Sign in with
Your question

Upgrade bug. Help please.

Last response: in Systems
March 29, 2012 10:51:16 AM

Hi guys,

Well the upgrade bug has hit me yet again but this time I'm not so sure what I want to do yet. My system is probably about 3 years old already save for the video card, psu and monitor. My system is as follows:

case: Coolermaster HAF X
mobo: Asus m4a79xtd evo
cpu: Phenom II 965
psu: 700w hec cougar
video card: Sapphire 6970
monitor: dell u2711
sound card: Asus xonar essence stx
hdd: 2 1 tb
1 500 tb

Now as I picture it I have three ways of going about this. First I can just crossfire the 6970 but in order to do that I would need to upgrade the psu as I currently have too many devices connected and as per psu calculator I would need at least 850-900w. Second, I've been thinking of upgrading the mobo and cpu (2500k plus maximus IV Gene-Z). And lastly, I've been drooling over the MSI R7970 lightning card for the past week. If I get that my 700w psu should be fine for the time being.

I just want to maximize the resolution without taking as much hit as possible. Granted all the choices are priced the same save for the 7970 which would put me around $630-$650ish, the crossfire and psu would be around $520-$550ish and the new mobo and cpu at around $380-$400. Help, anyone?

Thanks in advance.

~drex

More about : upgrade bug

a b B Homebuilt system
March 29, 2012 11:38:17 AM

drexeus said:
Hi guys,

Well the upgrade bug has hit me yet again but this time I'm not so sure what I want to do yet. My system is probably about 3 years old already save for the video card, psu and monitor. My system is as follows:

case: Coolermaster HAF X
mobo: Asus m4a79xtd evo
cpu: Phenom II 965
psu: 700w hec cougar
video card: Sapphire 6970
monitor: dell u2711
sound card: Asus xonar essence stx
hdd: 2 1 tb
1 500 tb

Now as I picture it I have three ways of going about this. First I can just crossfire the 6970 but in order to do that I would need to upgrade the psu as I currently have too many devices connected and as per psu calculator I would need at least 850-900w. Second, I've been thinking of upgrading the mobo and cpu (2500k plus maximus IV Gene-Z). And lastly, I've been drooling over the MSI R7970 lightning card for the past week. If I get that my 700w psu should be fine for the time being.

I just want to maximize the resolution without taking as much hit as possible. Granted all the choices are priced the same save for the 7970 which would put me around $630-$650ish, the crossfire and psu would be around $520-$550ish and the new mobo and cpu at around $380-$400. Help, anyone?

Thanks in advance.

~drex

Check out the comparison here:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/288?vs=102
I believe you'll notice a major performance boost by going the new cpu/mobo route.
m
l
March 29, 2012 12:02:15 PM

That's quite a difference. It's also the cheapest option right now. Would it make a difference using the native resolution of the u2711?
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
March 29, 2012 12:19:32 PM

drexeus said:
That's quite a difference. It's also the cheapest option right now. Would it make a difference using the native resolution of the u2711?

The resolution will be more effected by your GPU (and possibly your mobo chipset).
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 29, 2012 12:19:40 PM

Also what games do you play on your current rig? Are they more CPU or GPU intensive? These question could also help you decide which to upgrade first.
m
l
March 29, 2012 2:39:07 PM

Well currently I'm playing BF3, Skyrim, Starcraft, Total war shogun 2, etc. I feel like performance in some games have dropped but I am not entirely sure as it may be just due to the size of the screen that i notice a few things i didn't before. Thanks a lot guys for helping.
m
l
!