NotePad - file types

October 20, 2004 5:45:01 PM

When I use NotePad, I usually need to open *.DAT files. So each time, I
need to change the file type from *.TXT to all files (*.*). Is it possible
to change default file type to *.DAT;*.TXT when I open a file in Notepad?

TIA
Mike

More about : notepad file types

October 20, 2004 5:45:02 PM

Folder Options/File Types... .DAT/Change/Select program from a
list/Notepad.exe
Michael
"Mike" <hhey2@lycos.com> wrote in message
> When I use NotePad, I usually need to open *.DAT files. So each time, I
> need to change the file type from *.TXT to all files (*.*). Is it
> possible
> to change default file type to *.DAT;*.TXT when I open a file in Notepad?
>
> TIA
> Mike

October 20, 2004 10:24:03 PM

I have *.DAT files opening with Notepad ok, BUT they have a *Nero Showtome*
Icon.
If I go to Folder Options/File Types... .DAT/ it asks if I want to restore
the association to *Nero Showtome* which is obviously incottect...
How can I rectify this please?

"Michael" <afn18721@afn.org> wrote in message
> Folder Options/File Types... .DAT/Change/Select program from a
> list/Notepad.exe
> Michael
> "Mike" <hhey2@lycos.com> wrote in message
>> When I use NotePad, I usually need to open *.DAT files. So each time, I
>> need to change the file type from *.TXT to all files (*.*). Is it
>> possible
>> to change default file type to *.DAT;*.TXT when I open a file in Notepad?
>>
>> TIA
>> Mike

Related resources
October 20, 2004 10:24:04 PM

You can check the registry for HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.dat and see if Nero is
there - but have a reagistry backup or export the key that you want to
delete. There are some registry utilities that can do the job if Nero is no
longer on your system.
Safe and best is to use a tool such as TweakUI for XP to restore file
associations. Or Google for 'xp repair file association'
Michael

"zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>I have *.DAT files opening with Notepad ok, BUT they have a *Nero Showtome*
>Icon.
> If I go to Folder Options/File Types... .DAT/ it asks if I want to restore
> the association to *Nero Showtome* which is obviously incottect...
> How can I rectify this please?
>

>> list/Notepad.exe
>
> "Michael" <afn18721@afn.org> wrote in message
>> Folder Options/File Types... .DAT/Change/Select program from a
>> list/Notepad.exe
>> Michael
>> "Mike" <hhey2@lycos.com> wrote in message
>>> When I use NotePad, I usually need to open *.DAT files. So each time, I
>>> need to change the file type from *.TXT to all files (*.*). Is it
>>> possible
>>> to change default file type to *.DAT;*.TXT when I open a file in
>>> Notepad?
>>>
>>> TIA
>>> Mike

October 21, 2004 4:13:33 AM

Yes, I have associated DAT file type to open with NotePad. But if you open
Notepad, then File, Open... Is there a way to change the "files of type"
combobox in the Open dialog box to *.dat;*.txt?

"Michael" <afn18721@afn.org> wrote in message
> Folder Options/File Types... .DAT/Change/Select program from a
> list/Notepad.exe
> Michael
> "Mike" <hhey2@lycos.com> wrote in message
>> When I use NotePad, I usually need to open *.DAT files. So each time, I
>> need to change the file type from *.TXT to all files (*.*). Is it
>> possible
>> to change default file type to *.DAT;*.TXT when I open a file in Notepad?
>>
>> TIA
>> Mike

Anonymous
October 21, 2004 11:53:52 AM

"zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote
| I have *.DAT files opening with Notepad ok, BUT they have a *Nero Showtome*
| Icon.
| If I go to Folder Options/File Types... .DAT/ it asks if I want to restore
| the association to *Nero Showtome* which is obviously incottect...
| How can I rectify this please?

Does *Nero Showtome* use *.DAT files?

Have you uninstalled *Nero Showtome* ?

Exactly what "asks if (you) want to restore the association
to *Nero Showtome*"?
Did you click [Restore] ?

Exactly what "is obviously inco(rr)ect" ?
October 21, 2004 12:35:47 PM

Let me start over here...
All *.DAT files have a NeroShowtime icon instead of a Notepad icon, and
tried to opem WITH NeroShowtime - the *obviously incorrect* bit....[1]
I have changed this to *Always open this type of file with Notepad*, and
indeed they DO open with Notepad.
HOWEVER, they STILL have NeroShowtime icons.
If I follow the route you gave me: (I had already tried that BTW)
Explorer
Tools
Folder Options
File Types
DAT <<<<<<<<
Change Icon

As soon as I click DAT (as above) *Advanced* is replaced by *Restore* and it
wants to re associate with NeroShowtime.
BTW, what is the Notepad icon called, *Notepad.ico*?
IF so, it doesn't exist on my puter...!

[1] Please excuse typos as I am partially sighted and this is bl@@dy hard
work for me!:-(

--
¦ zulu ¦

"a nonymous" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:o afER9utEHA.3788@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...

> "zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote
> | I have *.DAT files opening with Notepad ok, BUT they have a *Nero
> Showtome*
> | Icon.
> | If I go to Folder Options/File Types... .DAT/ it asks if I want to
> restore
> | the association to *Nero Showtome* which is obviously incottect...
> | How can I rectify this please?
>
> Does *Nero Showtome* use *.DAT files?
>
> Have you uninstalled *Nero Showtome* ?
>
> Exactly what "asks if (you) want to restore the association
> to *Nero Showtome*"?
> Did you click [Restore] ?
>
> Exactly what "is obviously inco(rr)ect" ?

October 22, 2004 12:28:09 AM

Guess you have to code your own notepad for that - i.e. change
saveFileDialog="txt files (*.txt)|*.txt|All files (*.*)|*.*" and ad .dat.
More here:
http://www.visual-basic-data-mining.net/forum/ShowPost....
Michael

"Squid" <noaddress@here.com> wrote in message
> Yes, I have associated DAT file type to open with NotePad. But if you
> open Notepad, then File, Open... Is there a way to change the "files of
> type" combobox in the Open dialog box to *.dat;*.txt?
>

> "Michael" <afn18721@afn.org> wrote in message
>> Folder Options/File Types... .DAT/Change/Select program from a
>> list/Notepad.exe
>> Michael
>> "Mike" <hhey2@lycos.com> wrote in message
>>> When I use NotePad, I usually need to open *.DAT files. So each time, I
>>> need to change the file type from *.TXT to all files (*.*). Is it
>>> possible
>>> to change default file type to *.DAT;*.TXT when I open a file in
>>> Notepad?
>>>
>>> TIA
>>> Mike

Anonymous
October 22, 2004 12:03:07 PM

"zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote
| Let me start over here...
| All *.DAT files have a NeroShowtime icon instead of a Notepad icon, and
| tried to opem WITH NeroShowtime - the *obviously incorrect* bit....[1]

Probably because NeroShowtime uses *.DAT files.

| I have changed this to *Always open this type of file with Notepad*, and
| indeed they DO open with Notepad.
| HOWEVER, they STILL have NeroShowtime icons.
| If I follow the route you gave me: (I had already tried that BTW)
| Explorer
| Tools
| Folder Options
| File Types
| DAT <<<<<<<<
| Change Icon
|
| As soon as I click DAT (as above) *Advanced* is replaced by *Restore* and it
| wants to re associate with NeroShowtime.

Click Restore.

| BTW, what is the Notepad icon called, *Notepad.ico*?
| IF so, it doesn't exist on my puter...!

The icon is inside Notepad.exe itself. To use that icon...

Explorer
Tools
Folder Options
File Types
DAT
Change Icon
Browse (to c:\WINDOWS\notepad.exe)

| [1] Please excuse typos as I am partially sighted and this is bl@@dy hard
| work for me!:-(

No problem.

Have you adjusted the sizes of every item in "Display Properties" ?

Control Panel
Display
Appearance
Item:

Also, have you tried the "On-Screen Keyboard" (OSK) ?

Start
(All) Programs
Accessories
Accessibility
On-Screen Keyboard

I copied the shortcut to OSK to my Statup folder.
I use OSK in "hover mode" but you can click on the keys for faster typing.
The "keys" are large and you can choose, among other things, ...

On-Screen Keyboard
Settings
Font (face, style and size)

P.S.: Ignore my reply to you in the other sub-thread - there is more detail
in this sub-thread.
October 22, 2004 12:16:24 PM

"a nonymous" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:o d74En7tEHA.3088@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...

> "zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote
> | Let me start over here...
> | All *.DAT files have a NeroShowtime icon instead of a Notepad icon, and
> | tried to opem WITH NeroShowtime - the *obviously incorrect* bit....[1]
>
> Probably because NeroShowtime uses *.DAT files.
>

> | I have changed this to *Always open this type of file with Notepad*, and
> | indeed they DO open with Notepad.
> | HOWEVER, they STILL have NeroShowtime icons.
> | If I follow the route you gave me: (I had already tried that BTW)
> | Explorer
> | Tools
> | Folder Options
> | File Types
> | DAT <<<<<<<<
> | Change Icon
> |
> | As soon as I click DAT (as above) *Advanced* is replaced by *Restore*
> and it
> | wants to re associate with NeroShowtime.
>
> Click Restore.

AArrghhhh
As I just said, that doing THAT re associates it with NeroShowtime...
and *Advanced* ain't there no more................

> | BTW, what is the Notepad icon called, *Notepad.ico*?
> | IF so, it doesn't exist on my puter...!
>
> The icon is inside Notepad.exe itself. To use that icon...
>
> Explorer
> Tools
> Folder Options
> File Types
> DAT
> Change Icon
> Browse (to c:\WINDOWS\notepad.exe)

OL, I understand that, but it doesn't fix it :-(

> | [1] Please excuse typos as I am partially sighted and this is bl@@dy
> hard
> | work for me!:-(
>
> No problem.
>
> Have you adjusted the sizes of every item in "Display Properties" ?
>
> Control Panel
> Display
> Appearance
> Item:

Oh yes, I've played with that more than I have with her downstairs! <G>
I've also increased dpi to 150%...

> Also, have you tried the "On-Screen Keyboard" (OSK) ?
>
> Start
> (All) Programs
> Accessories
> Accessibility
> On-Screen Keyboard
>
> I copied the shortcut to OSK to my Statup folder.
> I use OSK in "hover mode" but you can click on the keys for faster typing.
> The "keys" are large and you can choose, among other things, ...
>
> On-Screen Keyboard
> Settings
> Font (face, style and size)

Thanks, I'll investigate that again.
(I didn't like it the only (brief) time I tried it.)
However....

> P.S.: Ignore my reply to you in the other sub-thread - there is more
> detail
> in this sub-thread.

Ok :-))
I'll delete the other thread...

Thanks for all your efforts.
This is getting VERY frustrating tho...
Anonymous
October 23, 2004 10:45:47 AM

"zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote

| "a nonymous" wrote
| >
| > "zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote
| > | I have changed this to *Always open this type of file with Notepad*, and
| > | indeed they DO open with Notepad.
| > | HOWEVER, they STILL have NeroShowtime icons.
| > | If I follow the route you gave me: (I had already tried that BTW)
| > | Explorer
| > | Tools
| > | Folder Options
| > | File Types
| > | DAT <<<<<<<<
| > | Change Icon
| > |
| > | As soon as I click DAT (as above) *Advanced* is replaced by *Restore*
| > and it wants to re associate with NeroShowtime.
| >
| > Click Restore.
|
| AArrghhhh
| As I just said, that doing THAT re associates it with NeroShowtime...
| and *Advanced* ain't there no more.

On a working system, when you click [Restore] it should change back
to [Advanced].

Because NeroShowtime now owns *.DAT files,
you need to MANUALLY set the *.DAT file association to Notepad.

Explorer
Tools
Folder Options
File Types
DAT
( Click Restore to give you the Advanced button. )
Change Icon
Browse (to c:\WINDOWS\notepad.exe)
OK

In the "Action:" box, click "Open", then click [Edit]

In "Application used to perform action:"
"c:\WINDOWS\notepad.exe" "%1"

If there is a tick in "Use DDE",
then in the "Application:" box below that, enter

notepad

OK
OK
OK