How important is backward-compatibility to you?...

Just curious about some general opinions on this, as I've been reading
some articles on various websites that have me a bit concerned. For me,
I think that if I cannot use any of my XBOX hardware or games on the next
generation XBOX console, I just might be inclined to not purchase one at
all. At the very least, I'd hold off until I was sure that it would be
worth the money.

After all, I purchased an XBOX because I was tired of dumping lots of money
into PCs for gaming. If Microsoft decides that backward-compatibility isn't
all that important, it'll be "just like old times".

Anyone else have any concerns or thoughts on this?

i have a decent sized collection of xbox games, and since the xbox is
the only system i own, if backward compatibility is not an option for
the next xbox, then i'll be content to play the games i have for many
years to come.

i stand corrected... "i'll be content to play the games i have for many
hours to come."

whew... nice catch, Khee Mao! ;o)

Thoth

Distinguished
May 23, 2004

"Stephen Edwards" <tg416@cyclic.aux.net> wrote in message
<snip>
> After all, I purchased an XBOX because I was tired of dumping lots of
> money
> into PCs for gaming. If Microsoft decides that backward-compatibility
> isn't
> all that important, it'll be "just like old times".
>
> Anyone else have any concerns or thoughts on this?

Yes. I want backward computability. I've broken out old games and played
them from time to time. It's a PIA to dig the stuff out of the closet and
hook it up. Obviously, though, given all the Nintendo consoles I've had and
have, I can be easily convinced to buy something that isn't backward
compatible.

"Stephen Edwards" <tg416@cyclic.aux.net> wrote in message
> Just curious about some general opinions on this, as I've been reading
> some articles on various websites that have me a bit concerned. For me,
> I think that if I cannot use any of my XBOX hardware or games on the next
> generation XBOX console, I just might be inclined to not purchase one at
> all. At the very least, I'd hold off until I was sure that it would be
> worth the money.
>
> After all, I purchased an XBOX because I was tired of dumping lots of
> money
> into PCs for gaming. If Microsoft decides that backward-compatibility
> isn't
> all that important, it'll be "just like old times".
>
> Anyone else have any concerns or thoughts on this?

It would be nice, but if it inflates the cost of the unit by more than $50
then I would be just as happy if they left it out. I rarely replay a game,
and almost never replay a game from an old generation of hardware.

Jordan

You already own an Xbox so backwards compatibility isn't an issue. Your
existing Xbox isn't going anywhere (unless you sell it.)

There's no law that says console ownership is mutually exclusive.

Of all the consoles going back to the Atari 2600 backwards
compatability was the exception, not the rule.

- Jordan

"Jordan" <lundj@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> You already own an Xbox so backwards compatibility isn't an issue. Your
> existing Xbox isn't going anywhere (unless you sell it.)
>
> There's no law that says console ownership is mutually exclusive.
>
> Of all the consoles going back to the Atari 2600 backwards
> compatability was the exception, not the rule.
>
> - Jordan

dude. the xbox service record hasn't been exactly stellar. dvd drives go
bad. I'm already on xbox #2, others I know are on #3. then you factor in
your living space and people (like me) who don't want the clutter of
multiple systems, especially from the same manufacturer.

"Fizzlestix" <fizzlestix@metallica.com> wrote in message
>i have a decent sized collection of xbox games, and since the xbox is
> the only system i own, if backward compatibility is not an option for
> the next xbox, then i'll be content to play the games i have for many
> years to come.

if your dvd drive lasts "many years".

Thoth

Distinguished
May 23, 2004

"Khee Mao" <big_bad_buddha_daddy@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "Jordan" <lundj@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> You already own an Xbox so backwards compatibility isn't an issue. Your
>> existing Xbox isn't going anywhere (unless you sell it.)<snip>
>>
> dude. the xbox service record hasn't been exactly stellar. dvd drives go
> bad. I'm already on xbox #2, others I know are on #3. then you factor in
> your living space and people (like me) who don't want the clutter of
> multiple systems, especially from the same manufacturer.

That's a good point. I'm on number 3. I definitely don't have room to put
up a bunch of consoles in my living room. I've got my old Nintendo consoles
in bags in the closet.

"Thoth" <thoth@notlisted.us> wrote in message
> "Khee Mao" <big_bad_buddha_daddy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Jordan" <lundj@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>> You already own an Xbox so backwards compatibility isn't an issue. Your
>>> existing Xbox isn't going anywhere (unless you sell it.)<snip>
>>>
>> dude. the xbox service record hasn't been exactly stellar. dvd drives
>> go bad. I'm already on xbox #2, others I know are on #3. then you
>> factor in your living space and people (like me) who don't want the
>> clutter of multiple systems, especially from the same manufacturer.
>
> That's a good point. I'm on number 3. I definitely don't have room to
> put up a bunch of consoles in my living room. I've got my old Nintendo
> consoles in bags in the closet.

at least the old Nintendos are all solid state game cartridges, they'll
probably last forever as they don't have moving parts...my brother still has
his Atari 2600 (?), which continues to work flawlessly.

Khee Mao wrote:
> "Thoth" <thoth@notlisted.us> wrote in message
>
>>"Khee Mao" <big_bad_buddha_daddy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>"Jordan" <lundj@earthlink.net> wrote in message

>>>dude. the xbox service record hasn't been exactly stellar. dvd drives
>>>go bad. I'm already on xbox #2, others I know are on #3. then you
>>>factor in your living space and people (like me) who don't want the
>>>clutter of multiple systems, especially from the same manufacturer.
>>
>>That's a good point. I'm on number 3. I definitely don't have room to
>>put up a bunch of consoles in my living room. I've got my old Nintendo
>>consoles in bags in the closet.
>>

> at least the old Nintendos are all solid state game cartridges, they'll
> probably last forever as they don't have moving parts...my brother still has
> his Atari 2600 (?), which continues to work flawlessly.

That is true...I still have my 2600 and it works just fine. I break it
out about once or twice a year ;) Still have a working Pong/Odessey also.

"massivegrooves" <massivegrooves@massivegrooves.net> wrote in message

> Khee Mao wrote:
>> "Thoth" <thoth@notlisted.us> wrote in message
>>
>>>"Khee Mao" <big_bad_buddha_daddy@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>>That's a good point. I'm on number 3. I definitely don't have room to
>>>put up a bunch of consoles in my living room. I've got my old Nintendo
>>>consoles in bags in the closet.
>>>

>> at least the old Nintendos are all solid state game cartridges, they'll
>> probably last forever as they don't have moving parts...my brother still
>> has his Atari 2600 (?), which continues to work flawlessly.
>
> That is true...I still have my 2600 and it works just fine. I break it out
> about once or twice a year ;) Still have a working Pong/Odessey also.

Wow, the memories!

I wish I still had my Atari 2600. Of course they have those machines now
with like 100 games preloaded on them. I may just have to get one of those.

I hope they have backwards compatability as well. Too bad they can't go to
cartridges, but it would cost too much. But maybe some new technology would
make it cheap enough. But nothing is cheaper than a flat plastic DVD disk.
Not only that, it would make pirating much more difficult.

Oh well, we will probably find out May 12!

HockeyTownUSA wrote:
> "massivegrooves" <massivegrooves@massivegrooves.net> wrote in message
>

>>Khee Mao wrote:
>>
>>>"Thoth" <thoth@notlisted.us> wrote in message

>>>at least the old Nintendos are all solid state game cartridges, they'll
>>>probably last forever as they don't have moving parts...my brother still
>>>has his Atari 2600 (?), which continues to work flawlessly.
>>
>>That is true...I still have my 2600 and it works just fine. I break it out
>>about once or twice a year ;) Still have a working Pong/Odessey also.
>>

> Wow, the memories!
>
> I wish I still had my Atari 2600. Of course they have those machines now
> with like 100 games preloaded on them. I may just have to get one of those.

Those type of things are okay...still just not quite the same thing as
playing the original though. Controller, etc..

> I hope they have backwards compatability as well. Too bad they can't go to
> cartridges, but it would cost too much. But maybe some new technology would
> make it cheap enough. But nothing is cheaper than a flat plastic DVD disk.
> Not only that, it would make pirating much more difficult.
>
> Oh well, we will probably find out May 12!

"Stephen Edwards" <tg416@cyclic.aux.net> wrote in message
> Just curious about some general opinions on this, as I've been reading
> some articles on various websites that have me a bit concerned. For me,
> I think that if I cannot use any of my XBOX hardware or games on the next
> generation XBOX console, I just might be inclined to not purchase one at
> all. At the very least, I'd hold off until I was sure that it would be
> worth the money.

your logic is flawed. I personally dont intend to buy a next gen console
for the purpose of playing current gen games on, if they play them then
great, and yeah I'd play them on it if it works.
but, that isnt why im buying a next gen console, im buying a next gen
console to play next gen games. and I really dont care if it plays the old
ones or not, I already have a console for that.

"Stephen Edwards" <tg416@cyclic.aux.net> wrote in message

Not very important to me. I keep my old consoles. And I prefer that new
ones aren't hamstrung by backward compatibility--they're designed around a
tight per-unit budget, and I'd prefer that money be spent on other things.
The PS2's lame 2-controller design, and possibly its extremely slow memory
card access, and maybe even some of its poor graphical capabilities can be
lain at the feet of its need for backward compatibility.

How important it is to the masses is something else, but who can tell? The
world-beating PS2 and GBA are both backward compatible, but they're also
both very strong brand names. I think backward compatibility is probably
pretty important for the PS3, building on that brand name. But Nintendo's
next system, the Revolution, is backward compatible with Gamecube, they
say--and I doubt the general public will really care.

As for the Xbox 2, I'd normally say who cares, but they are launching well
before the Xbox's popularity warrants it. Historically, systems come out
when the interest in their predecessor is waning pretty heavily as it
becomes clear that its hardware is no longer up to par. That's not the case
now, not even for the PS2 (borderline there). So backward compatibility
might be more important for Xbox 2 than it would for a "normal" console
launch--a launch where a passing of the baton is more welcomed.

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 21:23:42 -0000, tg416@cyclic.aux.net (Stephen
Edwards) wrote:

>Just curious about some general opinions on this, as I've been reading
>some articles on various websites that have me a bit concerned. For me,
>I think that if I cannot use any of my XBOX hardware or games on the next
>generation XBOX console, I just might be inclined to not purchase one at
>all. At the very least, I'd hold off until I was sure that it would be
>worth the money.
>
>After all, I purchased an XBOX because I was tired of dumping lots of money
>into PCs for gaming. If Microsoft decides that backward-compatibility isn't
>all that important, it'll be "just like old times".
>
>Anyone else have any concerns or thoughts on this?

To me, backwards compatibility is fairly important. In fact, I'm
willing to pay a premium ($50-$75) for this feature. Primarily it
comes down to system clutter. I don't want to have to make space for
another system and make addition audio/video/network/AC connections.
The sheer number of wires on my system is ridiculous. Organized, but a
challenge to keep it that way. I certainly don't want to deal with
swapping cables every time I switch systems.

I've got a rather large collection of XBOX games that I'm certain I'll
keep playing for years to come. It is going to take at least a year
for XBOX 360 to have enough offerings that'll appease my thirst for
variety.

All that being said what irks me most about a system without backwards
compatibility is the peripherals. I don't want to have to buy 4 new
controllers, a new memory card, a new HDTV pack, a new live headset,
new lightgun, etc. for a system just because Microsoft feels it must
change the design and interface for peripherals. The is no reason all
these items couldn't be compatible. It is sheer greed that causes this
change.

I guarantee I'd be buying an XBOX 360 at or near launch if backwards
compatibility is included. If it isn't I'll almost certainly wait a
year for price drop, discount games and keep playing my XBOX,
Dreamcast, PSP, MAME machine, and pinball machines in the mean time.

Mark
Atlanta GA

> dude. the xbox service record hasn't been exactly stellar. dvd drives go
> bad. I'm already on xbox #2, others I know are on #3....

I've had my Xbox for three years now, and I've had no problem whatsoever.

--
terry v
GT: terryfied

Zeke

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2004

In article <tg416-1204051435560001@ip-140-158-18.phx.extremezone.com>,
tg416@cyclic.aux.net says...
> Just curious about some general opinions on this, as I've been reading
> some articles on various websites that have me a bit concerned. For me,
> I think that if I cannot use any of my XBOX hardware or games on the next
> generation XBOX console, I just might be inclined to not purchase one at
> all. At the very least, I'd hold off until I was sure that it would be
> worth the money.
>
> After all, I purchased an XBOX because I was tired of dumping lots of money
> into PCs for gaming. If Microsoft decides that backward-compatibility isn't
> all that important, it'll be "just like old times".
>
> Anyone else have any concerns or thoughts on this?

I'm going to wait for the console to come down under $200 US anyway
before I buy one. While I'm waiting, I'll start buying all the old Xbox
games that I missed because of cost when they wind up in the $9.99 bin
at EB or BB.

www.geocities.com/mtb2k -Personal Site
"Stephen Edwards" <tg416@cyclic.aux.net> wrote in message
> Just curious about some general opinions on this, as I've been reading
> some articles on various websites that have me a bit concerned. For me,
> I think that if I cannot use any of my XBOX hardware or games on the next
> generation XBOX console, I just might be inclined to not purchase one at
> all. At the very least, I'd hold off until I was sure that it would be
> worth the money.
>
> After all, I purchased an XBOX because I was tired of dumping lots of
money
> into PCs for gaming. If Microsoft decides that backward-compatibility
isn't
> all that important, it'll be "just like old times".
>
> Anyone else have any concerns or thoughts on this?

not very

Wont matter to me. I wont buy xbox2 anytime soon after its release. I
dont feel the gaming is going to change in leaps and bounds from xbox1
to xbox2 anyways. Like it did for me going from N64 to xbox.

"QUAKEnSHAKE" <QUAKEnSHAKE@webtv.net> wrote in
message
> Wont matter to me. I wont buy xbox2 anytime
> soon after its release. I
> dont feel the gaming is going to change in leaps
> and bounds from xbox1
> to xbox2 anyways. Like it did for me going from
> N64 to xbox.

Agreed on that point. I'll wait until the intro
price calms down a bit...if I could wait until
last summer to get an XBOX I can wait at least
that long for what ever the hell they are calling
the new one. <grump> I'll be laughing my ass off
if everyone's speculation on the naming is OFF.
--
Keith Schiffner
Assistant to the Assistant Undersecretary of the

qwerty

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2002

HockeyTownUSA wrote:

> I wish I still had my Atari 2600

You still do... in a way. :) Is your Xbox modded? If so, get
the 2600 emulator for it and you're away! :)

"qwerty" <qwerty@qwerty.com> wrote in message
> HockeyTownUSA wrote:
>
>> I wish I still had my Atari 2600
>
> You still do... in a way. :) Is your Xbox modded? If so, get
> the 2600 emulator for it and you're away! :)

I think there are a bunch of old school games on xbox arcade too...

Stephen Edwards <tg416@cyclic.aux.net> wrote:

> Just curious about some general opinions on this, as I've been reading
> some articles on various websites that have me a bit concerned. For me,
> I think that if I cannot use any of my XBOX hardware or games on the next
> generation XBOX console, I just might be inclined to not purchase one at
> all. At the very least, I'd hold off until I was sure that it would be
> worth the money.

Very few consoles have had backwards compatibility. The PS2 was the first
in a long long time to have it.

Anyways, it's a moot point. The XBox360 is most likely NOT going to be
backwards compatible. It's based on a radically different architecture
than the Xbox, and more importantly, Xbox360 will lack a HDD.

While there's still a chance that the Xbox360 could still be backwards
compatible, I really wouldn't bank on it. Adding the hardware would make
XBox360 very expensive, and the Xbox360's native hardware isn't nearly
powerful enough to handle an Xbox emulated in software.

Pity. A Xbox360 with backwards compatibility would have made the console
that much more attractive to folks who don't already have an XBox, and
wanted to get a new console before the PS3 would have been released. Yet
another opportunity blown by Microsoft.

As it stands now, if you want an XBox, you're better off just buying one
now. There's easily enough XBox games out there to keep most gamers busy
for a year or so, by which time, PS3 will probably be out, and Microsoft
will be annoucing its first price cut on the XBox360.

"Doug Jacobs" <djacobs@shell.rawbw.com> wrote in message
> Stephen Edwards <tg416@cyclic.aux.net> wrote:

> While there's still a chance that the Xbox360 could still be backwards
> compatible, I really wouldn't bank on it. Adding the hardware would make
> XBox360 very expensive, and the Xbox360's native hardware isn't nearly
> powerful enough to handle an Xbox emulated in software.

I can't imagine 3, 3ghz powerpc chips not being up to the task of emulating
a 733mhz celeron...