New Build and Screen Turns Black/Sound Loops While Gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kolby

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2011
Hey everyone, just wanted to know if anyone could shed some light as to why my computer screen turns black randomly while "gaming". My computer experience tells me it's probably the GPU overheating, but I normally watch my temperatures and they're fine. The highest I hit was 75c (overclocked), and that was while running MSI Kombuster to test stability to see if it was my graphics card that was causing the problem. Normally my GPU temperature is 55c to 67c under full load, 35c to 41c idle. I have a new HIS IceQ X 2GB DDR5 Radeon HD 6950 Turbo Video Card (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=322874). The rest of my system specs are as followed:

- ASUS P8Z68-V LX w/ Intel Z68 Chipset Motherboard

- Intel i5 2500K (Overclocked between 4.3 ghz and 4.5 ghz, but as of right now it's default to help get down to my problem)

- Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 1600mhz

- Coolermaster Silent Pro M850 Modular 850W PSU

- HIS IceQ X 2GB DDR5 Radeon HD 6950 Turbo Video Card

I bought these parts on TigerDirect, if you're willing to looks up individual specs. I appreciate any input, thank you.

***I was overclocking when the black screens occurred; both the CPU and GPU***

Solution
Hi

Do you ever get a 0x116 BSOD?

Also have you tested to see if the issue occur's with everything at stock?

What were you doing at the time?

Kolby

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2011

Thanks for the reply,

No I never have had the 0x116 BSOD appear, the screen just goes black and whatever sound I'm hearing starts looping, and my only option is to restart my computer. I'm currently testing my system with everything stock to see if OC'ing is the problem. The screen only goes black while I'm playing graphically demanding games such as BF3.

Kolby

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2011

Well after a days worth of gaming, it didn't crash. So maybe it's a voltage problem while I'm OC'ing? That's definitely out of my expertise. My GPU temp was only 50c to 60c under load and my CPU temp was only 50c under load. These temps are without overclocking. I would like to O/C though, for max performance. My motherboard/BIOS O/C's my CPU for me though, and I figured it was reliable. Maybe it's the GPU voltage when I overclock it? No clue. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.