Sign in with
Your question

PSU advice, i7 3770K / P8Z77-V PRO build

Last response: in Components
July 12, 2012 7:13:13 AM

Hey all,

I was hoping to get some PSU advice for my new build. Specs below.

Intel Core i7 3770K
ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
Corsair Vengeance LP Performance Memory Modules 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600MHz
EVGA GeForce GTX 570 Superclocked 1280 MB
Western Digital Caviar Black 2 TB SATA III 7200 RPM
Crucial 64 GB m4 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SATA 6Gb/s
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Asus 24xDVD-RW Serial ATA Internal OEM Drive DRW-24B1ST
3-4 small case fans

Used a bunch of online PSU calculators, they averaged around 500watts.. However I thought it'd make more sense to ask here and get some decent advice. Is this accurate? -- would a 500-550 watt PSU suffice? Given the limited choice where I live, here are the PSUs that are readily available:

OCZ ZS550W 80+ Bronze PSU
OCZ ZS650W 80+ Bronze PSU
OCZ 700W ModXStream-Pro Modular 80+ PSU
XILENCE 700W XP700 Power supply

Would you recommend any of these for the above system? They are sorted by price ascending, and I wouldn't want to pay more than I have to as I've already gone over the budget with this PC. Also, I plan very little if any OCing with this system so that should not be a major concern for the PSU.

Cheers and thanks in advance!
a c 110 ) Power supply
July 12, 2012 7:15:22 AM

Anything by corsair, antec, xfx, or seasonic?
July 12, 2012 7:28:06 AM

Not locally, no. The only recognizable make/model I've seen locally is Thermaltake TR2 600W PSU and that too is sold at twice the price on amazon.

So the ones I listed are that bad then?
Related resources
a c 110 ) Power supply
July 12, 2012 7:30:26 AM

They're not the best, is there a website?
a c 158 ) Power supply
July 12, 2012 11:56:39 AM

You can save some money on the budget by going with the i5 3570K; there is a performance hit if you plan on significant media encoding/decoding but it definitely should help your budget.

A system with a single GTX 570 superclock requires a 550W PSU with two 6-pin PCIe power connectors and at least 36A on the 12V rails. The OCZ ZS 550W with 38A on the 12V rail and sufficient power connectors for your GPU is sufficient for your build and has a some power reserve that will support additional OC. It is a good quality PSU.
July 12, 2012 1:02:52 PM

Hey, first off I can't really change anything in the build anymore as I've already bought all the parts. As for the OCZ ZS550W, that quite a steep dive from what the previous poster was suggesting -- basically the cheapest on the list. Would that affect performance? While some of the ones suggested are too expensive for me, I could afford the OCZ 700W ModXStream-Pro Modular 80+ PSU -- would springing for this make more sense for my build?
a c 158 ) Power supply
July 12, 2012 1:38:47 PM

Gotcha on changes; it was worth a shot. As long as the PSU is sufficient for the build and planned usage there will be no performance hit. There wouldn't be a 'performance hit' anyway but if the unit was electrically insufficient, then you'd experience stability issues such as reboots/shutdowns...which I guess could be construed as performance hits but I digress. The OCZ ZS is electrically sufficient for your build and is actually a higher quality PSU than the ModXstream series of PSUs. Review of the OCZ ZS 550W by a top review site: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=... The ModX 700W does have higher 12V capacity, but it's capacity that you don't need and therefore not worth the extra money. A system with a highly OCed, power-hungry i7-965 consumed 369W at full load with a reference GTX 570: http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-570-review/8 Your system with a much more efficient 3570K and a superclocked GTX570 will likely consume the same or less power. That puts the max operating load around 75-80% of the PSUs capacity and still in the efficiency sweet spot. If you want extra capacity, then I would go for the ZS650...you just don't need it.
July 12, 2012 1:53:25 PM

Rugger said:
Gotcha on changes; it was worth a shot. As long as the PSU is sufficient for the build and planned usage there will be no performance hit. There wouldn't be a 'performance hit' anyway but if the unit was electrically insufficient, then you'd experience stability issues such as reboots/shutdowns...which I guess could be construed as performance hits but I digress. The OCZ ZS is electrically sufficient for your build and is actually a higher quality PSU than the ModXstream series of PSUs. Review of the OCZ ZS 550W by a top review site: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=... The ModX 700W does have higher 12V capacity, but it's capacity that you don't need and therefore not worth the extra money. A system with a highly OCed, power-hungry i7-965 consumed 369W at full load with a reference GTX 570: http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-570-review/8 Your system with a much more efficient 3570K and a superclocked GTX570 will likely consume the same or less power. That puts the max operating load around 75-80% of the PSUs capacity and still in the efficiency sweet spot. If you want extra capacity, then I would go for the ZS650...you just don't need it.

Thanks a lot, that was pretty comprehensive. Will go for the 550W as you suggested. Cheers!
a c 158 ) Power supply
July 12, 2012 1:57:15 PM

Glad I could help - Cheers!
!