winoni71

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
This is my present setting:

- Operating System installed on a Hard Disk
- SATA controller set to RAID

Future setting:

- Operating System installed on a SSD
- SATA controller set to AHCI (for TRIM functions)

Since I don't want to rush as usual, i was wondering if i could do it this way:

Unplug the HDD in which the O.S. is installed, modify SATA settings from SATA to AHCI, plug-in the SSD and install the O.S..

From this moment on when i want to work on the O.S. in the SSD (to install all the programs, updates, etc.), i unplug the HDD and set the SATA controller to AHCI, when i want to use O.S. in the HDD i unplug the SSD and set the SATA controller to RAID.

Am i correct?

The only two doubts i have are::

- When i will be ready for the final "transition", can i start the O.S. on the SSD and access the HDD to transfer the files that i want to keep?
- What happens if i activate the Windows 7 key on the SSD when it is already active on the HDD?

Thank you.

Chaz21

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012

You're only going to "boot" into one window's OS at a time, either the one on the HDD or the one on the SSD. Why would you want to "use the os in the HDD" after loading a new one onto the SSD? Only in the "active" instance of windows (the one you booted with) will the windows key work. If the SSD becomes your boot drive - the HDD is only read as storage (even if some of that storage is another copy of windows). You can transfer files onto and off it without any effect on the SSD or the OS loaded on it.

winoni71

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011

So i can continue using programs i haven't install on the SSD yet, of course this would go on for 3 or 4 days at max.
When the SSD will be 100 % ready I'll transfer the files, format the HDD and use it as storage.

Anyway, what i wanted to know was if i could do it and from what i understood i can, so thank you.

P.S.: Will the speed difference be so evident with SSD?