Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Post Build Concerns

Last response: in Systems
March 29, 2012 2:09:51 AM

I have just completed my very first build, and after some troubleshooting have it up and running. :pt1cable: 

Now that the physical assembly is done, I have some post build questions to ask, keep in mind I am a newbie lol

Here is the build:

case: XCLIO Godspeed 747 Fully Black Finish
psu: Rosewill Green Series RG630-S12 630W Continuous @40°C,80 PLUS Certified
motherboard: ASUS P8H61-M LE CSM REV3 Intel 6 Series Motherboard
cpu: Intel Core i5-2400 Processor
hard-drive: Seagate ST3250312AS Barracuda 7200.12 250GB Hard Drive
RAM: Kingston HyperX Desktop Memory Kit - 8GB (2x 4GB)
gpu: XFX Radeon HD 6870 900M 1GB GDDR5 WITH Total War: Shogun 2 Game Download Coupon and AMD Dirt3 Game Download
disk drive: Sony Optiarc AD7280S-OB 24x DVDRW Drive
OP: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64BIT

1. While installing the CPU, after a smooth and proper placement into the socket with zero insertion force, there was a crunching or grinding metal on metal sound as I pushed the retention lever down into the locked position. I felt too scared to use that much force and constantly stopped to check why it was requiring so much effort. I was nervous about the creaking and whatnot. I discovered that the motherboard's retention bracket had scratched and slightly dented the two little pieces of metal sticking out the side of the CPU. In the end, I used considerable effort to get the job done. The CPU now runs at 29 to 31 degrees Celsius idle. Should I be concerned about the damage or it is only damaged in appearance? What are safe operating and idle/load temperatures for the i5-2400?

2. The CPU, according to CPU-Z runs at 1.5 GHz when I am surfing the web or going through my desktop yet it does not lag in the games I have tested so far. I am assuming this is automatic speed control depending on the workload or is it a built in feature of the motherboard?

3. I shut the computer down directly from the case button several times during POST testing and once after I installed Windows 7. Is this harmful to a new build?

4. Sliding the optical drive and hard drive in and out of various bays to get them arranged resulted in several scratches on the metal casings. Is this also superficial surface damage with no effect on the actual part?

5. At first, I could not get a POST and BIOS screen. I was receiving two short beeps from the system speaker indicating a RAM issue. I rook out the 4GB RAM closest to the CPU and it booted! With half my RAM installed, I got Windows 7 and several programs/games installed on the system. Now I cleaned the contact pieces of the RAM, which had a whitish stain on it, with gentle brushes of a piece of paper. Putting it back into the system and attempting a boot resulted in one beep, indicating successful POST, but there was no input signal. When I did get a successful input signal, it was first with VGA from mobo to my old monitor, then with HDMI from the GPU to my HDTV, all with 4GB RAM. With VGA from mobo to my old monitor with 8GB RAM, there was no input signal despite the successful one beep. Is this because the motherboard is expecting me to use the HDMI and dedicated graphics card (keep in mind I installed drivers for the GPU and set the system up with dedicated graphics) and will therefore not let me use the VGA and mobo's integrated graphics anymore?

6. Motherboard flexed significantly during installation. The RAM and GPU also caused significant bending. Dangerous or not?

8. The Intel stock heat-sink was initially installed when the mobo was on top of its box but later pressed even more into the mobo when it was all the the case. Then I turned the knobs in the direction arrows were pointing. The white plastic is still showing but seems flush to the board. As I said, temperatures with one side of case open were around 30 degrees Celcius. Have I installed this rather bothersome heat-sink properly?

7. Drivers for mobo were from CD, and only the basic ones were installed while the GPU drivers were all from online and a complete package was installed. Should I install all mobo drivers as well from online, even if some seem unneeded?

Thank you experts for taking the time to help not just me, but whoever else might have similar questions. I appreciate any comments. :bounce: 

More about : post build concerns

Best solution

March 29, 2012 2:18:42 AM

1. My ASUS took a considerable amount of force, with the creaking and noises you heard, it should be fine.
2. Normal, runs at 1.5ghz, but ramps up when more is needed.
3. No.
4. Superficial, unless you got the HDD pcb somehow.
5. In my ASUS P8Z68, it told me to install RAM in A2 and B2, try that.
6. Wut, how did you flex the board...
7. They're fine.
8. No idea, I have a aftermarket cooler. :( 
March 29, 2012 2:37:49 AM

did you put all the standoff post under the motherboard and after that did you lock the cpu in place as describe in use manual before the install of the cooler
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
March 29, 2012 2:49:29 AM

Quote:
8. The Intel stock heat-sink was initially installed when the mobo was on top of its box but later pressed even more into the mobo when it was all the the case. Then I turned the knobs in the direction arrows were pointing. The white plastic is still showing but seems flush to the board. As I said, temperatures with one side of case open were around 30 degrees Celcius. Have I installed this rather bothersome heat-sink properly?

the white "flat" part, looks something like a washer on top the mobo,will stay above the motherboard and the "cones" will go through the hole. when you turn the black knobs clockwise and press down, a black pin comes down and expands the white cone to lock down the heatsink.

ok?
(sounds like you did fine)
edited for clarity.
m
l
March 29, 2012 3:06:13 AM

OK you guys are appanetly green haha the old ZIF (zero insertion force ) sockets didnt take much force to lock in like these new ones they should call them20 lb force sockets now lol the crunching sound is the pins crushing down ffor the first time. its un nerving tho. but its normal so relax...btw the new 2011 have a double pull down bracket it really is scary haha. im like wtf.. anyways sounds like you got it...30 c is perfect
m
l
March 29, 2012 7:23:15 PM

Yeah, it the crunching grinding metal on metal sound scared me lol. I stopped pushing several times simply because I panicked. I even took the CPU out once to check all the pins. Anyways, system is running now and I have managed to get the full 8 GB installed once Windows 7 was up and running. Updating it all now.
m
l
March 29, 2012 10:14:37 PM

Best answer selected by gotanyideas123.
m
l
!