Network card causing CPU spikes, and Sound skipping?

thedonquixotic

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I just recently purchased a wireless network card for my desktop. It is a ASUS PCE-N13 - Wireless PCI-Express Adapter - 802.11b/g/n - 2 External Antenna card. Ever since then I have been having this thing where the mouse will jag up and pause, and the sound will skip making a little whirring noise. It also messes up video playing from DVD drive. I looked it up online and found this http://forums.techguy.org/windows-xp/564691-sound-skipping-cpu-spikes.html

The guy almost immediately asked about the network card, so I figured "New Network Card, New Problem. Its worth a shot". So I disabled my network card and from the preliminary stages, it seems like that fixes the problem. Except.... I don't have internet on my desktop now.

I tried updating it's driver. Window's says its the latest.

Anyone have a clue what the problem is? I didn't see this problem immediately. Only about three or four days after installing the card.

my specs are:

4 gig ram
200 Hdd
3.2 core duo processor

tkesterson20

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
i hav the same problem with a Asus wifi lan card, even watching a movie or video from the hdd, sound distorted and lag, and as soon as i cut the wifi off or drop the connection everything works fine.

thedonquixotic

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I looked up some more extensive reviews on amazon and it seems this was a common problem with people running Windows 7. I upgraded the firmware, and that fixed the problem.

tkesterson20

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
yea i did a lil digging myself yesterday and found out that i had to manually update the driver for my asus wireless lan card, once i did that ive had no problems, some ppl even said it went as far as only 64 bit win7 ppl