How important is backward-compatibility to you?...

Just curious about some general opinions on this, as I've been reading
some articles on various websites that have me a bit concerned. For me,
I think that if I cannot use any of my XBOX hardware or games on the next
generation XBOX console, I just might be inclined to not purchase one at
all. At the very least, I'd hold off until I was sure that it would be
worth the money.

After all, I purchased an XBOX because I was tired of dumping lots of money
into PCs for gaming. If Microsoft decides that backward-compatibility isn't
all that important, it'll be "just like old times".

Anyone else have any concerns or thoughts on this?
77 answers Last reply
More about important backward compatibility

    You already own an Xbox so backwards compatibility isn't an issue. Your
    existing Xbox isn't going anywhere (unless you sell it.)

    There's no law that says console ownership is mutually exclusive.

    Of all the consoles going back to the Atari 2600 backwards
    compatability was the exception, not the rule.

    - Jordan

    i have a decent sized collection of xbox games, and since the xbox is
    the only system i own, if backward compatibility is not an option for
    the next xbox, then i'll be content to play the games i have for many
    years to come.

    i stand corrected... "i'll be content to play the games i have for many
    hours to come."

    whew... nice catch, Khee Mao! ;o)

    "Stephen Edwards" <tg416@cyclic.aux.net> wrote in message
    <snip>
    > After all, I purchased an XBOX because I was tired of dumping lots of
    > money
    > into PCs for gaming. If Microsoft decides that backward-compatibility
    > isn't
    > all that important, it'll be "just like old times".
    >
    > Anyone else have any concerns or thoughts on this?

    Yes. I want backward computability. I've broken out old games and played
    them from time to time. It's a PIA to dig the stuff out of the closet and
    hook it up. Obviously, though, given all the Nintendo consoles I've had and
    have, I can be easily convinced to buy something that isn't backward
    compatible.

    "Stephen Edwards" <tg416@cyclic.aux.net> wrote in message
    > Just curious about some general opinions on this, as I've been reading
    > some articles on various websites that have me a bit concerned. For me,
    > I think that if I cannot use any of my XBOX hardware or games on the next
    > generation XBOX console, I just might be inclined to not purchase one at
    > all. At the very least, I'd hold off until I was sure that it would be
    > worth the money.
    >
    > After all, I purchased an XBOX because I was tired of dumping lots of
    > money
    > into PCs for gaming. If Microsoft decides that backward-compatibility
    > isn't
    > all that important, it'll be "just like old times".
    >
    > Anyone else have any concerns or thoughts on this?

    It would be nice, but if it inflates the cost of the unit by more than $50
    then I would be just as happy if they left it out. I rarely replay a game,
    and almost never replay a game from an old generation of hardware.

    "Jordan" <lundj@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > You already own an Xbox so backwards compatibility isn't an issue. Your
    > existing Xbox isn't going anywhere (unless you sell it.)
    >
    > There's no law that says console ownership is mutually exclusive.
    >
    > Of all the consoles going back to the Atari 2600 backwards
    > compatability was the exception, not the rule.
    >
    > - Jordan

    dude. the xbox service record hasn't been exactly stellar. dvd drives go
    bad. I'm already on xbox #2, others I know are on #3. then you factor in
    your living space and people (like me) who don't want the clutter of
    multiple systems, especially from the same manufacturer.

    "Fizzlestix" <fizzlestix@metallica.com> wrote in message
    >i have a decent sized collection of xbox games, and since the xbox is
    > the only system i own, if backward compatibility is not an option for
    > the next xbox, then i'll be content to play the games i have for many
    > years to come.

    if your dvd drive lasts "many years".

    "Khee Mao" <big_bad_buddha_daddy@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > "Jordan" <lundj@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >> You already own an Xbox so backwards compatibility isn't an issue. Your
    >> existing Xbox isn't going anywhere (unless you sell it.)<snip>
    >>
    > dude. the xbox service record hasn't been exactly stellar. dvd drives go
    > bad. I'm already on xbox #2, others I know are on #3. then you factor in
    > your living space and people (like me) who don't want the clutter of
    > multiple systems, especially from the same manufacturer.

    That's a good point. I'm on number 3. I definitely don't have room to put
    up a bunch of consoles in my living room. I've got my old Nintendo consoles
    in bags in the closet.

    "Thoth" <thoth@notlisted.us> wrote in message
    > "Khee Mao" <big_bad_buddha_daddy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Jordan" <lundj@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >>> You already own an Xbox so backwards compatibility isn't an issue. Your
    >>> existing Xbox isn't going anywhere (unless you sell it.)<snip>
    >>>
    >> dude. the xbox service record hasn't been exactly stellar. dvd drives
    >> go bad. I'm already on xbox #2, others I know are on #3. then you
    >> factor in your living space and people (like me) who don't want the
    >> clutter of multiple systems, especially from the same manufacturer.
    >
    > That's a good point. I'm on number 3. I definitely don't have room to
    > put up a bunch of consoles in my living room. I've got my old Nintendo
    > consoles in bags in the closet.

    at least the old Nintendos are all solid state game cartridges, they'll
    probably last forever as they don't have moving parts...my brother still has
    his Atari 2600 (?), which continues to work flawlessly.

    Khee Mao wrote:
    > "Thoth" <thoth@notlisted.us> wrote in message
    >
    >>"Khee Mao" <big_bad_buddha_daddy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>"Jordan" <lundj@earthlink.net> wrote in message

    >>>dude. the xbox service record hasn't been exactly stellar. dvd drives
    >>>go bad. I'm already on xbox #2, others I know are on #3. then you
    >>>factor in your living space and people (like me) who don't want the
    >>>clutter of multiple systems, especially from the same manufacturer.
    >>
    >>That's a good point. I'm on number 3. I definitely don't have room to
    >>put up a bunch of consoles in my living room. I've got my old Nintendo
    >>consoles in bags in the closet.
    >>

    > at least the old Nintendos are all solid state game cartridges, they'll
    > probably last forever as they don't have moving parts...my brother still has
    > his Atari 2600 (?), which continues to work flawlessly.

    That is true...I still have my 2600 and it works just fine. I break it
    out about once or twice a year ;) Still have a working Pong/Odessey also.

    "massivegrooves" <massivegrooves@massivegrooves.net> wrote in message

    > Khee Mao wrote:
    >> "Thoth" <thoth@notlisted.us> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>"Khee Mao" <big_bad_buddha_daddy@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    >>>That's a good point. I'm on number 3. I definitely don't have room to
    >>>put up a bunch of consoles in my living room. I've got my old Nintendo
    >>>consoles in bags in the closet.
    >>>

    >> at least the old Nintendos are all solid state game cartridges, they'll
    >> probably last forever as they don't have moving parts...my brother still
    >> has his Atari 2600 (?), which continues to work flawlessly.
    >
    > That is true...I still have my 2600 and it works just fine. I break it out
    > about once or twice a year ;) Still have a working Pong/Odessey also.

    Wow, the memories!

    I wish I still had my Atari 2600. Of course they have those machines now
    with like 100 games preloaded on them. I may just have to get one of those.

    I hope they have backwards compatability as well. Too bad they can't go to
    cartridges, but it would cost too much. But maybe some new technology would
    make it cheap enough. But nothing is cheaper than a flat plastic DVD disk.
    Not only that, it would make pirating much more difficult.

    Oh well, we will probably find out May 12!

    HockeyTownUSA wrote:
    > "massivegrooves" <massivegrooves@massivegrooves.net> wrote in message
    >

    >>Khee Mao wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Thoth" <thoth@notlisted.us> wrote in message

    >>>at least the old Nintendos are all solid state game cartridges, they'll
    >>>probably last forever as they don't have moving parts...my brother still
    >>>has his Atari 2600 (?), which continues to work flawlessly.
    >>
    >>That is true...I still have my 2600 and it works just fine. I break it out
    >>about once or twice a year ;) Still have a working Pong/Odessey also.
    >>

    > Wow, the memories!
    >
    > I wish I still had my Atari 2600. Of course they have those machines now
    > with like 100 games preloaded on them. I may just have to get one of those.

    Those type of things are okay...still just not quite the same thing as
    playing the original though. Controller, etc..

    > I hope they have backwards compatability as well. Too bad they can't go to
    > cartridges, but it would cost too much. But maybe some new technology would
    > make it cheap enough. But nothing is cheaper than a flat plastic DVD disk.
    > Not only that, it would make pirating much more difficult.
    >
    > Oh well, we will probably find out May 12!

    "Stephen Edwards" <tg416@cyclic.aux.net> wrote in message
    > Just curious about some general opinions on this, as I've been reading
    > some articles on various websites that have me a bit concerned. For me,
    > I think that if I cannot use any of my XBOX hardware or games on the next
    > generation XBOX console, I just might be inclined to not purchase one at
    > all. At the very least, I'd hold off until I was sure that it would be
    > worth the money.

    your logic is flawed. I personally dont intend to buy a next gen console
    for the purpose of playing current gen games on, if they play them then
    great, and yeah I'd play them on it if it works.
    but, that isnt why im buying a next gen console, im buying a next gen
    console to play next gen games. and I really dont care if it plays the old
    ones or not, I already have a console for that.

    "Stephen Edwards" <tg416@cyclic.aux.net> wrote in message

    Not very important to me. I keep my old consoles. And I prefer that new
    ones aren't hamstrung by backward compatibility--they're designed around a
    tight per-unit budget, and I'd prefer that money be spent on other things.
    The PS2's lame 2-controller design, and possibly its extremely slow memory
    card access, and maybe even some of its poor graphical capabilities can be
    lain at the feet of its need for backward compatibility.

    How important it is to the masses is something else, but who can tell? The
    world-beating PS2 and GBA are both backward compatible, but they're also
    both very strong brand names. I think backward compatibility is probably
    pretty important for the PS3, building on that brand name. But Nintendo's
    next system, the Revolution, is backward compatible with Gamecube, they
    say--and I doubt the general public will really care.

    As for the Xbox 2, I'd normally say who cares, but they are launching well
    before the Xbox's popularity warrants it. Historically, systems come out
    when the interest in their predecessor is waning pretty heavily as it
    becomes clear that its hardware is no longer up to par. That's not the case
    now, not even for the PS2 (borderline there). So backward compatibility
    might be more important for Xbox 2 than it would for a "normal" console
    launch--a launch where a passing of the baton is more welcomed.

    On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 21:23:42 -0000, tg416@cyclic.aux.net (Stephen
    Edwards) wrote:

    >Just curious about some general opinions on this, as I've been reading
    >some articles on various websites that have me a bit concerned. For me,
    >I think that if I cannot use any of my XBOX hardware or games on the next
    >generation XBOX console, I just might be inclined to not purchase one at
    >all. At the very least, I'd hold off until I was sure that it would be
    >worth the money.
    >
    >After all, I purchased an XBOX because I was tired of dumping lots of money
    >into PCs for gaming. If Microsoft decides that backward-compatibility isn't
    >all that important, it'll be "just like old times".
    >
    >Anyone else have any concerns or thoughts on this?

    To me, backwards compatibility is fairly important. In fact, I'm
    willing to pay a premium ($50-$75) for this feature. Primarily it
    comes down to system clutter. I don't want to have to make space for
    another system and make addition audio/video/network/AC connections.
    The sheer number of wires on my system is ridiculous. Organized, but a
    challenge to keep it that way. I certainly don't want to deal with
    swapping cables every time I switch systems.

    I've got a rather large collection of XBOX games that I'm certain I'll
    keep playing for years to come. It is going to take at least a year
    for XBOX 360 to have enough offerings that'll appease my thirst for
    variety.

    All that being said what irks me most about a system without backwards
    compatibility is the peripherals. I don't want to have to buy 4 new
    controllers, a new memory card, a new HDTV pack, a new live headset,
    new lightgun, etc. for a system just because Microsoft feels it must
    change the design and interface for peripherals. The is no reason all
    these items couldn't be compatible. It is sheer greed that causes this
    change.

    I guarantee I'd be buying an XBOX 360 at or near launch if backwards
    compatibility is included. If it isn't I'll almost certainly wait a
    year for price drop, discount games and keep playing my XBOX,
    Dreamcast, PSP, MAME machine, and pinball machines in the mean time.

    Mark
    Atlanta GA

    > dude. the xbox service record hasn't been exactly stellar. dvd drives go
    > bad. I'm already on xbox #2, others I know are on #3....

    I've had my Xbox for three years now, and I've had no problem whatsoever.

    --
    terry v
    GT: terryfied

    In article <tg416-1204051435560001@ip-140-158-18.phx.extremezone.com>,
    tg416@cyclic.aux.net says...
    > Just curious about some general opinions on this, as I've been reading
    > some articles on various websites that have me a bit concerned. For me,
    > I think that if I cannot use any of my XBOX hardware or games on the next
    > generation XBOX console, I just might be inclined to not purchase one at
    > all. At the very least, I'd hold off until I was sure that it would be
    > worth the money.
    >
    > After all, I purchased an XBOX because I was tired of dumping lots of money
    > into PCs for gaming. If Microsoft decides that backward-compatibility isn't
    > all that important, it'll be "just like old times".
    >
    > Anyone else have any concerns or thoughts on this?

    I'm going to wait for the console to come down under $200 US anyway
    before I buy one. While I'm waiting, I'll start buying all the old Xbox
    games that I missed because of cost when they wind up in the $9.99 bin
    at EB or BB.

    www.geocities.com/mtb2k -Personal Site
    "Stephen Edwards" <tg416@cyclic.aux.net> wrote in message
    > Just curious about some general opinions on this, as I've been reading
    > some articles on various websites that have me a bit concerned. For me,
    > I think that if I cannot use any of my XBOX hardware or games on the next
    > generation XBOX console, I just might be inclined to not purchase one at
    > all. At the very least, I'd hold off until I was sure that it would be
    > worth the money.
    >
    > After all, I purchased an XBOX because I was tired of dumping lots of
    money
    > into PCs for gaming. If Microsoft decides that backward-compatibility
    isn't
    > all that important, it'll be "just like old times".
    >
    > Anyone else have any concerns or thoughts on this?

    not very

    Wont matter to me. I wont buy xbox2 anytime soon after its release. I
    dont feel the gaming is going to change in leaps and bounds from xbox1
    to xbox2 anyways. Like it did for me going from N64 to xbox.

    "QUAKEnSHAKE" <QUAKEnSHAKE@webtv.net> wrote in
    message
    > Wont matter to me. I wont buy xbox2 anytime
    > soon after its release. I
    > dont feel the gaming is going to change in leaps
    > and bounds from xbox1
    > to xbox2 anyways. Like it did for me going from
    > N64 to xbox.

    Agreed on that point. I'll wait until the intro
    price calms down a bit...if I could wait until
    last summer to get an XBOX I can wait at least
    that long for what ever the hell they are calling
    the new one. <grump> I'll be laughing my ass off
    if everyone's speculation on the naming is OFF.
    --
    Keith Schiffner
    Assistant to the Assistant Undersecretary of the

    HockeyTownUSA wrote:

    > I wish I still had my Atari 2600

    You still do... in a way. :) Is your Xbox modded? If so, get
    the 2600 emulator for it and you're away! :)

    "qwerty" <qwerty@qwerty.com> wrote in message
    > HockeyTownUSA wrote:
    >
    >> I wish I still had my Atari 2600
    >
    > You still do... in a way. :) Is your Xbox modded? If so, get
    > the 2600 emulator for it and you're away! :)

    I think there are a bunch of old school games on xbox arcade too...

    Stephen Edwards <tg416@cyclic.aux.net> wrote:

    > Just curious about some general opinions on this, as I've been reading
    > some articles on various websites that have me a bit concerned. For me,
    > I think that if I cannot use any of my XBOX hardware or games on the next
    > generation XBOX console, I just might be inclined to not purchase one at
    > all. At the very least, I'd hold off until I was sure that it would be
    > worth the money.

    Very few consoles have had backwards compatibility. The PS2 was the first
    in a long long time to have it.

    Anyways, it's a moot point. The XBox360 is most likely NOT going to be
    backwards compatible. It's based on a radically different architecture
    than the Xbox, and more importantly, Xbox360 will lack a HDD.

    While there's still a chance that the Xbox360 could still be backwards
    compatible, I really wouldn't bank on it. Adding the hardware would make
    XBox360 very expensive, and the Xbox360's native hardware isn't nearly
    powerful enough to handle an Xbox emulated in software.

    Pity. A Xbox360 with backwards compatibility would have made the console
    that much more attractive to folks who don't already have an XBox, and
    wanted to get a new console before the PS3 would have been released. Yet
    another opportunity blown by Microsoft.

    As it stands now, if you want an XBox, you're better off just buying one
    now. There's easily enough XBox games out there to keep most gamers busy
    for a year or so, by which time, PS3 will probably be out, and Microsoft
    will be annoucing its first price cut on the XBox360.

    "Doug Jacobs" <djacobs@shell.rawbw.com> wrote in message
    > Stephen Edwards <tg416@cyclic.aux.net> wrote:

    > While there's still a chance that the Xbox360 could still be backwards
    > compatible, I really wouldn't bank on it. Adding the hardware would make
    > XBox360 very expensive, and the Xbox360's native hardware isn't nearly
    > powerful enough to handle an Xbox emulated in software.

    I can't imagine 3, 3ghz powerpc chips not being up to the task of emulating
    a 733mhz celeron...

    > ... and more importantly, Xbox360 will lack a HDD.

    Who says? I thought there would be a couple versions, or an option to add a
    mass storage device?

    How important? Not very... because I know once the Xbox 360 gets
    hacked and modded (and it *WILL*), that a "classic Xbox" emulator
    for it will follow suit very quickly. ;)

    Backwards compatibility will not get people to buy a new console. Good
    quality new games for the new console will. If there are only two or three
    games at launch and there IS backwards compatibility, how will that cause
    you to buy the new machine? You can play your current library on your
    current machine and wait until more new games come out on the new machine
    and it drops in price to get the new one.

    And although I think someone mentioned it, backwards compatibility goes back
    to the days of Atari too. If you remember, the Atari 7800 is backwards
    compatible for almost all 2600 games, with a few exceptions for technical
    reasons.

    Cheers!

    Keith Schiffner wrote:
    > "QUAKEnSHAKE" <QUAKEnSHAKE@webtv.net> wrote in
    > message
    >
    >>Wont matter to me. I wont buy xbox2 anytime
    >>soon after its release. I
    >>dont feel the gaming is going to change in leaps
    >>and bounds from xbox1
    >>to xbox2 anyways. Like it did for me going from
    >>N64 to xbox.
    >

    > Agreed on that point. I'll wait until the intro
    > price calms down a bit...if I could wait until
    > last summer to get an XBOX I can wait at least
    > that long for what ever the hell they are calling
    > the new one. <grump> I'll be laughing my ass off
    > if everyone's speculation on the naming is OFF.

    Has anybody heard rumors about what the price points are going to be for
    the next gen machines?

    http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/8035/3-Million-Xbox-360s-by-December-at-249299/

    > "Grinder" <grinder@no.spam.maam.net> wrote in
    > message news:fqj7e.12560$GJ.2666@attbi_s71...
    >>
    >> Has anybody heard rumors about what the price
    >> points are going to be for the next gen
    >> machines?
    >
    > http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/8035/3-Million-Xbox-360s-by-December-at-249299/

    Hmm, remember kids these are rumors for now. I
    wont TRY to remember WHAT the old Atari 2600 and
    or 5200 went for new on the first day of sales.
    --
    Keith Schiffner
    Assistant to the Assistant Undersecretary of the
    Ministry of Silly Walks.
    "terrorist organization" is a redundancy

    "Khee Mao" <big_bad_buddha_daddy@yahoo.com> wrote
    in message

    > "Grinder" <grinder@no.spam.maam.net> wrote in
    > message news:fqj7e.12560$GJ.2666@attbi_s71...
    >>
    >> Has anybody heard rumors about what the price
    >> points are going to be for the next gen
    >> machines?
    >
    > http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/8035/3-Million-Xbox-360s-by-December-at-249299/

    FINALLY got to looking at that. Interesting, I'm
    thinking like the Goldman-Sachs guys...if we are
    right maybe I ought to get a job doing
    prognostication of future releases of hardware.
    ;^)
    --

    "Keith Schiffner" <schistan@3rivers.net> wrote in message
    >> http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/8035/3-Million-Xbox-360s-by-December-at-249299/
    >
    > Hmm, remember kids these are rumors for now. I wont TRY to remember WHAT
    > the old Atari 2600 and or 5200 went for new on the first day of sales.
    > --
    > Keith Schiffner
    > Assistant to the Assistant Undersecretary of the Ministry of Silly Walks.
    > "terrorist organization" is a redundancy

    $299 has been an historically reliable launch price, though I'd be surprised
    to see the 360 this inexpensive due to its capabilities as a media hub.

    > "Keith Schiffner" <schistan@3rivers.net> wrote
    > in message news:8aedncz7qoAsV8DfRVn-sQ@vnet-
    >>> http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/8035/3-Million-Xbox-360s-by-December-at-249299/
    >>
    >> Hmm, remember kids these are rumors for now. I
    >> wont TRY to remember WHAT the old Atari 2600
    >> and or 5200 went for new on the first day of
    >> sales.
    >> --
    >> Keith Schiffner
    >> Assistant to the Assistant Undersecretary of
    >> the Ministry of Silly Walks.
    >> "terrorist organization" is a redundancy
    >>

    > $299 has been an historically reliable launch
    > price, though I'd be surprised to see the 360
    > this inexpensive due to its capabilities as a
    > media hub.

    Agreed...but I wont be surprised at a price
    comparable to a low end new computer.
    --

    Khee Mao wrote:
    > "Keith Schiffner" <schistan@3rivers.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>>http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/8035/3-Million-Xbox-360s-by-December-at-249299/
    >>
    >>Hmm, remember kids these are rumors for now. I wont TRY to remember WHAT
    >>the old Atari 2600 and or 5200 went for new on the first day of sales.
    >>--
    >>Keith Schiffner
    >>Assistant to the Assistant Undersecretary of the Ministry of Silly Walks.
    >>"terrorist organization" is a redundancy
    >>

    > $299 has been an historically reliable launch price, though I'd be surprised
    > to see the 360 this inexpensive due to its capabilities as a media hub.

    That is the number I would bet on right now...

    > "Khee Mao" <big_bad_buddha_daddy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> $299 has been an historically reliable launch price, though I'd be
    >> surprised to see the 360 this inexpensive due to its capabilities as a
    >> media hub.
    >
    > Agreed...but I wont be surprised at a price comparable to a low end new
    > computer.
    > --

    errrr...a new low end computer costs about $300...

    http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/compare.aspx/desktops?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

    > "Keith Schiffner" <schistan@3rivers.net> wrote
    > in message
    >>
    >> "Khee Mao" <big_bad_buddha_daddy@yahoo.com>
    >> wrote in message
    >>> $299 has been an historically reliable launch
    >>> price, though I'd be surprised to see the 360
    >>> this inexpensive due to its capabilities as a
    >>> media hub.
    >>
    >> Agreed...but I wont be surprised at a price
    >> comparable to a low end new computer.
    >> --
    >
    > errrr...a new low end computer costs about
    > $300...
    >

    > http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/compare.aspx/desktops?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

    Yes but that is a Dell...I'm still burnt on Intell
    chips after the first Celeron's kept cooking
    themselves. 8^) Anyway I'm not sure that a
    computer like that could render as well as the
    current Xbox. I don't know as I haven't checked
    out computers in a while. Well not for that kind
    of ability...
    --

    atarileaf wrote:

    > Backwards compatibility will not get people to buy a new console.

    It will for someone like me. Why? Because I know that the next Xbox
    will get modded, and when it does, all my old Xbox games will work with
    it (thanks to backwards compatibility), AND I'll get the added benefit
    of better emulation (due to the newer CPU, graphics card, etc) of things
    like MAME and Frodo. ;) I for one am looking forward to it.

    > If there are only two or three games at launch and there IS backwards
    > compatibility, how will that cause you to buy the new machine?

    Because the new machine will obviously have a faster CPU and graphics,
    which in turn will enhance all the older games that already exist.
    That is, the frames-per-second of the older games will be enhanced,
    if nothing else. Faster CPU = better gaming, ALWAYS.

    > Because the new machine will obviously have a faster CPU and graphics,
    > which in turn will enhance all the older games that already exist.
    > That is, the frames-per-second of the older games will be enhanced,
    > if nothing else. Faster CPU = better gaming, ALWAYS.

    Not in the console world. Backward compatibility is rare in consoles, but
    the ones that do it have NEVER offered better performance for the last-gen
    games. GBA doesn't run Game Boy games better, nor does the DS offer
    framerate improvement in GBA games. PS1 games on a PS2 still perform just
    as badly as they did on PS1. The PS2 does have the "fast load" and "smooth
    texture" options, but they usually do nothing, and sometimes cause crashes
    or graphical glitches.

    Even emulators rarely benefit from faster CPUs, above what's necessary to
    run them properly in the first place. They usually emulate slowdown, etc
    along with everything else, so performance gain does nothing.

    atarileaf wrote:

    > You can play your current library on your current machine and
    > wait until more new games come out on the new machine

    That's a silly argument. That's like saying, "Why upgrade your
    PC if your current PC runs all your current software?". :)
    Everyone with a brain knows that a faster machine will run the
    current old software in a more efficient and enjoyable way.

    Khee Mao wrote:
    > "Thoth" <thoth@notlisted.us> wrote in message
    >
    >>"Khee Mao" <big_bad_buddha_daddy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>"Jordan" <lundj@earthlink.net> wrote in message

    >>>dude. the xbox service record hasn't been exactly stellar. dvd drives
    >>>go bad. I'm already on xbox #2, others I know are on #3. then you
    >>>factor in your living space and people (like me) who don't want the
    >>>clutter of multiple systems, especially from the same manufacturer.
    >>
    >>That's a good point. I'm on number 3. I definitely don't have room to
    >>put up a bunch of consoles in my living room. I've got my old Nintendo
    >>consoles in bags in the closet.
    >>

    > at least the old Nintendos are all solid state game cartridges, they'll
    > probably last forever as they don't have moving parts...my brother still has
    > his Atari 2600 (?), which continues to work flawlessly.

    speaking of room, the best thing you could do is get a SNES, Sega,
    Genesis, Nintendo, and MAME emulator on that xbox which run those games
    perfectly if not much better cuz you can do so many extra things such as
    saving you game where ever you want :). I know I'll be holding on to the
    box for media playback alone.

    Khee Mao wrote:
    > "Fizzlestix" <fizzlestix@metallica.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>i have a decent sized collection of xbox games, and since the xbox is
    >>the only system i own, if backward compatibility is not an option for
    >>the next xbox, then i'll be content to play the games i have for many
    >>years to come.
    >>

    > if your dvd drive lasts "many years".

    I'm sure replacement DVD drives will still be around. Even if you
    couldnt't get an "xbox dvd drive" (which is next to impossible) you
    could use any regular old dvd drive.

    Khee Mao wrote:
    > "Doug Jacobs" <djacobs@shell.rawbw.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Stephen Edwards <tg416@cyclic.aux.net> wrote:
    >

    >>While there's still a chance that the Xbox360 could still be backwards
    >>compatible, I really wouldn't bank on it. Adding the hardware would make
    >>XBox360 very expensive, and the Xbox360's native hardware isn't nearly
    >>powerful enough to handle an Xbox emulated in software.
    >

    > I can't imagine 3, 3ghz powerpc chips not being up to the task of emulating
    > a 733mhz celeron...

    I can, if it's not done by MS. Crude emulation takes up ALOT of overhead!

    HockeyTownUSA wrote:
    >>... and more importantly, Xbox360 will lack a HDD.
    >

    > Who says? I thought there would be a couple versions, or an option to add a
    > mass storage device?

    yup, there is supposed to be 2 or 3 variants with some scaled (or full)
    version of MCE running on those higher end ones.

    Khee Mao wrote:
    > "Grinder" <grinder@no.spam.maam.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>Has anybody heard rumors about what the price points are going to be for
    >>the next gen machines?
    >

    > http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/8035/3-Million-Xbox-360s-by-December-at-249299/

    250 to 300, thats not bad at all....prolly 300 or a little bit more for
    the better "apped" variant.....chump change :)

    Keith Schiffner wrote:
    > "Khee Mao" <big_bad_buddha_daddy@yahoo.com> wrote
    > in message
    >
    >>"Keith Schiffner" <schistan@3rivers.net> wrote
    >>in message

    >>>Agreed...but I wont be surprised at a price
    >>>comparable to a low end new computer.
    >>>--
    >>
    >>errrr...a new low end computer costs about
    >>$300...
    >>

    >>http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/compare.aspx/desktops?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs
    >

    > Yes but that is a Dell...I'm still burnt on Intell
    > chips after the first Celeron's kept cooking
    > themselves. 8^) Anyway I'm not sure that a
    > computer like that could render as well as the
    > current Xbox. I don't know as I haven't checked
    > out computers in a while. Well not for that kind
    > of ability...

    u didn't say what "brand" of low end pc did you? :),

    Render as good as the xbox? I'm sure it wouldnt with shared onboard
    video memory, you'd be lucky if it played anything new.

    "theOne" <theOneOne@dodgeit.com> wrote in message
    > Keith Schiffner wrote:
    >> "Khee Mao" <big_bad_buddha_daddy@yahoo.com>
    >> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>"Keith Schiffner" <schistan@3rivers.net> wrote
    >>>in message

    >>>errrr...a new low end computer costs about
    >>>$300...
    >>>

    >>>http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/compare.aspx/desktops?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs
    >>

    >> Yes but that is a Dell...I'm still burnt on
    >> Intell chips after the first Celeron's kept
    >> cooking themselves. 8^) Anyway I'm not sure
    >> that a computer like that could render as well
    >> as the current Xbox. I don't know as I haven't
    >> checked out computers in a while. Well not for
    >> that kind of ability...
    >

    > u didn't say what "brand" of low end pc did you?
    > :),

    Touche`

    > Render as good as the xbox? I'm sure it wouldnt
    > with shared onboard video memory, you'd be lucky
    > if it played anything new.

    Perzacktly! There are some REALY nice video boards
    out there...but $400-$500+ bones for one just
    isn't for me. I'm so cheap I use BOTH side of the
    TP!
    --
    Keith Schiffner
    Assistant to the Assistant Undersecretary of the
    Ministry of Silly Walks.
    "terrorist organization" is a redundancy

    <snip>

    Backwards-compatibility is so yesterday. I would be infinitely more
    interested in forwards-compatibility.

    Leon Dexter wrote:

    > Even emulators rarely benefit from faster CPUs

    What? Have you even PLAYED an emulator? Yes I know that there are
    ways to limit the original game's speed to 100% but the extra CPU
    grunt means you no longer have to skip frames, or reduce the sound
    quality, etc. An emulated game on a 1 ghz PC feels totally different
    (smoother, plays better, sounds better) to one on a 3 ghz PC -- I've
    experienced it firsthand with many different emulators. Your comment
    makes me feel as though you're not a diehard emulating enthusiast?

    > > Even emulators rarely benefit from faster CPUs
    >
    > What? Have you even PLAYED an emulator? Yes I know that there are
    > ways to limit the original game's speed to 100% but the extra CPU
    > grunt means you no longer have to skip frames, or reduce the sound
    > quality, etc. An emulated game on a 1 ghz PC feels totally different
    > (smoother, plays better, sounds better) to one on a 3 ghz PC -- I've
    > experienced it firsthand with many different emulators. Your comment
    > makes me feel as though you're not a diehard emulating enthusiast?

    Thanks for deleting and ignoring the main part of my post. As for the rest,
    I said "above what's necessary to run them properly". Emulation of the
    older systems reached near-perfection years ago. If you're still missing
    frames and lowering the sound quality on 2600/NES/Genesis/SNES games, for
    example, something's wrong and it ain't your CPU speed.
    And no, I'm not a "diehard" emulating enthusiast. I don't have to be, I'm a
    real diehard gamer--I still own all the games I consider worth emulating,
    outside of MAME anyway. I have emulators for a lot of systems, but mostly
    as curiosities. If I want to play a game, I'll get it out and plug it in.
    And I'll go buy it if necessary--which it's probably not.

Console Gaming Games Compatibility Xbox Video Games