Nvidia GTX 260 896mb upgrade

x0rsist

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
Hello,

My name is Adam, Good evening to you all!

i have the aforementioned card from PNY in my rig which i built a near lifetime ago in late 2008/ early 2009 for just over 1200 pounds sterling. ive long forgotten the exact specs of it, and i cant pull them off the computer as im currently on my laptop.

But im considering an upgrade. Ive beeen WELL out of the tech loop since then, as i do a work intensive Mechanical engineering degree course an dam in my 4th year. With that said, i had to give up my job, and all money goes to rent and car etc.

SO, i may be getting a tax return very soon, and i might cipher off 100 pounds to replace this dwindling card. Im getting serious Stuttering issues in the new back to karkland maps in BF3 which lowering settings does not fix!

My question is....is a gtx260 still more powerful than cards less than 100 pounds today? and secondly if i was to buy a card for this price, would i notice the gains?

keep in mind ive been out of the tech loop for well over a year or 2 now! Too much else going on.

x0rsist

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
Double posting for lack of ability to edit post at this time.

Editing for conformity:

100 pound budget,
willing to buy from any site,
resolution maybe about 1600x1050,
im not sure, i have a 22 inch widescreen lg TFT monitor, ill play at what the card can let me play at
Will update on exact model of PSU and CPU when i get home, but i know the CPU was an intel Q series quad core
the system currently runs vista and has 4gb ram, but i have sorted a free win 7 upgrade for next week.

rebate hopefully by the end of the month so thats when the buying comes in.

i play games like stalker, metro 2033, bf3 , wither 2 skyrim, deus ex hr, etc. no issues whatsoever except B2K maps in bf3.

Most of those games are just as CPU demanding as GPU and the old Core2Quad series is really showing it's age in today's games so you will definitly be held back by it.

For 100 pounds or roughly $150(US) your best bet would be to go with a 6850.It consumes less power than the GTX260 and it's slighty faster but it's not what I would call a substantial upgrade well worth the money invested over your current GTX260.The only real big gain I see from going with a 6850 is less power consumption and DX11.

x0rsist

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012

Thanks for the Info, going to look into that card now. I had a horrible feeling that i wasnt going to get much for 100 pounds, but such are the constraints of being a student with no job and no time for one, i can barely afford my own petrol and rent! An di cant justify spending more than 100 pounds on stuff that i dont REALLY need.

Seeing that the only reason im considering this is because i want to be able to play B2K maps in BF3 without the gamebreaking lag im experiencing, do you think this is a Battlefield Coding issue, or, my DX10 Card getting stuffed by the more demanding features of the B2K maps?

And if so, should i just wait for a patch?

I've heard of that before reading around on other forums.They can play BF3 just fine but have problems with the map pack.Sounds to me like it's a coding issue.But I doubt their will be a patch for it because that seems to be a oddball case and only for a certain number of users.

I'm not exactly certain how much of a gain the 6850 has over the GTX260 so I suggest waiting for some more input on it.

x0rsist

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
Thanks for your input, purple. I too have little hope for an official patch, but i will monitor the forums for a fix until i see this money.

Spentshells, having put it like that, its not actually a terrible upgrade in terms of levels raised, is it? back in the day, i remeber the price gap between the 260 and the 280, and me going for the 260 because i couldnt forsee needing somehting as powerful as the 280 at that time!

You are right about the money though, i would definitley prefer building from scratch in the future, however, im considering an offer to join a clan who would game on B2K servers, and alsongside that im missing out on some seriously good gaming sessions with my mates, considering i have to disconnect from the server when it loads a b2k map and leave them to continue. Its very frustrating and i would be willing to spend the 100 on a 6850 if i t was to fix the situation.