I5-750, i7-870 vs Ivybridge

Hi All,

I'm currently sat with a e8500 cpu at home, and I've seen some 'good' looking deals for 1156 socket stuff.

I'm a cheap arse and I won't utilise the cpu to the limit however I want to 'step up' to a quad core.

I'd just like to know how a i7-870/i5-750 (with a moderate overclock) would stack up against an ivy/sandy i5.

I'm primarily talking about online multiplayer titles such as

SC II
Battlefield 3
WoW

and finally, if combined with a gtx 670 would it hold it back at all (given the above titles).

I see a lot of anecdotal suggestions that unless you have the latest intel cpu, you're bottlenecking the crap out of your system, but from real world benchies of differing processors I find seem to suggest it doesn't make a huge amount of difference.

I can't seem to find a comparision (or many reviews for that matter) regardining the afforemention, if anyone can point me in the right direction.

:bounce:
3 answers Last reply
More about ivybridge
  1. first gen I7 is still great, it's pretty hot running, but they still stack up very well against new chips... and no, you won't bottleneck a 670
  2. The euivalent Ivy chips should be atleast 15-20% faster than the i7-870/i5-750 at the smae clock speeds.

NO, both the i7-870/i5-750 won't cause any bottleneck.

However, if u are building a fresh rig, i'd highly recommend that you only build a LGA 1155 one, coz it allows u to use both the modern SB/IB chips on it :)
    The LGA 1156 socket is dead, meaning you can't upgrade your processor in the future....u'll have to change your motherboard as well :(
  3. Thanks for the help guys,

Regarding upgrade paths,

I'd be quite happy with this performance till Haswell/Beyond.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Intel i7 Intel i5