Ricketylynn

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
Hello, I am looking to buy a laptop computer. Both are HP dv6s. My concern is in the processors. One would be a i3 or i5 Intel processor and the other (for a better price) has a AMD PHenom 11 Quad-Core 1.80 GHZ. Would the AMD Quad-Core be as good as the intel? or at least close?

rglaredo

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
I been doing my research on and vs intel. as of today ..intel is better any of the i3 or 5s are better than anything new from amd. i5 will be better. Everyone is holding on the new amd's this fall i just cant wait that long ..diablo 3 is almost here and i have a 4 year old amd system from best buy lol. I wanted an amd one but ..intel as of today is better.

If you find a model of the DV6 with an AMD fusion APU like the A8 ,A6 or A4 processors its likely to have much better graphics than any intel option .
The cpu wont be as powerful [ but you wont notice this unless you want to encode large amounts of video or calculate Pi to 40 billion decimal places ] , but graphics performance for gaming will be much better .
You will even be able to play games .

einterlan

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012

Agreed at 100% whit you!

quicksand10

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012

^+1, even the i3 would be better than the AMD one, however

Outlander_04 has a point. You will be able to game better with an AMD APU, unless the Intel laptop has a discrete card (will last less long on battery, though).