Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Can this PSU still be used?

Last response: in Components
July 12, 2012 10:29:36 AM

So, this is my friend's PSU.
He bought a new one and gave this PSU to me.

Now, what happen is, my friend said that the power cord he uses is sparking.
And he left it. :sarcastic: 

Now, his PSU power cord slot got burnt.
Here's a picture:

Now, I'm wondering if I can still use it or replace the slot.
Any ways? Or, none?

I know that it's nearly impossible.
But still, I want to know. :) 

It's okay if it's not usable anymore. ;) 

More about : psu

a b ) Power supply
July 12, 2012 10:39:43 AM

is it sparking when it's set to the off position as well? i get sparking when mines on, but that's to be expected
m
l
a b ) Power supply
July 12, 2012 11:20:10 AM

You're kidding, right? You're asking whether it's safe to use a power supply that is sparking (it doesn't matter where)?
m
l
Related resources
a c 158 ) Power supply
July 12, 2012 11:27:14 AM

If the plug receptacle is in that shape, then it needs to be opened and electrically inspected, repaired and tested. I wouldn't trust that PSU; a good PSU should detect electrical abnormalities and shut itself down before damage like that occurs. What is the make and model of the PSU?

Edit: It would likely cost more to repair than to replace the PSU.
m
l
July 12, 2012 12:03:29 PM

nna2 said:
is it sparking when it's set to the off position as well? i get sparking when mines on, but that's to be expected

I'm asking my friend now.
abekl said:
You're kidding, right? You're asking whether it's safe to use a power supply that is sparking (it doesn't matter where)?

Not quite. :)  The sparking takes place on the power cord and I thought that the power cord itself made this happen. Just a thought.
I'm thinking that if it still can be use with that kind of burnt. Can I just remove the burnt particles then use it again?
Would be impossible though. :sarcastic: 
Rugger said:
If the plug receptacle is in that shape, then it needs to be opened and electrically inspected, repaired and tested. I wouldn't trust that PSU; a good PSU should detect electrical abnormalities and shut itself down before damage like that occurs. What is the make and model of the PSU?

Edit: It would likely cost more to repair than to replace the PSU.

Seems so.
It's a Huntkey 500w , my friend said.
m
l

Best solution

a c 158 ) Power supply
July 12, 2012 12:06:36 PM

Huntkey = shoddy PSUs on most of their new] units. I wouldn't put this thing within 10' of my PC components after this damage.
July 12, 2012 12:27:02 PM

Now that's the reason, huh? :) 
I'll be buying a PSU. Just asked if this PSU is still usable.
Next time, I'll ask if the PSU is enough for mah rig. :) 

Thanks a lot. :) 
m
l
July 12, 2012 12:35:33 PM

Best answer selected by gatgat23.
m
l
a c 158 ) Power supply
July 12, 2012 12:45:31 PM

gatgat23 said:
Now that's the reason, huh? :) 
I'll be buying a PSU. Just asked if this PSU is still usable.
Next time, I'll ask if the PSU is enough for mah rig. :) 

Thanks a lot. :) 

A good quality 500W PSU will run almost any single-GPU PC that you can put together now. A big issue is that there are some really bad quality PSUs on the street. Huntkey happens to make some of those low-quality PSUs and that's enough of a reason for me. ;)  I'd be happy to make some recommendations on PSUs if you want to list your specs. :) 
m
l
July 12, 2012 12:55:13 PM

Thanks a lot. I'm still not yet sure since I'm going to build a whole new rig.
Here's the sequence I'm gonna make:
Case (Storm Enforcer at the moment) -> PSU -> Mobo -> CPU -> CPU Cooler -> Video Card -> RAM.

With that sequence, I'm going to use my current specs in my sig until I change it. :) 
m
l
a b ) Power supply
July 12, 2012 1:01:04 PM

newegg just ran out of hex core phenom II's :( 
but yeah, i would for sure get out of the 760G chipset :p 
m
l
July 12, 2012 1:09:35 PM

Nah. I can't buy in Newegg anyways.
I'm from Philippines. :) 
m
l
a b ) Power supply
July 12, 2012 1:17:39 PM

gatgat23 said:
Nah. I can't buy in Newegg anyways.
I'm from Philippines. :) 

ahh i see lol, i just remember seeing a few leftover 1045T's, and that's about the tops your mobo supports
m
l
a c 158 ) Power supply
July 12, 2012 1:18:30 PM

Link a site and we'll make some recommendations from there...IIRC the Antec PSUs are usually priced pretty well there. Storm Enforcer is a decent quality case at a great price...good choice.
m
l
July 12, 2012 1:29:48 PM

Here's where I'm looking.
A Philippine exclusive website for advertising PC parts.

This is the local store's (Where I'm buying) ads:
http://www.tipidpc.com/useritems.php?username=PCHub

All prices are in PHP.
The comments may be filipino.
Also, just find PSU at the bottom. (Sorry.)
Or, just Ctrl + F it. :) 
m
l
a b ) Power supply
July 12, 2012 1:34:34 PM

:(  no phenom II's left, if you want to, i would reccomend the FX 8120, there is alot of hate on bulldozer, but that way you can upgrade to a CPU with similar preformance to the i5 2400/2500k without spending more on a motherboard, which saves alteast 100$ http://www.tipidpc.com/viewitem.php?iid=15301973 also, i would reccomend the 8120 over the 8150 b/c it's not worth the extra money for 400MHz, you could get a cpu cooler for the same price, and get 800MHz-1.2GHz more out of it :) 
m
l
July 12, 2012 1:40:51 PM

I thought that FX's are not really meant for gaming? (From what I read somewhere.)
That's why I thought of having an Intel based mobo and CPU.

(Man, I should've made a discussion. :) )
m
l
a b ) Power supply
July 12, 2012 1:44:13 PM

no, AMD chips are fine for gaming, game engines don't use up all that much power BF3 being an exeption... but it's very well multithreaded, so it really dosen't matter in the end

im planning to go FX, and im a huge gamer... very few games are singlethreaded anymore, and those that are probably don't need all that much anyways
m
l
a c 158 ) Power supply
July 12, 2012 1:47:13 PM

Actually both the Seasonics and Antecs are among the best deals. In order of preference:
1. Seasonic S12II-520 for 2850: http://www.tipidpc.com/viewitem.php?iid=17770774
2. If you want modular then the M12II-520 is 650 more: http://www.tipidpc.com/viewitem.php?iid=10995415
3. If your system requires some extra capacity, then the Antec HCG 620 is an OK deal at 4120: http://www.tipidpc.com/viewitem.php?iid=17928529

I run a system with an HD6950 on the Seasonic M12II-520...quiet and efficient. It or the S12II-520 should be more than enough for any single-GPU PC you want to build.
m
l
a c 158 ) Power supply
July 12, 2012 1:52:37 PM

You can always start another thread. AMD vs Intel doesn't matter a ton until you start getting at an HD7850 or higher performance GPU; the system will be GPU limited up to that point. Beyond that and the i3 and i5 CPUs start showing their superior gaming power; THG did a couple of articles that demonstrated that late winter/early spring. Articles in order of release:
1. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-fx-pentium-a...
2. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fx-4100-core-i3-210...
m
l
a b ) Power supply
July 12, 2012 2:02:31 PM

^the FX chips actually aren't too bad, exept in skyrim, but it seems pretty poorly optimized for multi core setups as is
m
l
a c 158 ) Power supply
July 12, 2012 2:40:05 PM

link?
m
l
July 12, 2012 2:59:37 PM

Yeah. I forgot the link of the thread when I posted my reply. Then, I edited it. :) 
m
l
!