jccopp1

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
I noticed that I am not getting Dolby Digital surround on some of my games. Yet, I do get Dolby Digital surround in windows media player etc.

Upon further investigation, it appears that the Windows Sound Properties dialog Playback devices->RealTek Digital Output->Properties->Advanced->Default shows Dolby Digital Live (5.1 surround). This is correct. However, when I run the same dialog in a 32 bit space, Dolby Digital Live no longer shows as an option.

Example,
1) Open command prompt
2) On prompt run,
Rundll32 Shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL Mmsys.cpl,,0
This will open the Sound Properties, click properties as described above and note that Dolby Digital Live appears as an option.
3) Now cd to \Windows\SysWOW64
4) Re-run command from 2. This will run the cpl in 32 bit space. This can be verified in process manager with the*32 denoted on rundll32.
5) Click Properties... and note that Dolby Digital Live no longer appears as an option.

My theory is that 32 bit applications will not be able to access Dolby Digital Live and thus not output 5.1 (2 speakers still work).

I am thinking this is a driver installation issue, but have the latest drivers from Realtek( 6/11/2012 ). Something might be missing from the Wow6432Node.

Any ideas?

jccopp1

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
I tried that and same problem. I did fix this by installing another sound card also capable of Dolby Digital Live and everything works as it should.

I think there is something missing in the Realtek driver install for the 32 bit registry section under Win 64 for MediaSettings, but don't have time to track it down. A new card/driver saved me the headache.