Sign in with
Your question
Closed

GPU under $140 but according to my specifications

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 22, 2012 10:08:52 AM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Right NOW BUDGET RANGE: USD $140 or INR Rs.8000 After Rebates

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming [Street Fighter 4, Batman: Arkham City, Prototype 2, Dead Space 2 all at full settings], watching 1080p movies)

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: Intel On board Graphics Media Accelerator Hytec 450W PSU (will upgrade to 600W)

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: Genuine Intel DG31 PR, Intel Core2Duo 2.66Ghz, 2Gb DDR2 RAM, 250Gb HDD, Windows 7 Ultimate, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy Live, NO COOLING SETUP

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Any website delivering in INDIA such as FLIPKART.COM, EBAY.IN COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: INDIA

PARTS PREFERENCES: No Preference. Just need a high end GPU within budget.

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe but No Cooling Setup available

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1440x900

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Games should run at good fps & almost run at full settings. I need a reliable GPU as i won't change my GPU after i buy this one.

I am coming to U.S this March, so i want to ask whether i should buy it from U.S if it's cheaper there? Will it work alright when i use it back in INDIA?

I dont want to overspend so just want a card that is good enough for my screen resolution, but the games should run good.

More about : gpu 140 specifications

January 22, 2012 10:58:47 AM

Yo bro , I'm from India too .
1) You could get your hands on a HD6770 for that kinda money . If you are willing to spend a little more , say, maybe 10000INR you could very well get a HD6850. Its a good card and is on par with Nvidia GTX460 1GB card .

2) I've heard guys saying that Motherboards such as yours ( Intel DG31PR) that sport a PCIe1.x generation slot might be a problem in terms of compatibility of AMD cards that come as a PCIe 2.1 card . Most of the web sites say that that PCIe slots are forward and backward compatible . But there are quite a few cases in which numerous reseating of graphic cards and BIOS updates for mother boards seemed to fix the problem oriented with the compatibilty issues

3)On the Nvidia team you could get a GTX460 for 10500INR . I got an OCed version of this for 12000INR fearing about the compatibilty issues of AMD cards . ( My mobo is a DG35EC)

4)PSU : Brand comes before the wattage . I would suggest something like an Antec , Corsair or Coolermaster PSU. Any PSU above 400W from these brands should do the trick . I remember TOM's using an Antec380 earthwatts PSU to power their $500 build

5)Most of the games are going to be CPU limited with the Dual core of yours at that resolution . Do bear that in mind . My Core2Quad couldn't even manage above 40fps in F1 2010 which i found to be very much limited by my Quad @ 2.33GHz.

GL

Regards
scapegoat_44
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 22, 2012 11:01:35 AM

Under 140$? You can get the AMD Radeon HD 6770, at your resolution, you should be able to play those games in somewhat high settings. For the nVidia Side, you can choose the GeForce GTX 550 Ti. And yes, I think in the U.S. it is cheaper since the prices on EBAY.IN are somewhat higher than the initial retail price...

See yourself : http://www.ebay.in/sch/i.html?_trkparms=65%253A1%257C66...

The HD 6770 costs around 105$ in canada. But it is 161$ on EBAY.IN

Hope it helps! :) 
Score
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
January 22, 2012 1:00:31 PM

Here it is the Asus Direct Cu Hd 6850 for just 140 $ after rebate.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004IMF1IM?SubscriptionId=&tag...

I oredered it to cuz its good price and nice custom cooler. Its almost = with gtx 460 so it is the best card for ur budget cuz gtx 460 is a bit expensive right now !
Score
a c 84 U Graphics card
January 22, 2012 1:08:50 PM

hello kaoo7,

i m also from india the hd 6850 will be the perfect choice u can get it under rs 7000 go to the hardware shop near you and get one dont buy from online shop in online shop there is all wrong prices about gpu because most of the indians are getting there computer hardwares from an hardware shop even i dont buy from online shop it will cost u 15% more seriously.:) 
Score
January 23, 2012 5:52:59 PM

scapegoat_44 said:
Yo bro , I'm from India too .
1) You could get your hands on a HD6770 for that kinda money . If you are willing to spend a little more , say, maybe 10000INR you could very well get a HD6850. Its a good card and is on par with Nvidia GTX460 1GB card .

2) I've heard guys saying that Motherboards such as yours ( Intel DG31PR) that sport a PCIe1.x generation slot might be a problem in terms of compatibility of AMD cards that come as a PCIe 2.1 card . Most of the web sites say that that PCIe slots are forward and backward compatible . But there are quite a few cases in which numerous reseating of graphic cards and BIOS updates for mother boards seemed to fix the problem oriented with the compatibilty issues

3)On the Nvidia team you could get a GTX460 for 10500INR . I got an OCed version of this for 12000INR fearing about the compatibilty issues of AMD cards . ( My mobo is a DG35EC)

4)PSU : Brand comes before the wattage . I would suggest something like an Antec , Corsair or Coolermaster PSU. Any PSU above 400W from these brands should do the trick . I remember TOM's using an Antec380 earthwatts PSU to power their $500 build

5)Most of the games are going to be CPU limited with the Dual core of yours at that resolution . Do bear that in mind . My Core2Quad couldn't even manage above 40fps in F1 2010 which i found to be very much limited by my Quad @ 2.33GHz.

GL

Regards
scapegoat_44

Hey man thanks for the detailed explanation. But you got me scared there.

I've done savings of this amount just to buy a good GPU & can't risk it for an incompatibility issue you wrote about in point 2. Is nvidia compatible with my PCI 2.1?

I found that the branded PSUs were too expensive, is it really worth it. I have had no problems with my HYTEC PSU last 4 years.

Lastly & the most scary one is the Point 5. Will my processor still limit my GPU capabilities even if its a high end GPU?

What's the use of spending that much on GPU if my processor doesn't support it fully. Like i said I DON'T WANT TO OVERSPEND. Please guide me again.
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 23, 2012 10:36:10 PM

Branded PSU's tend to be more reliable and deliver most consistent power. Check the "Who's Who in Power Supplies" on this site (google it) and look at the OEM of any PSU you want to buy. Seasonic is one of the best, they make most of Antec's supplies, and Antec is reasonable. I just got an Antec NEO Eco for $50 from Newegg (not applicable for non-US people though).

Core 2 Duo will bottleneck CPU intensive games but I'm not sure about any of your games, I don't have any of them for PC. IF you go with a really high end GPU then you will definitely be bottlenecked. 2GB of RAM is what I'm looking at. That's kinda low for gaming these days, 4GB+ is much more preferable.
Score

Best solution

January 24, 2012 1:45:21 PM

ka007 said:
Hey man thanks for the detailed explanation. But you got me scared there.

I've done savings of this amount just to buy a good GPU & can't risk it for an incompatibility issue you wrote about in point 2. Is nvidia compatible with my PCI 2.1?

I found that the branded PSUs were too expensive, is it really worth it. I have had no problems with my HYTEC PSU last 4 years.

Lastly & the most scary one is the Point 5. Will my processor still limit my GPU capabilities even if its a high end GPU?

What's the use of spending that much on GPU if my processor doesn't support it fully. Like i said I DON'T WANT TO OVERSPEND. Please guide me again.

Let me put it simple. (In terms of horsepower HD6870 > HD6850 = GTX460 > HD6790 > HD6770 = HD 5770

1)IMO you should go ahead and buy the HD6850 , provided you make a deal with your local retailer that you return the video card in case it doesn't work . My friend has one and it does a good job.

2)Your second option should be the GTX460 1GB . They are PCIe 2.0 cards and they don't have any compatibility issues with a PCIe1.x slot . Infact I have this video card on a PCIe1.x slot(Intel DG35EC) and it works like a charm.
It stays relatively cool ( idles @ 28-30'C and never goes above 62'C)( an ASUS GTX 460 TOP - Factory OCed)
The downside to the GTX460 - its a bit pricey in India- the only reason i recommend a HD6850 over the GTX460 :(  You could have one for 10500 - 11000 INR

3)Dont consider buying a HD6790 . IMO it is a #bin card# . ie they have the PCB of a HD6870 yet they are stripped down versions of the HD6870 with certain parts disabled , maybe due to the failure of the chip in various tests :non: 

4) If you want to stick to your budget i would recommend a HD6770.. STRICTLY !!

5)The dual core : Even if you are gonna invest in a beast of a video card your machine would suffer from a CPU bottleneck -which equals -drops in frames . The only way to get rid of this in your setup is to overclock . But with the intel board of yours overclocking is very much out of the equation . Nothing we could do about that :(  Not all the games are CPU intensive ; you will be able to play most of the games . Just do some research before buying the desired game

6) Brands of GPU - My preferred brands - ASUS and MSI ( they have the best coolers in the business )
On the AMD front you could try Sapphire too ... I advice you to strictly adhere to the above brands

7) PSU : Like VetteDude said the branded PSU s tend to be more reliable . If budget is a concern you could get an iBall sprinter 600 watts PSU . It is powering my cuz's rig with a HD5850 .

Good Luck bro

January 25, 2012 1:11:34 PM

Thanks Scapegoat_44 & everyone once again.

One last thing. My friend suggested me to go with a system upgrade instead of a new GPU.

The configurations he suggested were:

Intel Core i3 3.1Ghz 2100 processor + Intel MOBO (i dont remember which one) costing USD $200 or INR Rs.10500

4Gb DDR3 RAM costing USD $25 or INR Rs.1200.

TOTAL = $225 or Rs. 11700 I can somehow manage this configuration.

He told me that the inbuilt graphics would be enough for the games i mentioned in the first post (like Batman Arkham City ..etc)

Is it really a good suggestion? Coz my ultimate need is to play these games at fast speed (good fps) without lowering my resolution & i can only buy either a new GPU or this configuration

Please bear with me one last time. I'm kinda new to the details of such stuff.

Score
January 25, 2012 4:32:10 PM

no the onboard graphics would definitely not be enough for the games you want to play.
Score
a c 92 U Graphics card
January 25, 2012 4:36:59 PM

ka007 said:
Thanks Scapegoat_44 & everyone once again.

One last thing. My friend suggested me to go with a system upgrade instead of a new GPU.

The configurations he suggested were:

Intel Core i3 3.1Ghz 2100 processor + Intel MOBO (i dont remember which one) costing USD $200 or INR Rs.10500

4Gb DDR3 RAM costing USD $25 or INR Rs.1200.

TOTAL = $225 or Rs. 11700 I can somehow manage this configuration.

He told me that the inbuilt graphics would be enough for the games i mentioned in the first post (like Batman Arkham City ..etc)

Is it really a good suggestion? Coz my ultimate need is to play these games at fast speed (good fps) without lowering my resolution & i can only buy either a new GPU or this configuration

Please bear with me one last time. I'm kinda new to the details of such stuff.

don't buy this unless you have more money for the gpu, the onboard gpu is a piece of crap in gaming. buy a 6770 or 5770 or 6850 depending on how much you can afford.
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 25, 2012 9:02:29 PM

Keep the Core 2 Duo and get a good GPU. Using onboard graphics will cripple the whole investment in the i3+new Mobo. Plus why get the 2100 when you can get the 2120 with an extra .2GHz for just $5 more?
Score
January 27, 2012 3:07:09 PM

Everyone thanks a lot :bounce: 

I am getting either HD 6850 (without new PSU) or 6770 (with new PSU) whichever fits my budget. Also a 2Gb extra DDR2 RAM.

One final thing. Do i need a new PSU of higher power if my final configuration becomes like the following????? Current PSU is HYTEC 450Watt.

FINAL CONFIG:

Motherboard: INTEL DG 31PR Mobo

Processor: Core2Duo 2.66 Ghz Processor

Memory: 2Gb + 2Gb RAM (Separate sticks)

HDD: 250 Gb Internal HDD (5400 RPM) + 640Gb External HDD

GPU: ATI RADEON HD 6850 (First Preference) or 6770(Second Preference)

Sound Card: Creative Soundblaster Audigy Value

Other Components: Keyboard, Mouse, Gamepad, Webcam

Do the new RAM i purchase should be identical to the current one???

Score
a b U Graphics card
January 27, 2012 3:18:20 PM

Well how many free PCI-E connectors are on your PSU?
Score
January 27, 2012 3:23:19 PM

Vettedude said:
Well how many free PCI-E connectors are on your PSU?

2 slots
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 27, 2012 3:33:41 PM

No I mean how many PCI-E 6 pin or 6+2 pin connectors are on your Power Supply
Score
January 27, 2012 3:48:43 PM

Vettedude said:
No I mean how many PCI-E 6 pin or 6+2 pin connectors are on your Power Supply

Well actually i dont have any idea of what you are saying :(  but i checked my PSU & it had 4 groups of wires coming from it.

This is the link to my PSU brand

http://hytechindia.com/productdetail.php?product_id=143...
Score
a c 92 U Graphics card
January 27, 2012 3:51:35 PM

you need a new psu. also don't buy the 2gb cards, they will not help at all.
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 27, 2012 3:52:20 PM

PCI-E power connectors look like this:

http://www.servercase.com/two+6pin-big.gif

Thats a 6-pin that can become a 6+2 connector. 6 pins can provide an extra 75w to the GPU, 6+2 can provide 150w extra. If your PSU doesn't have any, then I wouldn't suggest running a 6850. A 6770 could run with a Molex-to-PCIe converter, but those are not ideal configurations. New PSU is your best option.
Score
January 27, 2012 4:08:52 PM

Vettedude said:
PCI-E power connectors look like this:

http://www.servercase.com/two+6pin-big.gif

Thats a 6-pin that can become a 6+2 connector. 6 pins can provide an extra 75w to the GPU, 6+2 can provide 150w extra. If your PSU doesn't have any, then I wouldn't suggest running a 6850. A 6770 could run with a Molex-to-PCIe converter, but those are not ideal configurations. New PSU is your best option.

Thanks for the details man. But i checked & there aint any such connector in my PSU.

So i will now go for a new PSU then.

Also i have Dynet 2Gb DDR2 Ram. So do i need the identical one or i can take some other brand?
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 27, 2012 4:10:29 PM

Most brands play nice with each other, just if you are going dual-channel, ones in the same channel should be same brand and size.
Score
January 27, 2012 4:23:02 PM

Vettedude said:
Most brands play nice with each other, just if you are going dual-channel, ones in the same channel should be same brand and size.

Ok one more thing what power PSU should i be looking for?
Score
a c 84 U Graphics card
January 28, 2012 4:48:06 AM

you should go with a better quality brand like corsair,seasonic for an new psu for lower or mid range budget get an seasonic Seasonic S12 II 620W psu its an good quality psu with 1x6 pin pcie connector and with 1x6+2 pin pcie connector or a good psu of 550w atleast.:) 

http://www.seasonicusa.com/S12II-Bronze.htm

Score
January 28, 2012 6:04:22 AM

Thanks a million everyone :bounce: 

I just wanna say :

GOD MADE TOMSHARDWARE
Score
January 28, 2012 6:05:03 AM

Best answer selected by ka007.
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
January 28, 2012 8:49:36 AM