Upgrade bug. Help please.

Hi guys,

Well the upgrade bug has hit me yet again but this time I'm not so sure what I want to do yet. My system is probably about 3 years old already save for the video card, psu and monitor. My system is as follows:

case: Coolermaster HAF X
mobo: Asus m4a79xtd evo
cpu: Phenom II 965
psu: 700w hec cougar
video card: Sapphire 6970
monitor: dell u2711
sound card: Asus xonar essence stx
hdd: 2 1 tb
1 500 tb

Now as I picture it I have three ways of going about this. First I can just crossfire the 6970 but in order to do that I would need to upgrade the psu as I currently have too many devices connected and as per psu calculator I would need at least 850-900w. Second, I've been thinking of upgrading the mobo and cpu (2500k plus maximus IV Gene-Z). And lastly, I've been drooling over the MSI R7970 lightning card for the past week. If I get that my 700w psu should be fine for the time being.

I just want to maximize the resolution without taking as much hit as possible. Granted all the choices are priced the same save for the 7970 which would put me around $630-$650ish, the crossfire and psu would be around $520-$550ish and the new mobo and cpu at around $380-$400. Help, anyone?

Thanks in advance.

~drex
5 answers Last reply
More about upgrade please
  1. drexeus said:
    Hi guys,

Well the upgrade bug has hit me yet again but this time I'm not so sure what I want to do yet. My system is probably about 3 years old already save for the video card, psu and monitor. My system is as follows:

case: Coolermaster HAF X
    mobo: Asus m4a79xtd evo
    cpu: Phenom II 965
    psu: 700w hec cougar
    video card: Sapphire 6970
    monitor: dell u2711
    sound card: Asus xonar essence stx
    hdd: 2 1 tb
    1 500 tb

Now as I picture it I have three ways of going about this. First I can just crossfire the 6970 but in order to do that I would need to upgrade the psu as I currently have too many devices connected and as per psu calculator I would need at least 850-900w. Second, I've been thinking of upgrading the mobo and cpu (2500k plus maximus IV Gene-Z). And lastly, I've been drooling over the MSI R7970 lightning card for the past week. If I get that my 700w psu should be fine for the time being.

I just want to maximize the resolution without taking as much hit as possible. Granted all the choices are priced the same save for the 7970 which would put me around $630-$650ish, the crossfire and psu would be around $520-$550ish and the new mobo and cpu at around $380-$400. Help, anyone?

Thanks in advance.

~drex

Check out the comparison here:
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/288?vs=102
    I believe you'll notice a major performance boost by going the new cpu/mobo route.
  2. That's quite a difference. It's also the cheapest option right now. Would it make a difference using the native resolution of the u2711?
  3. drexeus said:
    That's quite a difference. It's also the cheapest option right now. Would it make a difference using the native resolution of the u2711?

The resolution will be more effected by your GPU (and possibly your mobo chipset).
  4. Also what games do you play on your current rig? Are they more CPU or GPU intensive? These question could also help you decide which to upgrade first.
  5. Well currently I'm playing BF3, Skyrim, Starcraft, Total war shogun 2, etc. I feel like performance in some games have dropped but I am not entirely sure as it may be just due to the size of the screen that i notice a few things i didn't before. Thanks a lot guys for helping.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Bug Systems