Solved

New Computer for SWTOR! Need help.

Hey guys and thanks for reading and hopefully helping. My wife just gave me permission to dump this computer i got in 2002 and build a new one, for those of you who are not married, this is what you call generosity. :)

Im looking to build a computer that can run SWTOR on the highest settings, and thus forth running just about anything since thats the most demanding mmo that ive seen so far.

My budget is $1200, but im open to anyones builds that is above or below, im looking to go from the ground up, everything except a mouse and keyboard. I did alot of wishlist building in new egg, and the more forums i read the more i got concerned, this and that about system stability, so i figured i would ask out in this forum to see what i can get. ( To be super honest, im most worried about buying a case and then finding out that it wasnt big enough for the things i got and and overclocking, i know nothing about that.)

If i can run SWTOR on the highest settings im sure my comp will be able to do any menial tasks, so if anyone has any current builds they are using that can support or know what i can get to get the results i want please post them. Again thank you, this will save me alot of stress.
37 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about computer swtor help
  1. I'll whip up a good 1200 for you real quick. Do you care especially about noise, or temperature, or the like?

    EDIT: Any other games that you will be playing? Any other games you are considering?
  2. Best answer
    Well, you're wise to worry about the case. I originally got a 60 dollar case, it looked great on the website, but when I got it, it didnt take me long to decide to get rid of it and buy the 130 dollar case I should have bought to begin with.

    I'll tell you 1200 is a pretty good budget to work with so you have no worries.


    I'll show you the case I have, I can tell you, its friggin huge

    Case (available in lots of colors)- $130
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146067

    CPU- $220- i5 2500k this is the best CPU for gaming on the market today.

    Motherboard-$121- There are better ones, more expensive ones and cheap ones.. But for guidelines that I would advise, LGA 1155, and Z68 Chipset.. I would recommend MSI, Asus, or Asrock.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157271

    RAM- 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance- $100
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233143

    Video Card- 560TI- $260
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130657

    Power Supply Corsair TX750 $105
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139021

    Notes:
    This system will destroy any game on the market today, SWTOR won't even make it break a sweat. If the video card is too much for your budget, you don't really need a 560, a 550TI is 100 cheaper and won't have any trouble with most games.

    Monitor I will leave to your choosing, I honestly don't see the advantage of buying 300 and 400 dollar monitors, but with this build you're sitting at less than 1000, so up to you.

    I didn't include a hard drive in the build, again your call, and it depends on what kind of storage expectations you have. Seagate and Western Digital are both equally good in my eyes.

    Don't go cheap on the power supply, if you don't like my suggestion, I do advise buying one that is 80+ certified and a minimum of 550 watts.
  3. Hey guys thanks for replying, the temperature i am, the noise not to much, the only reason is because i play it currently on my laptop and it feels like the vent is litteraly on fire an hour or two into it. I dont want to fry something just because i didnt want that liquid cooling or extra vent.
  4. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/6cMf

    There's my recommendation. That was assuming you don't need a keyboard/mouse/monitor etc. If you do, there are some things that could be brought down in price. In addition, the case I recommended was for airflow reasons. The case is often just a preference of look. Here's a good list for you to look through:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007583%20600006302%20600029808&IsNodeId=1&name=No

    If you post your choice here you will get a thumbs up/down from the community. Have fun :)
  5. I have the PSU I recommended, and the memory. They are awesome :).
  6. nekulturny said:
    Well, you're wise to worry about the case. I originally got a 60 dollar case, it looked great on the website, but when I got it, it didnt take me long to decide to get rid of it and buy the 130 dollar case I should have bought to begin with.

    I'll tell you 1200 is a pretty good budget to work with so you have no worries.


    I'll show you the case I have, I can tell you, its friggin huge

    Case (available in lots of colors)- $130
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146067

    CPU- $220- i5 2500k this is the best CPU for gaming on the market today.

    Motherboard-$121- There are better ones, more expensive ones and cheap ones.. But for guidelines that I would advise, LGA 1155, and Z68 Chipset.. I would recommend MSI, Asus, or Asrock.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157271

    RAM- 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance- $100
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233143

    Video Card- 560TI- $260
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130657

    Power Supply Corsair TX750 $105
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139021

    Notes:
    This system will destroy any game on the market today, SWTOR won't even make it break a sweat. If the video card is too much for your budget, you don't really need a 560, a 550TI is 100 cheaper and won't have any trouble with most games.

    Monitor I will leave to your choosing, I honestly don't see the advantage of buying 300 and 400 dollar monitors, but with this build you're sitting at less than 1000, so up to you.

    I didn't include a hard drive in the build, again your call, and it depends on what kind of storage expectations you have. Seagate and Western Digital are both equally good in my eyes.

    Don't go cheap on the power supply, if you don't like my suggestion, I do advise buying one that is 80+ certified and a minimum of 550 watts.


    Thanks for the build, the monitor i was looking at was only little over 100, so no worries there, I heard the asrock was one to stay away from because it was "the new kid on the block" do you disagree with it? And thanks for the info on the battery supply, i didnt know that. I heard its very important.
  7. ASRock broke off from Asus, I believe. They build quality boards. I gave you quite a bit of power on the GPU, and an SSD, but didn't leave room for a monitor. You seem to like nekulturny's build, so I'll let you decide.
  8. Bones2525 said:
    I have the PSU I recommended, and the memory. They are awesome :).


    You list looks amazing, still same question as above about the asrock, i heard its very new and something to avoid for now, how would you rate it? And as far as the CPU cooling is that something thats needed? im going to compare both and see where it stands, im pretty sure my wife will budge on $50 since shes already giving me 1200, thank you very much for the build.
  9. Bones2525 said:
    ASRock broke off from Asus, I believe. They build quality boards. I gave you quite a bit of power on the GPU, and an SSD, but didn't leave room for a monitor. You seem to like nekulturny's build, so I'll let you decide.


    Thanks for letting me know, the monitor is no worries, i have one already and looking for a better one, but i prefer i solid comp over a new monitor any day. My biggest concern was just the stability of it once its finished, yours is just as amazing and very close to the budget, i really appriciate you guys taking time to do this, when i get it build ill finish this thread with the comp i went with and how well it runs, again thank you.
  10. giffintg said:
    Thanks for the build, the monitor i was looking at was only little over 100, so no worries there, I heard the asrock was one to stay away from because it was "the new kid on the block" do you disagree with it? And thanks for the info on the battery supply, i didnt know that. I heard its very important.



    Bones is right what he said about Asrock. They used to be a subsidiary company of Asus. I had heard what you had about Asrock, however a lot of the guys around here seem to really like the new Asrock's. The only brands I can say I would stay away from are Biostar and Gigabyte. Biostar is very cheap, and Gigabyte, well.. I had a board die on me and I had a dismal experience with their tech support. So thats where I'm coming from.

    The reason you don't buy cheapo power supplies is because a cheap power supply is more likely to fail, and its not unheard of for a crummy power supply to die and take your motherboard and CPU with it. Its just the concept of you get what you pay for.
  11. By the way, the cheap case I mentioned I originally had was a Sentey Halcon Black. It looks really sleek on Newegg's website, however the hands on feel was where it disappointed me.

    The panels were flimsy, the power button didn't work right out of the box, I had to wire my motherboard up to the reset button. The plastic paneling was cheap feeling and pulling it out to install the CD-Rom drive felt like it would break (and probably would if I did it 2 or 3 times).

    The space for wire management was horrid, ended up having to pull out 2 of my 4 hard drive trays in order to make room for the xtra wires I wasn't using from my PSU.

    The final straw was when I went to install my Coolermaster CPU fan, I couldn't close the stupid case because the big fan on the side panel was in the way. In short, I wouldn't buy a Sentey case.
  12. nekulturny said:
    By the way, the cheap case I mentioned I originally had was a Sentey Halcon Black. It looks really sleek on Newegg's website, however the hands on feel was where it disappointed me.

    The panels were flimsy, the power button didn't work right out of the box, I had to wire my motherboard up to the reset button. The plastic paneling was cheap feeling and pulling it out to install the CD-Rom drive felt like it would break (and probably would if I did it 2 or 3 times).

    The space for wire management was horrid, ended up having to pull out 2 of my 4 hard drive trays in order to make room for the xtra wires I wasn't using from my PSU.

    The final straw was when I went to install my Coolermaster CPU fan, I couldn't close the stupid case because the big fan on the side panel was in the way. In short, I wouldn't buy a Sentey case.


    Haha thank you for comfirming my fears, im comparing both of your builds and seeing which one will preform the best for the price and the add ons(monitors and what not) I cant thank both of you guys enough for helping, and as i said before i will let you guys know which build im going with and how it turned out.
  13. Any issues with compatibility or other concerns can just be slapped back here on this board, hope everything goes well :)
  14. nekulturny said:
    By the way, the cheap case I mentioned I originally had was a Sentey Halcon Black. It looks really sleek on Newegg's website, however the hands on feel was where it disappointed me.

    The panels were flimsy, the power button didn't work right out of the box, I had to wire my motherboard up to the reset button. The plastic paneling was cheap feeling and pulling it out to install the CD-Rom drive felt like it would break (and probably would if I did it 2 or 3 times).

    The space for wire management was horrid, ended up having to pull out 2 of my 4 hard drive trays in order to make room for the xtra wires I wasn't using from my PSU.

    The final straw was when I went to install my Coolermaster CPU fan, I couldn't close the stupid case because the big fan on the side panel was in the way. In short, I wouldn't buy a Sentey case.


    Is a sound card required? And also to complete the system i got this hard drive;
    Samsung by Seagate Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ/ST500DM005 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

    And windows 7 to complete.

    Is that all that i need to have a fully functional computer?
  15. Bones2525 said:
    Any issues with compatibility or other concerns can just be slapped back here on this board, hope everything goes well :)


    Is a CPU cooler recommended for online gaming or over clocking?
  16. http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=26614548

    Just built that for my brother. You would have to tweak it a bit, since you don't need 2x monitors, keyboard or mouse. You would have to add a case and possibly OS. I skipped the 2500k because I knew I was not going to bother with overclocking. The eVGA card they recommended is better if your resolution is gonna 1920x1080 be or under. Trade off the 1GB ram for the OC on the card.

    Good luck with whatever you decide.
  17. giffintg said:
    Is a sound card required? And also to complete the system i got this hard drive;
    Samsung by Seagate Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ/ST500DM005 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

    And windows 7 to complete.

    Is that all that i need to have a fully functional computer?



    Sound card is integrated with most motherboards nowadays, including the ones everyone has recommended.

    And yes, Windows7 hard drive, and.. optional optical drive.. 20 bucks will get you a DVD-RW drive these days. I rarely use mine, (I installed windows from USB drive) I don't know why I even bothered. Thats all you need for a fully functional computer.

    Good luck, and you're welcome.

    As for overclocking, yea, you probably do want to get a better fan, but I'm not too familiar with Intel chips in terms of what you can do with the stock fan. So I wont say what you need to OC.
  18. Stock fan sucks. The Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo is a great cooler to get started.
  19. Bones2525 said:
    Stock fan sucks. The Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo is a great cooler to get started.


    Yea, thats what I figured. The stock one on my Phenom was barely good enough for stock speeds. Kinda silly to use an unlocked CPU as a selling point and give you a chinsy cooler. Nice to know Intel isnt any better than AMD in that department.
  20. Lol, I harbor nothing against AMD, but their last good thing was their Phenoms, specifically their high-end Phenom II X4 and X6. No offence to anyone, but I hate FX. Performs pretty bad compared Intel CPUs with way less in terms of the paper spec department. Can't wait for Ivy Bridge and to see what Piledriver will bring to the table :)
  21. Bones2525 said:
    Lol, I harbor nothing against AMD, but their last good thing was their Phenoms, specifically their high-end Phenom II X4 and X6. No offence to anyone, but I hate FX. Performs pretty bad compared Intel CPUs with way less in terms of the paper spec department. Can't wait for Ivy Bridge and to see what Piledriver will bring to the table :)



    On the other hand, I've heard you can hit 5.0GHZ on the stock fan with an FX-4100.. No that doesn't really make up for their shortcomings. To an extent I agree on the FX line, I don't think its quite as *horrible* as a lot of people make them out to be. AMD claims the problem with them is software related as to how Windows uses the cores.. They probably are right, at least how I understand the problem. Supposedly they perform much better on Linux OS. The thing AMD has to face is, Windows (btw, I hate microsoft) is the standard, their products need to be made to accommodate Windows, not the other way around.

    I still will buy AMD for my own computers regardless, if not a Phenom, I would have bought an FX. I have my reasons for preferring AMD. Its just a quirk of mine.
  22. I am happy too see the SSD drives being recommended here. The Old Republic has some slow load times(but once loaded actually works rather well).

    That will help allot(as soon as the server gives you a go[the first part of the bar is waiting on the server] that bar will move much faster).
  23. nukemaster said:
    I am happy too see the SSD drives being recommended here. The Old Republic has some slow load times(but once loaded actually works rather well).

    That will help allot(as soon as the server gives you a go[the first part of the bar is waiting on the server] that bar will move much faster).



    Yea, I didn't put one in my build recommendation. I'm not quite ready to make the jump to an SSD, I'd like to see em go down in price before I go for one. I guess I should have mentioned it, but everyone else has me covered. lol
  24. I hear you on the price. I can not live within the affordable 64-128gig. Even the 240 gigs are not that great for my use(but could squeeze in with some control. desktop/docs/videos/everything on HDD). I just have Intel SRT and a cheap 64 gig SSD and now a M4 for some games.

    I just noticed that the game loads fairly slow and I had a M4(Sale :) ) to toss the game on, the difference was very noticeable.

    I wish all games loaded as fast as Just Cause 2 :). They must have stream lines that game lots(it all loads in real time as you play too).
  25. Yea, I'll buy one eventually. Although, it would be purely a luxury item. I'm not really a heavy gamer, the only game I spend any real amount of time playing is Runescape. Its a 1 core java based MMORPG game. This computer is overkill for it.

    My significant other is the gamer,, hes into the WoW, Skyrim and good lord I still haven't heard the end of his raging about the ending of Mass Effect 3.
  26. nekulturny said:
    Yea, I'll buy one eventually. Although, it would be purely a luxury item. I'm not really a heavy gamer, the only game I spend any real amount of time playing is Runescape. Its a 1 core java based MMORPG game. This computer is overkill for it.

    My significant other is the gamer,, hes into the WoW, Skyrim and good lord I still haven't heard the end of his raging about the ending of Mass Effect 3.


    Last question, you didnt add any fans or liquid cooling into the build, are they not needed?
  27. giffintg said:
    Last question, you didnt add any fans or liquid cooling into the build, are they not needed?



    Most decent cases come with case fans. The NZXT Phantom has several, however it does have room for more then what it comes with. Newegg, TigerDirect and youtube have "unboxing videos" of most of the cases you will come across if you want to see a closer look of one you're interested in before you buy.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6CHXk2785Y here is a video of an NZXT Phantom, btw, I know that kid looks like hes not old enough to drive, but he actually knows his stuff and has a lot of good vids. I have the Black and green trim (there were more color schemes added after the video was made)

    Liquid cooling, some people like it, I personally think its unnecessary unless you're planning on doing some serious overclocking. The 2500k CPU comes with a CPU heatsink/fan combo, however I defer to Bones' knowledge on its performance for overclocking, he says its not very good, if you do in fact want to overclock.

    I have this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103057&Tpk=hyper%20n520 It works pretty well, and its quiet as a mouse.


    Bones' recommended this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065

    I cant say for certain which is better, I would *assume* that the Hyper N520 I have is better, for the simple fact that its a Push/Pull type design (2 fans- 1 pushes air into the heatsink, and the one on the other side pulls it out and sends it out the back of the case) whereas the 212 is just a single fan design.

    Its not really a very accurate reference since we have different CPUs, but I have a fairly modest overclock on my CPU, from what I understand 4.2GHZ is about all the reasonable person is going to get out of a Phenom II, I probably could hit it with my cooler without problem, but Phenom IIs have a lower max temp than a 2500k so you should definitely be able to go over 4.2 without issue with a Hyper N520.


    One other thing I should let you know about, Intel has recently started offering Overclocking insurance. Overclocking normally voids the warranty on a processor if you fry it.

    http://click.intel.com/tuningplan/

    For 20 bucks you can in theory fry as many 2500k CPUs as you want and have it covered. Although overclocking is not nearly as risky these days as it once was, CPUs are better made and more forgiving, so I don't want to scare you away from overclocking.
  28. Lol, Linus is a kid... He's married and in his late 20's I believe. Get's all his stuff because he works for NCIX. I don't think the FX's are really 'horrible' but they definitely don't perform where people were expecting them. An i3 2120 competes with the 8150 for strictly gaming purposes :I
  29. Bones2525 said:
    Lol, Linus is a kid... He's married and in his late 20's I believe. Get's all his stuff because he works for NCIX. I don't think the FX's are really 'horrible' but they definitely don't perform where people were expecting them. An i3 2120 competes with the 8150 for strictly gaming purposes :I



    Yea I remember seeing something about Linus being married. Really I thought he was gay. My gaydar must be seriously out of tune. I guess it stopped working since I've been in a relationship for 3 years.

    The whole thing with FX is a topic thats been beat to death, so I don't want to go too much into it again. But really I think the only reason the i3 can compare with the FX-8150 for gaming is because most games are still only using 2 cores. A dual core isn't going to compete with a quad core (I'll say quad since Bulldozer 8 cores are quad cores pretending to be 8 cores). If games start to be coded to use more cores, a dual core is going to be left in the dust. Also, games on online multiplayer mode use the CPU more than single player, even as the Bulldozers are games in this situation have a distinct advantage over dual core i3.
  30. His voice is so high, he sounded so young when he was talking the Nvidia head. When he had to yell over the crowd it almost hurt my ears :3
  31. Bones2525 said:
    His voice is so high, he sounded so young when he was talking the Nvidia head. When he had to yell over the crowd it almost hurt my ears :3



    Lol, I edited my post while you came back. more talk on the beaten to death Bulldozer debate. I haven't seen that video, but some of his older videos he looks really young. But then again with computer guys.. age really doesn't say much, some of these 14 years old know more than educated adults.

    I can't really knock Linus for his voice, I get called ma'am on the phone a lot, but my significant other, hes a short, nerdy white guy with a deep black-man voice. :lol:
  32. Well here's one for you, I'm 14. But the thing is, the 2500k is still cheaper than the 8150. The 2500k also tries to be eight-cores, but is really four, and only claims four. That's another reason I dislike it, is it isn't eight-core AT ALL. It's frustrating, as I thought they were finally gonna have a winner. I agree with you, though. I think the gaming industry needs to head the way that BF3 is paving. It can make use of more than two cores, but doesn't get a massive benefit from it. I really wish it would though, this is my first dual-core machine in around four years :D. Then again, that was when I first put together a machine... First dual core then.
  33. I like nekulturny's Build. Cases are always a preference. I would STRONGLY recommend a Corsair 650D. It's quality is unmatched by anything out there.

    The memory is great, but so is G.skill. The Graphics card is prolly best bang for the buck, but theres definitly better on the market. The MoBo is the best bang for the Buck. The PSU is a Great value, you could always buy a cheaper one, but I wouldn't...
  34. The 650d is so damn expensive. Otherwise it would be my immediate choice and recommendation. The 400r is good value, good airflow, and at 100. Great quality parts too.
  35. Bones2525 said:
    The 650d is so damn expensive. Otherwise it would be my immediate choice and recommendation. The 400r is good value, good airflow, and at 100. Great quality parts too.



    Yea, but the advantage is if you invest in a good case you can use it again and again. That case is pretty decent, although, a little too plain for my liking. Although some people like the "clean" look. I know some of these cases are just a little too expensive even for the sake of longevity, its overkill. Seen those Lian-Li cases that are like 300 to 500 dollars? you gotta be kidding me.

    http://www.xoxide.com/lian-li-pc-343b-case.html

    Seriously? is that a computer case or one of those "tanks" that hospitals use to cart around meals for the patients?

    18 5.25 bays?... Great!!! I've always wanted 18 DVD players. And you'd think as big as they made the stupid thing they could give you more than 2 front USB ports.
  36. Hey guys i just got all the parts and everything put together and i cant be happier. I went with Nekulturny's build and it runs everything flawlessly, after shipping and handling i was at $1480, thanks again for the help!!!
  37. Best answer selected by giffintg.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Computer Systems Product