

And although I think someone mentioned it, backwards compatibility goes back
to the days of Atari too. If you remember, the Atari 7800 is backwards
compatible for almost all 2600 games, with a few exceptions for technical
reasons.

Cheers!

> How important? Not very... because I know once the Xbox 360 gets
> hacked and modded (and it *WILL*), that a "classic Xbox" emulator
> for it will follow suit very quickly. ;)

Anonymous
April 14, 2005 5:10:35 AM

Keith Schiffner wrote:
> "QUAKEnSHAKE" <QUAKEnSHAKE@webtv.net> wrote in
> message
>
>>Wont matter to me. I wont buy xbox2 anytime
>>soon after its release. I
>>dont feel the gaming is going to change in leaps
>>and bounds from xbox1
>>to xbox2 anyways. Like it did for me going from
>>N64 to xbox.
>

> Agreed on that point. I'll wait until the intro
> price calms down a bit...if I could wait until
> last summer to get an XBOX I can wait at least
> that long for what ever the hell they are calling
> the new one. <grump> I'll be laughing my ass off
> if everyone's speculation on the naming is OFF.

Has anybody heard rumors about what the price points are going to be for
the next gen machines?
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 5:10:36 AM

"Grinder" <grinder@no.spam.maam.net> wrote in message

> Has anybody heard rumors about what the price points are going to be for
> the next gen machines?

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/8035/3-Million-Xbox-360s-...
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 5:10:37 AM

news:D 3khbf$rme$1@gnus01.u.washington.edu...

> "Grinder" <grinder@no.spam.maam.net> wrote in
> message news:fqj7e.12560$GJ.2666@attbi_s71...
>>
>> Has anybody heard rumors about what the price
>> points are going to be for the next gen
>> machines?
>
> http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/8035/3-Million-Xbox-360s-...

Hmm, remember kids these are rumors for now. I
wont TRY to remember WHAT the old Atari 2600 and
or 5200 went for new on the first day of sales.
--
Keith Schiffner
Assistant to the Assistant Undersecretary of the
Ministry of Silly Walks.
"terrorist organization" is a redundancy
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 5:10:37 AM

"Khee Mao" <big_bad_buddha_daddy@yahoo.com> wrote
in message
news:D 3khbf$rme$1@gnus01.u.washington.edu...

> "Grinder" <grinder@no.spam.maam.net> wrote in
> message news:fqj7e.12560$GJ.2666@attbi_s71...
>>
>> Has anybody heard rumors about what the price
>> points are going to be for the next gen
>> machines?
>
> http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/8035/3-Million-Xbox-360s-...

FINALLY got to looking at that. Interesting, I'm
thinking like the Goldman-Sachs guys...if we are
right maybe I ought to get a job doing
prognostication of future releases of hardware.
;^)
--
Keith Schiffner
Assistant to the Assistant Undersecretary of the
Ministry of Silly Walks.
"terrorist organization" is a redundancy
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 5:10:38 AM

"Keith Schiffner" <schistan@3rivers.net> wrote in message
>> http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/8035/3-Million-Xbox-360s-...
>
> Hmm, remember kids these are rumors for now. I wont TRY to remember WHAT
> the old Atari 2600 and or 5200 went for new on the first day of sales.
> --
> Keith Schiffner
> Assistant to the Assistant Undersecretary of the Ministry of Silly Walks.
> "terrorist organization" is a redundancy

$299 has been an historically reliable launch price, though I'd be surprised
to see the 360 this inexpensive due to its capabilities as a media hub.
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 5:10:39 AM

news:D 3ki51$s87$1@gnus01.u.washington.edu...

> "Keith Schiffner" <schistan@3rivers.net> wrote
> in message news:8aedncz7qoAsV8DfRVn-sQ@vnet-
>>> http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/8035/3-Million-Xbox-360s-...
>>
>> Hmm, remember kids these are rumors for now. I
>> wont TRY to remember WHAT the old Atari 2600
>> and or 5200 went for new on the first day of
>> sales.
>> --
>> Keith Schiffner
>> Assistant to the Assistant Undersecretary of
>> the Ministry of Silly Walks.
>> "terrorist organization" is a redundancy
>>

> $299 has been an historically reliable launch
> price, though I'd be surprised to see the 360
> this inexpensive due to its capabilities as a
> media hub.

Agreed...but I wont be surprised at a price
comparable to a low end new computer.
--

Khee Mao wrote:
> "Keith Schiffner" <schistan@3rivers.net> wrote in message
>
>>>http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/8035/3-Million-Xbox-360s-...
>>
>>Hmm, remember kids these are rumors for now. I wont TRY to remember WHAT
>>the old Atari 2600 and or 5200 went for new on the first day of sales.
>>--
>>Keith Schiffner
>>Assistant to the Assistant Undersecretary of the Ministry of Silly Walks.
>>"terrorist organization" is a redundancy
>>

> $299 has been an historically reliable launch price, though I'd be surprised
> to see the 360 this inexpensive due to its capabilities as a media hub.

That is the number I would bet on right now...
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 5:10:40 AM

> "Khee Mao" <big_bad_buddha_daddy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> $299 has been an historically reliable launch price, though I'd be
>> surprised to see the 360 this inexpensive due to its capabilities as a
>> media hub.
>
> Agreed...but I wont be surprised at a price comparable to a low end new
> computer.
> --

errrr...a new low end computer costs about $300...

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/compare.aspx/d...
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 5:10:41 AM

news:D 3kkkj$u2v$1@gnus01.u.washington.edu...

> "Keith Schiffner" <schistan@3rivers.net> wrote
> in message
>>
>> "Khee Mao" <big_bad_buddha_daddy@yahoo.com>
>> wrote in message
>>> $299 has been an historically reliable launch
>>> price, though I'd be surprised to see the 360
>>> this inexpensive due to its capabilities as a
>>> media hub.
>>
>> Agreed...but I wont be surprised at a price
>> comparable to a low end new computer.
>> --
>
> errrr...a new low end computer costs about
> $300...
>

> http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/compare.aspx/d...

Yes but that is a Dell...I'm still burnt on Intell
chips after the first Celeron's kept cooking
themselves. 8^) Anyway I'm not sure that a
computer like that could render as well as the
current Xbox. I don't know as I haven't checked
out computers in a while. Well not for that kind
of ability...
--
Keith Schiffner
Assistant to the Assistant Undersecretary of the
Ministry of Silly Walks.
"terrorist organization" is a redundancy
April 14, 2005 2:57:59 PM

atarileaf wrote:

> Backwards compatibility will not get people to buy a new console.

It will for someone like me. Why? Because I know that the next Xbox
will get modded, and when it does, all my old Xbox games will work with
it (thanks to backwards compatibility), AND I'll get the added benefit
of better emulation (due to the newer CPU, graphics card, etc) of things
like MAME and Frodo. ;)  I for one am looking forward to it.

> If there are only two or three games at launch and there IS backwards
> compatibility, how will that cause you to buy the new machine?

Because the new machine will obviously have a faster CPU and graphics,
which in turn will enhance all the older games that already exist.
That is, the frames-per-second of the older games will be enhanced,
if nothing else. Faster CPU = better gaming, ALWAYS.
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 2:58:00 PM

> Because the new machine will obviously have a faster CPU and graphics,
> which in turn will enhance all the older games that already exist.
> That is, the frames-per-second of the older games will be enhanced,
> if nothing else. Faster CPU = better gaming, ALWAYS.

Not in the console world. Backward compatibility is rare in consoles, but
the ones that do it have NEVER offered better performance for the last-gen
games. GBA doesn't run Game Boy games better, nor does the DS offer
framerate improvement in GBA games. PS1 games on a PS2 still perform just
as badly as they did on PS1. The PS2 does have the "fast load" and "smooth
texture" options, but they usually do nothing, and sometimes cause crashes
or graphical glitches.

Even emulators rarely benefit from faster CPUs, above what's necessary to
run them properly in the first place. They usually emulate slowdown, etc
along with everything else, so performance gain does nothing.
April 14, 2005 3:00:01 PM

atarileaf wrote:

> You can play your current library on your current machine and
> wait until more new games come out on the new machine

That's a silly argument. That's like saying, "Why upgrade your
PC if your current PC runs all your current software?". :)
Everyone with a brain knows that a faster machine will run the
current old software in a more efficient and enjoyable way.
April 14, 2005 4:02:29 PM

Khee Mao wrote:
> "Thoth" <thoth@notlisted.us> wrote in message
>
>>"Khee Mao" <big_bad_buddha_daddy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>news:D 3hguj$jg3$1@gnus01.u.washington.edu...
>>
>>>"Jordan" <lundj@earthlink.net> wrote in message

>>>dude. the xbox service record hasn't been exactly stellar. dvd drives
>>>go bad. I'm already on xbox #2, others I know are on #3. then you
>>>factor in your living space and people (like me) who don't want the
>>>clutter of multiple systems, especially from the same manufacturer.
>>
>>That's a good point. I'm on number 3. I definitely don't have room to
>>put up a bunch of consoles in my living room. I've got my old Nintendo
>>consoles in bags in the closet.
>>

> at least the old Nintendos are all solid state game cartridges, they'll
> probably last forever as they don't have moving parts...my brother still has
> his Atari 2600 (?), which continues to work flawlessly.

speaking of room, the best thing you could do is get a SNES, Sega,
Genesis, Nintendo, and MAME emulator on that xbox which run those games
perfectly if not much better cuz you can do so many extra things such as
saving you game where ever you want :) . I know I'll be holding on to the
box for media playback alone.
April 14, 2005 4:04:57 PM

Khee Mao wrote:
> "Fizzlestix" <fizzlestix@metallica.com> wrote in message
>
>>i have a decent sized collection of xbox games, and since the xbox is
>>the only system i own, if backward compatibility is not an option for
>>the next xbox, then i'll be content to play the games i have for many
>>years to come.
>>

> if your dvd drive lasts "many years".

I'm sure replacement DVD drives will still be around. Even if you
couldnt't get an "xbox dvd drive" (which is next to impossible) you
could use any regular old dvd drive.
April 14, 2005 4:14:56 PM

Khee Mao wrote:
> "Doug Jacobs" <djacobs@shell.rawbw.com> wrote in message
>
>>Stephen Edwards <tg416@cyclic.aux.net> wrote:
>

>>While there's still a chance that the Xbox360 could still be backwards
>>compatible, I really wouldn't bank on it. Adding the hardware would make
>>XBox360 very expensive, and the Xbox360's native hardware isn't nearly
>>powerful enough to handle an Xbox emulated in software.
>

> I can't imagine 3, 3ghz powerpc chips not being up to the task of emulating
> a 733mhz celeron...

I can, if it's not done by MS. Crude emulation takes up ALOT of overhead!
April 14, 2005 6:41:56 PM

HockeyTownUSA wrote:
>>... and more importantly, Xbox360 will lack a HDD.
>

> Who says? I thought there would be a couple versions, or an option to add a
> mass storage device?

yup, there is supposed to be 2 or 3 variants with some scaled (or full)
version of MCE running on those higher end ones.
April 14, 2005 6:43:39 PM

Khee Mao wrote:
> "Grinder" <grinder@no.spam.maam.net> wrote in message
>
>>Has anybody heard rumors about what the price points are going to be for
>>the next gen machines?
>

> http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/8035/3-Million-Xbox-360s-...

250 to 300, thats not bad at all....prolly 300 or a little bit more for
the better "apped" variant.....chump change :)
April 14, 2005 6:45:57 PM

Keith Schiffner wrote:
> "Khee Mao" <big_bad_buddha_daddy@yahoo.com> wrote
> in message
> news:D 3kkkj$u2v$1@gnus01.u.washington.edu...
>
>>"Keith Schiffner" <schistan@3rivers.net> wrote
>>in message

>>>Agreed...but I wont be surprised at a price
>>>comparable to a low end new computer.
>>>--
>>
>>errrr...a new low end computer costs about
>>$300...
>>

>>http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/compare.aspx/d...
>

> Yes but that is a Dell...I'm still burnt on Intell
> chips after the first Celeron's kept cooking
> themselves. 8^) Anyway I'm not sure that a
> computer like that could render as well as the
> current Xbox. I don't know as I haven't checked
> out computers in a while. Well not for that kind
> of ability...

u didn't say what "brand" of low end pc did you? :) ,

Render as good as the xbox? I'm sure it wouldnt with shared onboard
video memory, you'd be lucky if it played anything new.
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 6:45:58 PM

"theOne" <theOneOne@dodgeit.com> wrote in message
> Keith Schiffner wrote:
>> "Khee Mao" <big_bad_buddha_daddy@yahoo.com>
>> wrote in message
>> news:D 3kkkj$u2v$1@gnus01.u.washington.edu...
>>
>>>"Keith Schiffner" <schistan@3rivers.net> wrote
>>>in message

>>>errrr...a new low end computer costs about
>>>$300...
>>>

>>>http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/compare.aspx/d...
>>

>> Yes but that is a Dell...I'm still burnt on
>> Intell chips after the first Celeron's kept
>> cooking themselves. 8^) Anyway I'm not sure
>> that a computer like that could render as well
>> as the current Xbox. I don't know as I haven't
>> checked out computers in a while. Well not for
>> that kind of ability...
>

> u didn't say what "brand" of low end pc did you?
> :) ,

Touche`

> Render as good as the xbox? I'm sure it wouldnt
> with shared onboard video memory, you'd be lucky
> if it played anything new.

Perzacktly! There are some REALY nice video boards
out there...but $400-$500+ bones for one just
isn't for me. I'm so cheap I use BOTH side of the
TP!
--
Keith Schiffner
Assistant to the Assistant Undersecretary of the
Ministry of Silly Walks.
"terrorist organization" is a redundancy
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 6:51:29 PM

<snip>

Backwards-compatibility is so yesterday. I would be infinitely more
interested in forwards-compatibility.
April 14, 2005 6:59:38 PM

Leon Dexter wrote:

> Even emulators rarely benefit from faster CPUs

What? Have you even PLAYED an emulator? Yes I know that there are
ways to limit the original game's speed to 100% but the extra CPU
grunt means you no longer have to skip frames, or reduce the sound
quality, etc. An emulated game on a 1 ghz PC feels totally different
(smoother, plays better, sounds better) to one on a 3 ghz PC -- I've
experienced it firsthand with many different emulators. Your comment
makes me feel as though you're not a diehard emulating enthusiast?
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 6:59:39 PM

> > Even emulators rarely benefit from faster CPUs
>
> What? Have you even PLAYED an emulator? Yes I know that there are
> ways to limit the original game's speed to 100% but the extra CPU
> grunt means you no longer have to skip frames, or reduce the sound
> quality, etc. An emulated game on a 1 ghz PC feels totally different
> (smoother, plays better, sounds better) to one on a 3 ghz PC -- I've
> experienced it firsthand with many different emulators. Your comment
> makes me feel as though you're not a diehard emulating enthusiast?

Thanks for deleting and ignoring the main part of my post. As for the rest,
I said "above what's necessary to run them properly". Emulation of the
older systems reached near-perfection years ago. If you're still missing
frames and lowering the sound quality on 2600/NES/Genesis/SNES games, for
example, something's wrong and it ain't your CPU speed.
And no, I'm not a "diehard" emulating enthusiast. I don't have to be, I'm a
real diehard gamer--I still own all the games I consider worth emulating,
outside of MAME anyway. I have emulators for a lot of systems, but mostly
as curiosities. If I want to play a game, I'll get it out and plug it in.
And I'll go buy it if necessary--which it's probably not.
!