Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading an 8800GT in a i5-750/LGA1156 PC

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 22, 2012 6:01:15 PM

Hello,

following the advice in the sticky at the top:
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: this month (Jan 2012), budget around £160 ($240)

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming: BF3, Mass Effect 3, SupCom2, TF2/CSS, possibly Star Wars MMO - plus obviously future games

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: Nvidia 8800GT 512 MB & 650W PSU (don't know brand)

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: Intel core i5-750 2.67 GHz, Asus P7P55D ip55 LGA1156

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: ebuyer.com Delivery to UK

PARTS PREFERENCES: Not a concern

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No unless very compelling argument

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1680x1050

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Planning to buy BF3, if there is a card that comes with it that would be nice too/willing to add to the budget

Currently I am looking at two options

Asus GTX 560 Ti Battlefield 3 Edition 1GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDMI PCI-E Graphics Card £190

Asus GTX 550 Ti 1GB GDDR5 VGA DVI HDMI PCI-E Graphics Card £98

There is a price difference there of £100 although the former includes BF3 so a bit less - I am curious if the expected increase in performance from the more expensive card would actually be available to me with my somewhat older CPU - so would it be worth buying without doing an upgrade or am I in the position where I should really look at upgrading all my components?

I've read the reviews for them both and noted some comments about needing quite a bit of space for their cards, currently there would be room in my case to install a second 8800 if I had one so I assume there will be enough room for one new card too.

Other card suggestions/recommendations welcome.
January 22, 2012 6:11:59 PM

between these 2 gtx 560ti is much better buy but if u can wait hd 7950 release is around the corner (31th jan)
a c 603 U Graphics card
January 22, 2012 6:15:09 PM

Absolutely cough up the extra dough for the GTX 560 Ti. It will be worth it. The GTX 560 Ti, particularly when overclocked, is a top tier card. That Asus BF3 edition uses their "TOP" GPU and components. It is the highest factory overclock that Asus offers and uses higher quality components. It's their top of the line.

The GTX 550 Ti is mid-range all the way, and generally weaker than some of the other mid-range offerings.

Related resources
January 22, 2012 6:18:01 PM

17seconds said:
Absolutely cough up the extra dough for the GTX 560 Ti. It will be worth it. The GTX 560 Ti, particularly when overclocked, is a top tier card. That Asus BF3 edition uses their "TOP" GPU and components. It is the highest factory overclock that Asus offers and uses higher quality components. It's their top of the line.

The GTX 550 Ti is mid-range all the way, and generally weaker than some of the other mid-range offerings.

That sounds good enough to choose it - would it actually work OK with my other components do you think?
a c 603 U Graphics card
January 22, 2012 7:07:10 PM

sirjimmus said:
That sounds good enough to choose it - would it actually work OK with my other components do you think?

Oh yeah, definitely a good match for a Core-i7 system and at your relatively lower resolution. Your PSU should be good as well.
January 22, 2012 10:38:58 PM

Thanks for the advice guys. Will sleep on it and hopefully still want to upgrade tomorrow!
!