Sign in with
Your question

PSU is Not Working (Cabling Issue)

Last response: in Components
July 12, 2012 2:36:51 AM

Hello!

I'm in the process of building my first gaming pc, but I'm having some issues at this point which I think have to do with the power supply. I've connected it to everything (to the best of my knowledge) but when I plug it into the wall and turn it on, no whirrs or fan noises are made. On the motherboard, though, a green light turns on. This leads me to think that the problem is with my setup of the PSU.

It's mounted to the case, connected to the motherboard by two cords covered in netting, and connected to the graphics card by two PCI-E cables. I tried to connect it to the SSD and HDD but the molex cords don't seem to fit into them very well, and I think I remember reading that they only need the data cord to the motherboard and not the molex cord to function.

My PSU is a Corsair HX750W with modular cabling. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance :) 
July 12, 2012 2:44:59 AM

Even if your power supply isn't defective the hdd needs power from the psu. I believe I've read that a working storage drive needs to be part of a computer for the motherboard to post.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
July 12, 2012 2:49:48 AM

Take pictures of the inside as it is right now and upload them here. Thats the best thing you can do to give me an idea of whats what. Take a picture of the PSU where all the modular cables connect, another of the motherboard and another of the HDD/SSD's drives.

You may have, and its common error because the instructions are often confusing on getting the power/reset cables from the case on the motherboard (I always mess up when I do that). If you see the power jumpers, put a screw driver between them to complete their circuit to start the system up.

Also, if you are connecting 4-Pin molex cords to HDD/SSD then thats wrong. They need the actual SATA power connectors AND the data cords, very thin ones without any kind of long round pins inside them.

Also, to the poster above, you don't need any form of storage device to post.
m
l
Related resources
July 12, 2012 3:14:38 AM

Okay, thanks! I took pictures of the inside of the CPU.
This is the entire CPU from the inside:

This is the PSU where the cords are plugged:

The SATA drive (I have yet to connect power to it yet):

The HDD (power is connected now):

The MOBO (broken up into 4 pictures because the GPU and CPU fan are in the way):

m
l
a c 243 ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
July 12, 2012 3:21:20 AM

Pictures are always helpful
You need to move the power switch connector over so that there is a pin between it and the reset switch connector
m
l
July 12, 2012 3:29:44 AM

I moved the power switch connector over, but still no luck. :( 
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
July 12, 2012 3:48:07 AM

I can't see your 6 or 8 pin ATX power connector for the CPU, I think its connected because I see the wire, but it didn't get into the picture in the very first picture.

If you can take another picture, well focused and high res (so I can see the text on the motherboard very clearly) of the connectors from the last picture...the case connectors and all those tiny wires.
m
l
a c 243 ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
July 12, 2012 3:58:33 AM

Missed a couple of things before, sorry
1) Remove the 1394 Firewire connector from the USB header
2) Memory should be in the same color slots
m
l
July 12, 2012 4:02:00 AM

blackhawk1928 said:
I can't see your 6 or 8 pin ATX power connector for the CPU, I think its connected because I see the wire, but it didn't get into the picture in the very first picture.

If you can take another picture, well focused and high res (so I can see the text on the motherboard very clearly) of the connectors from the last picture...the case connectors and all those tiny wires.

Okay, the ATX connector is plugged in:

The case connectors, etc:

m
l
a c 243 ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
July 12, 2012 4:12:03 AM

seanmx said:

Board does not have Firewire, remove this connector

You're also going to need to swap the P_Led connectors, you have them reversed
m
l
July 12, 2012 4:16:15 AM

delluser1 said:
Board does not have Firewire, remove this connector

You're also going to need to swap the P_Led connectors, you have them reversed

Okay, I've done both of these things.
Still no power to the psu, but a side fan lit up without starting.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
July 12, 2012 4:28:08 AM

Plug the speaker in so you can hear it post...it should go right above the power and reset SW cables but it may be different for your motherboard.

If you hear one beep, its good to go.
m
l
July 12, 2012 4:40:16 AM

blackhawk1928 said:
Plug the speaker in so you can hear it post...it should go right above the power and reset SW cables but it may be different for your motherboard.

If you hear one beep, its good to go.

There doesn't seem to be a place to plug in the speakers into the motherboard, and also the PSU is still not doing anything and I'm not getting a BIOS screen on the monitor. No beeps.
m
l
a c 243 ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
July 12, 2012 4:45:17 AM

As Blackhawk said the case speaker would go right above the pwr and rst connectors
Did your case come with one ?
Do you have the cpu fan fan connected to the cpu_fan header at the top of the board ?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a c 476 V Motherboard
July 12, 2012 4:45:47 AM

your forgot to use all the mb stand offs...your mb is shorting out. also there going to be a 4/8 pin atx connector near the cpu that has to be plugged into to. on your hard drives the larger l next to the sata data plugs are sata power plugs and there keyed.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
July 12, 2012 4:49:09 AM

seanmx said:
There doesn't seem to be a place to plug in the speakers into the motherboard, and also the PSU is still not doing anything and I'm not getting a BIOS screen on the monitor. No beeps.

I'm not talking about actual speakers, your case or motherboard will usually/always come with a tiny little speaker with 4 tiny holes for pins that goes directly into the motherboard near where the power/reset wires are.
m
l
July 12, 2012 4:55:01 AM

delluser1 said:
As Blackhawk said the case speaker would go right above the pwr and rst connectors
Did your case come with one ?
Do you have the cpu fan fan connected to the cpu_fan header at the top of the board ?

Oh, the fan was cpu fan was plugged into the wrong socket.
But I don't think my case came with a case speaker. I've looked through all the parts and haven't seen one.
m
l
July 12, 2012 5:17:06 AM

blackhawk1928 said:
Just to make sure, it will look similar to this:
http://cdn.overclock.net/b/ba/ba4225be_speaker.jpeg

I really cannot imagine an issue with a corsair PSU, especially an HX.

Try plugging your monitor into your onboard graphics if you have it, if not, keep in that Radeon.

What are your specs also.

Oh and read this if you haven't already:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste...

I've tried both the onboard graphics and the radeon card.
Also I tried removing one RAM card, then the other.

CPU - Intel Core i5-3570k
MOBO - ASUS P8Z77-V
RAM - 8GB G.Skill 2x4
HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB
GPU - HIS Radeon HD 7970
Case - Corsair 500r
PSU - Corsair HX750
Optical - ASUS CD/DVD
SSD - Crucial M4 128GB

This being my first build ever, I'm feeling a bit out of my element. I'm considering taking the pc to the local Microcenter just to make sure everything is in the right place and hooked up correctly.

Edit: There is no case speaker listed in either the motherboard manual or case manual's contents.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
July 12, 2012 8:01:29 AM

I'm a little unclear about one thing. Did you power up the computer with the 1394 cable plugged into the USB socket? This can damage your motherboard. Your MB manual should have BOLD warnings about this. The socket keying is the same but the pinouts are different. (Great idea motherboard manufacturers)
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a c 476 V Motherboard
July 12, 2012 4:13:10 PM

the asus mb wont post with the ib chip in it in till you put the 901 bios onto the mb, you have to use a usb stick and download the 0906 bios and rename it to the usbflash back name from asus web page. then put the usb stick into the flashback port and press the usb flashback button...it talke about 2 min for it to flash the bios...the usb flashback blue led will change it blink pattern and then turn off. you will then be able to post the ib chip if everything connected.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
July 12, 2012 4:22:01 PM

I thought that the Z77 Chipset motherboards had Out-of-Box Ivy Bridge support.

Oh and as another poster said, the Manuals have warnings about plugging 1394 into USB ports.

I also did not notice this before, but which slots do you have your two RAM sticks in now?

m
l
a b ) Power supply
a c 476 V Motherboard
July 12, 2012 8:27:35 PM

depends on the cpu stepping of the cpu. some will post and some wont..what good is the newer asus mb have the usb flashback to be able to flash the bios with just the power supply plugged in.
m
l
!