Change default file type in Open dialogbox

When I use NotePad, I usually need to open *.DAT files. So each time, I need
to change the file type from *.TXT to all files (*.*). Is it possible to
change default file type to *.DAT;*.TXT when I open a file in Notepad?

TIA
Mike
5 answers Last reply
More about change default file type open dialogbox

    My DAT files open with Notepad ok (is this as it shoulf be...?) just by
    double clicking them.

    However, they have the *Nero Showtime* icon.
    How do I fix this please?

    "zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote
    | My DAT files open with Notepad ok (is this as it shoulf be...?) just by
    | double clicking them.
    |
    | However, they have the *Nero Showtime* icon.
    | How do I fix this please?

    Explorer
    Tools
    Folder Options
    File Types
    DAT
    Change Icon

    "Squid" <Squid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
    | When I use NotePad, I usually need to open *.DAT files. So each time, I need
    | to change the file type from *.TXT to all files (*.*). Is it possible to
    | change default file type to *.DAT;*.TXT when I open a file in Notepad?
    |
    | TIA
    | Mike

    Not possible via "Resource Hacker".

    However a hex-editor can be used to change "*.txt" to "*.DAT".

    1. Copy c:\WINDOWS\NOTEPAD.EXE to c:\<folder-of-choice>\NOTEPAD-dat.EXE

    2. In a hex-editor, open NOTEPAD-dat.EXE

    3. Scroll to offset 0x7C0

    4. Edit "t.x.t." to "d.a.t."

    5. Create a shortcut to c:\<folder-of-choice>\NOTEPAD-dat.EXE, and use that one
    to open "*.DAT" files.

    -or-

    Get a free text editor such as at http://www.editpadpro.com/editpadlite.html

    I can't do that, that's the problem....
    The only choce I have is to restore the association and that makes it try to
    open with NeroShowtime...
    Once I do that, the Notepad Icon isn't ther to choose anyway
    AArrghhhhhhhhhhh

    "a nonymous" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > "zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote
    > | My DAT files open with Notepad ok (is this as it shoulf be...?) just by
    > | double clicking them.
    > |
    > | However, they have the *Nero Showtime* icon.
    > | How do I fix this please?
    >
    > Explorer
    > Tools
    > Folder Options
    > File Types
    > DAT
    > Change Icon

    "zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote
    | I can't do that, that's the problem....
    | The only choce I have is to restore the association and that makes it try to
    | open with NeroShowtime...
    | Once I do that, the Notepad Icon isn't ther to choose anyway
    | AArrghhhhhhhhhhh
    |
    | "a nonymous" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | >
    | > "zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote
    | > | My DAT files open with Notepad ok (is this as it shoulf be...?) just by
    | > | double clicking them.
    | > |
    | > | However, they have the *Nero Showtime* icon.
    | > | How do I fix this please?

    Explorer
    Tools
    Folder Options
    File Types
    DAT
    Change Icon
    Browse (to c:\WINDOWS\notepad.exe)

Configuration Default Notepad Customization File Type Windows XP