Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Problem with my new build!

Last response: in Systems
March 29, 2012 1:59:22 PM

Hey guys,

First off my specs are in my signature.

So heres the story: Was watching a DVD movie last night (well actually I wasn't, I was sound asleep), but my gf was watching. Apparently my new computer just shut off by itself.

So anyways, I didn't have much time to check it out this morning - however I did notice my ROG connect button on my motherboard is lit up in the back I/O panel (good sign IMO). I didn't notice any foul smell so I don't think anything burnt.

In the small amount of time I had - I unplugged the power cable - replugged it back in and nothing. I tried turning the I/O power switch on the PSU but that didn't do anything as well.

Heres what i'm thinking - I think my front panel power button might be messed up/possibly burnt or not working since my motherboards ROG connect button is lit.

What I will try:

I will try to use the screwdriver method to turn on my motherboard when I get some time. Would there be any problems doing this? Does anyone think it would be dangerous?

If I do need a new front power cable - where should I get it from? Should I go through SilverStone, or newegg? I know they are probably dirt cheap I can order one if need be.

One last thing: The last change I did to my computer was upgrading from CCC 12.2 to CCC 12.3. However that didn't seem to affect my computer when I did the change, as the issue happened about 6-7 hours later.

Any input would be appreciated.

More about : problem build

a b B Homebuilt system
March 29, 2012 2:23:57 PM

have you tried resetting the CMOS?
take out the battery that is next to the south bridge and make sure your computer is unplugged from the wall
put the battery back in, feed it power and cross your fingers it will turn on
if not i would visually inspect each power cable and make sure everything is connected..maybe some connection is loose
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 29, 2012 2:25:47 PM

Chainzsaw said:
I will try to use the screwdriver method to turn on my motherboard when I get some time. Would there be any problems doing this? Does anyone think it would be dangerous?

As long as you only cross the proper pins you'll be ok.
Chainzsaw said:
If I do need a new front power cable - where should I get it from? Should I go through SilverStone, or newegg? I know they are probably dirt cheap I can order one if need be.

It'll probably be the switch not the cable so check the case mfg's website first (so everything matches).
Chainzsaw said:
One last thing: The last change I did to my computer was upgrading from CCC 12.2 to CCC 12.3. However that didn't seem to affect my computer when I did the change, as the issue happened about 6-7 hours later.

A problem with AMD's drivers? Surely you jest?
m
l
Related resources
March 29, 2012 2:44:06 PM

alvine said:
have you tried resetting the CMOS?
take out the battery that is next to the south bridge and make sure your computer is unplugged from the wall
put the battery back in, feed it power and cross your fingers it will turn on
if not i would visually inspect each power cable and make sure everything is connected..maybe some connection is loose

Hi thanks for taking the time to reply alvine. I haven't had time to clear the CMOS yet. I will try that once I get home.

Quote:
It'll probably be the switch not the cable so check the case mfg's website first (so everything matches).

Ok i'll look into that.

Quote:

I highly doubt it was caused by the updated driver. As I mentioned I installed 12.3 driver and it was working for a good 6-7 hours until my computer turned off by itself (of course when I was asleep lol).

Right now I just have my computer unplugged. At lunch i'll try these suggestions out. Another thing I wanted to mention - I don't think any cables came loose - as I haven't even moved the computer since I built it, and it was working since then. I will definitely double check though.

Edit: Also I haven't overclocked anything - everything is at stock. I did OC my video card 3-4 days ago just for about 1 hour when I was trying out some Heaven benchmarks for another thread. However I set it back to stock - and there was no issues before and after I did the OC.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 29, 2012 3:03:33 PM

Chainzsaw said:
Hi thanks for taking the time to reply alvine. I haven't had time to clear the CMOS yet. I will try that once I get home.

Quote:

Ok i'll look into that.

Quote:

I highly doubt it was caused by the updated driver. As I mentioned I installed 12.3 driver and it was working for a good 6-7 hours until my computer turned off by itself (of course when I was asleep lol).

Right now I just have my computer unplugged. At lunch i'll try these suggestions out. Another thing I wanted to mention - I don't think any cables came loose - as I haven't even moved the computer since I built it, and it was working since then. I will definitely double check though.

Edit: Also I haven't overclocked anything - everything is at stock. I did OC my video card 3-4 days ago just for about 1 hour when I was trying out some Heaven benchmarks for another thread. However I set it back to stock - and there was no issues before and after I did the OC.

The driver bit was a joke (though so are AMD's drivers).
You may have already fixed your problem by leaving it unplugged for so much time. PSU's today come with alot of safety features which cause them to "power off" until reset (or the problem is fixed). They are reset by removing them from power for a length of time. It may have been a "heat" problem which caused it to shut down.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 29, 2012 4:33:41 PM

I've been running every version of AMD's drivers since I got a 4850 5yrs ago, NEVER, EVER had a driver issue so....

I would bet your psu died.

m
l
March 29, 2012 4:45:41 PM

geekapproved said:
I've been running every version of AMD's drivers since I got a 4850 5yrs ago, NEVER, EVER had a driver issue so....

Yeah i haven't had much issues with the drivers themselves. Been using AMD since I got my first X1800GT.

However if it was my power supply - wouldn't my ROG connect button in the back of my I/O port not light up at all?
m
l
March 29, 2012 5:12:07 PM

Chainzsaw said:
Yeah i haven't had much issues with the drivers themselves. Been using AMD since I got my first X1800GT.

However if it was my power supply - wouldn't my ROG connect button in the back of my I/O port not light up at all?

Power supplies have more then 1 voltage output. If touching the pins to turn it on does not work. Try what was suggested unplugging the PC and taking out the CMOS battery.

Generally when a PC just turns off it is power or RAM related. You could also take out your ram and see if the computer turns on and beeps if you have a speaker attached. Re-seat the ram and try powering it on.

What is the manufacture and wattage of your power supply? How old is it?
m
l
March 29, 2012 5:51:52 PM

BlackDeath said:
Power supplies have more then 1 voltage output. If touching the pins to turn it on does not work. Try what was suggested unplugging the PC and taking out the CMOS battery.

Generally when a PC just turns off it is power or RAM related. You could also take out your ram and see if the computer turns on and beeps if you have a speaker attached. Re-seat the ram and try powering it on.

What is the manufacture and wattage of your power supply? How old is it?

I have a Seasonic Fully modular 650W PSU gold. It's about less than a month old, the whole build is less than a month old.

I tried taking out 1 ram stick at a time, and both - and it still does exactly the same thing.

I also wanted to correct myself - I mentioned the ROG connect button lights up - it's actually the ROG clear CMOS button at the back of the I/O port.

Also, I noticed when I try to power on my PSU - when I press the "GO" button on my motherboard (the go button apparently starts it up)I can hear a faint "click". It's only a single click and does not continually click, only after pressing the go button. The click comes from my PSU

I also looked at the ASUS QLEDS- which show RAM GND, CPU and a few others - they are supposed to light up if there is an issue. However none of them light up.

What do you guys think, dead PSU? Should I RMA it? Do you guys think swapping the cables around would make a difference, since it's fully modular (although I can't remember which ones are free atm).

One last question - do you think my PSU was too weak for my setup? I did a lot of research before getting all the parts - and it should have been fine.
m
l
March 29, 2012 6:10:18 PM

Chainzsaw said:
I have a Seasonic Fully modular 650W PSU gold. It's about less than a month old, the whole build is less than a month old.

I tried taking out 1 ram stick at a time, and both - and it still does exactly the same thing.

I also wanted to correct myself - I mentioned the ROG connect button lights up - it's actually the ROG clear CMOS button at the back of the I/O port.

Also, I noticed when I try to power on my PSU - when I press the "GO" button on my motherboard (the go button apparently starts it up)I can hear a faint "click". It's only a single click and does not continually click, only after pressing the go button. The click comes from my PSU

I also looked at the ASUS QLEDS- which show RAM GND, CPU and a few others - they are supposed to light up if there is an issue. However none of them light up.

What do you guys think, dead PSU? Should I RMA it? Do you guys think swapping the cables around would make a difference, since it's fully modular (although I can't remember which ones are free atm).

One last question - do you think my PSU was too weak for my setup? I did a lot of research before getting all the parts - and it should have been fine.

I would try a different power supply first. Can you go to say Bestbuy or somewhere to buy one to try and then if it works you know that is your problem. You can always return it, generally you have 14-30days to return it. That way you have less downtime and can RMA that one if needed. Usually the motherboard power comes from only one spot on a modular powersupply. If yours allows you to switch it you can try that but see if there are different output sections on that power supply because just moving it may be on the same grid. I would say a 650watt gold series is plenty I usually go higher so I am a little more future proof.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 29, 2012 6:32:47 PM

geekapproved said:

Search around - even this site - and you'll see that while you're not alone in your experience with Catalyst you're not exactly in a crowded room either so....

I'll bet the PSU's dead also.
m
l
March 29, 2012 6:43:15 PM

BlackDeath said:
I would try a different power supply first. Can you go to say Bestbuy or somewhere to buy one to try and then if it works you know that is your problem. You can always return it, generally you have 14-30days to return it. That way you have less downtime and can RMA that one if needed. Usually the motherboard power comes from only one spot on a modular powersupply. If yours allows you to switch it you can try that but see if there are different output sections on that power supply because just moving it may be on the same grid. I would say a 650watt gold series is plenty I usually go higher so I am a little more future proof.

I live in a spot where it's a black hole of technology. There are no readily available tech shops :cry:  :fou:  :pt1cable:  :ouch:  :non:  :pfff: 

I will give it one last go tonight, I will take everything apart and recconect them all. If it still doesn't want to work by tonight, I will RMA the power supply.

m
l
March 29, 2012 7:32:37 PM

Chainzsaw said:
I live in a spot where it's a black hole of technology. There are no readily available tech shops :cry:  :fou:  :pt1cable:  :ouch:  :non:  :pfff: 

I will give it one last go tonight, I will take everything apart and recconect them all. If it still doesn't want to work by tonight, I will RMA the power supply.

Do you have Walmart or Bestbuy? What stores do you have around you?
m
l
March 29, 2012 7:47:36 PM

BlackDeath said:
Do you have Walmart or Bestbuy? What stores do you have around you?

No walmart, no bestbuy, not even a futureshop.

There's some general stores around - believe me I checked. None carry power supply units.

Ugh...if I do have to RMA my PSU - it's going to take a minimum of 3-4 weekdays. So the earliest I can expect a new PSU will most likely be mid next week if I RMA right now.

Man this sucks.!!!
m
l
March 29, 2012 7:49:36 PM

Chainzsaw said:
No walmart, no bestbuy, not even a futureshop.

There's some general stores around - believe me I checked. None carry power supply units.

Ugh...if I do have to RMA my PSU - it's going to take a minimum of 3-4 weekdays. So the earliest I can expect a new PSU will most likely be mid next week if I RMA right now.

Man this sucks.!!!

Your older computer or a friend perhaps? Someone you know might have one?

m
l
March 29, 2012 8:00:08 PM

BlackDeath said:

Hmm I do have some friends PSU's, however I know all of them are 500W or below - I do not want to take a chance with those, as I don't have integrated graphics and i'm not sure my whole system will even work with my 7950+500W (friends cheap PSU).

All the other spare PSU's I could possibly borrow are cheap Dell PSU's (all rated below 500W).
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 29, 2012 8:03:11 PM

BlackDeath said:

Flea market, yard sale, Tech school - any old unit (with the right power cables) would do at the moment. What really sucks is that while I and geekapproved think it's the PSU, if it's not look how much time was wasted. Chainzsaw, the one bright moment in this whole episode is that you can blame it on the GF and score some major suck-ups for a long time. Good luck to you.

m
l
March 29, 2012 8:25:30 PM

Chaz21 said:
Flea market, yard sale, Tech school - any old unit (with the right power cables) would do at the moment. What really sucks is that while I and geekapproved think it's the PSU, if it's not look how much time was wasted.

Ahh yeah. Where I live is a very tiny town (less than 3k people). Flea markets are nearly non-existent. Tech schools are non-existent. Heck even yard sales are non-existent. Basically anything out of the ordinary I have to order online :( 

I don't mind the "time wasted". It only happened last night, and since I work 9-5 job I don't usually use it until I get home anyways.

UPDATE WHILE TYPING THIS! Apparently one of my techy friends has a 600W PSU. I don't know the brand though. I will be able to try it out tonight.

*Crosses fingers!

Quote:
Chainzsaw, the one bright moment in this whole episode is that you can blame it on the GF and score some major suck-ups for a long time. Good luck to you.

Haha definitely! That's a good way of looking at things :D 

Do you think my PSU was too weak for my system? Do you think if I RMA my PSU - I could possibly pay the cost difference for a 750W Seasonic gold vs a 650W Seasonic?
m
l
March 29, 2012 8:43:02 PM

Update:

I just issued an RMA for my PSU. What do you guys think would be good to get? 750W PSU , 850W PSU? I don't want to go overboard, but I also don't want to underpower my system.

Edit: Price is not really an issue. I was just want stability and long lasting effectiveness.

Edit 2: Also looking for a fully modular PSU maybe even willing to go semi modular. My case is quite cramped and those extra cables laying around is not good :p 
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 29, 2012 8:45:24 PM

Chainzsaw said:
UPDATE WHILE TYPING THIS! Apparently one of my techy friends has a 600W PSU. I don't know the brand though. I will be able to try it out tonight.

*Crosses fingers!
Mine too!
I would lose some "draw" before testing with it maybe (you don't need all the ram and only the OS HDD).

Chainzsaw said:
Haha definitely! That's a good way of looking at things :D 
Used it many times myself. :) 

Chainzsaw said:
Do you think my PSU was too weak for my system? Do you think if I RMA my PSU - I could possibly pay the cost difference for a 750W Seasonic gold vs a 650W Seasonic?

It might be - yes. The problem though is that if you RMA it as faulty and then request a "larger" one they may assume that by undersizing you made it faulty.
m
l
March 29, 2012 8:50:41 PM

for what im seeing i think 750W should be more than enough for ur system man, go for it
m
l
March 29, 2012 9:23:22 PM

Chaz21 said:
Mine too!
I would lose some "draw" before testing with it maybe (you don't need all the ram and only the OS HDD).

Used it many times myself. :) 

It might be - yes. The problem though is that if you RMA it as faulty and then request a "larger" one they may assume that by undersizing you made it faulty.

Ok I spoke with newegg (where I purchased the parts) and what I will do is just order a PSU - and RMA my "old" one.

I was looking at the following PSU's:

Silverstone 850W Silver cert

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

Seasonic 850W Gold cert

PC Power & cooling silencer 760W PSU silver cert <-- read that PCP has some good PSU's.

Silverstone Strider gold evolution 750W PSu

What do you guys think? I was thinking a 750W PSU would be sufficient. What would you guys recommend?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 29, 2012 9:35:43 PM

Chainzsaw said:

PC Power & cooling silencer 760W PSU silver cert <-- read that PCP has some good PSU's.
What do you guys think? I was thinking a 750W PSU would be sufficient. What would you guys recommend?

That one looks good and this one's not bad either:
and as long as you're not cfx'ing your good to go with 750 watts.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 29, 2012 9:38:32 PM

Your PSU is enough for the system.

Use a paperclip as a jumper, to see if the power supply works.

How To Jumper a Power Supply

m
l
March 29, 2012 9:42:21 PM

Chaz21 said:
That one looks good and this one's not bad either:
and as long as you're not cfx'ing your good to go with 750 watts.

nikorr said:

Ok thanks Nikorr. I will try that tonight before I try out my friends 600W PSU.

If it doesn't work, I will just go ahead and get that PC&C PSU.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 29, 2012 9:44:58 PM

nikorr said:

Thanks for that! Adding it to my "bag of goodies".
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 29, 2012 9:50:07 PM

Chaz21 said:
Thanks for that! Adding it to my "bag of goodies".

Yep, not all of us have an extra PSU laying around : )
m
l
March 29, 2012 9:53:45 PM

nikorr said:
Good luck.

BTW, are u using any surge protection or UPS unit - like APS , especially when u have cool rig like yours.

It prevents high spikes in the elektricity.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I've "only" been using a surge protector, currently no UPS. Should I get a UPS? If so - i've read that I should get one of those "pure sine wave" UPS's? I know they are expensive, however if it will make my system even more stable i'm willing to get one.

Actually I was planning on getting one before next winter - as sometimes during winter storms we can get brown outs. But that doesn't usually happen (and hasn't so far) during this time of the year/summer. BTW there was no brown out last night either (when my computer shut down).
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 29, 2012 9:59:32 PM

Chainzsaw said:
I've "only" been using a surge protector, currently no UPS. Should I get a UPS? If so - i've read that I should get one of those "pure sine wave" UPS's? I know they are expensive, however if it will make my system even more stable i'm willing to get one.

Actually I was planning on getting one before next winter - as sometimes during winter storms we can get brown outs. But that doesn't usually happen (and hasn't so far) during this time of the year/summer. BTW there was no brown out last night either (when my computer shut down).

Not a bad idea since I assume you are "up north". Here on the East coast (US) we haven't had any brown outs this winter. Of course we haven't had a winter this year either. :D 
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 29, 2012 10:03:24 PM

Knock on the wood, but I don't have components dying on me, and maybe it is because of that.

When u start washer and dryer, it spikes up, than u start a treadmill another draw of power, than fridge goes on with air condition or heater and more ..., than it may, especially in older parts of the town and older houses or yet worse, in the apartment.

And if u don't have any protection and this is happening, than the highly sensitive electronics can fail, even if u have great PSU with all the overvoltage and other protections build in.

The battery eliminates all that and keep it stable. Somebody told me 10 years ago or so.

Read this too : ) ------->
Battery failure notification provides timely warning fault analysis so you know when the UPS needs maintenance.

The award-winning shutdown software automatically saves and closes open files and shuts down the PC in an intelligent and orderly manner, with audible alarms.

Count on the BE450G and APC to keep your valuable equipment and data safe!

So, when we spend lots of money, than $50 to $150 is not all that much, to stay free of trouble.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 29, 2012 10:06:14 PM

Chainzsaw said:

BTW, u don't always notice the brownout.

It could be fast and the spike happens.
m
l
March 29, 2012 10:20:25 PM

nikorr said:
Knock on the wood, but I don't have components dying on me, and maybe it is because of that.

When u start washer and dryer, it spikes up, than u start a treadmill another draw of power, than fridge goes on with air condition or heater and more ..., than it may, especially in older parts of the town and older houses or yet worse, in the apartment.

And if u don't have any protection and this is happening, than the highly sensitive electronics can fail, even if u have great PSU with all the overvoltage and other protections build in.

The battery eliminates all that and keep it stable. Somebody told me 10 years ago or so.

Read this too : ) ------->
Battery failure notification provides timely warning fault analysis so you know when the UPS needs maintenance.

The award-winning shutdown software automatically saves and closes open files and shuts down the PC in an intelligent and orderly manner, with audible alarms.

Count on the BE450G and APC to keep your valuable equipment and data safe!

So, when we spend lots of money, than $50 to $150 is not all that much, to stay free of trouble.

Alright thanks for the paper clip trick Nikorr! I just tried it now (im at home now), and when I try it - the green and anyone of the black wires on the 24 pin connection - the PSU makes a "Click" noise and doesn't do anything. I'm almost 100% sure now that my PSU is gonners :( 

One more question - do you think I should go for a pure sine wave UPS? I don't mind paying some money on a good UPS, especially if it will protect my 2k computer.

Edit:
Quote:
Not a bad idea since I assume you are "up north". Here on the East coast (US) we haven't had any brown outs this winter. Of course we haven't had a winter this year either. :D 

Haha yeah. I live in the "real" north. Right now theres probably a good 2-3 feet of snow everywhere (its actually starting to "warm up" but still in the -20C range.).

m
l

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
March 29, 2012 10:28:34 PM

One like this one is cool to have, as it does what it advertise.

READ the responses on newegg - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=42-102-...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

a b B Homebuilt system
March 29, 2012 10:29:21 PM

^ That one will give u about 5 min to shut all down, if power goes off.
m
l
March 29, 2012 11:05:28 PM

nikorr said:
^ That one will give u about 5 min to shut all down, if power goes off.

Nice reviews. Looks like a good UPS. However - how well or not well would it work with a 47" CCFL LCD HDTV? Do you think it would give say ~ 2-3 minutes, just enough time to shut down properly?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 29, 2012 11:13:23 PM

Do u have a secondary monitor?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 29, 2012 11:14:16 PM

What is the TV's model? We can find out the Watt output.
m
l
March 29, 2012 11:36:14 PM

nikorr said:
What is the TV's model? We can find out the Watt output.

WestingHouse 47" 1080P HDTV. I can't remember when I get it - maybe 2008-2009.

m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 29, 2012 11:37:43 PM

m
l
March 29, 2012 11:54:50 PM

nikorr said:

No secondary monitor. This is the only one in the house lol.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 29, 2012 11:56:52 PM

Chainzsaw said:
No secondary monitor. This is the only one in the house lol.

Maybe a minute, but it does not have to be connected, it will shut down by itself, it saves the open docs and than it shut down.

U can set it that way.
m
l
March 30, 2012 2:28:03 AM

Nice. However after mulling it all over I think I'll just stick with the newegg one. I've dealt with NCIX before (actually bought a whole computer or 2 there). But somehow they seem to always burn me on shipping.

So im going for these:
PSU:

UPS:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1684...

So as I was typing this up I made the order.

Going to start getting my old PSU ready for RMA.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 30, 2012 2:50:06 AM

PC Power and Cooling PPCS760 Silencer Power Supply - 760W, ATX, 80mm Fan, 80 Plus Silver, SLI Ready

List Price:$129.99
Instant Savings:- $10.00 (8%)
Price:$119.99
Less Rebate:- $20.00
Ends 03/31/2012. See Terms. Restrictions Apply. NOTICE: Limit (1) ONE rebate per person, billing address, company, or household
Final Price:
$99.99*

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...
m
l
April 2, 2012 4:25:34 PM

nikorr said:
Its great one, did u read this?

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/PC-Power-and-Coo...

Nice review on the Power supply. I ordered it :)  As well as the UPS, plus a few other "goodies" (wireless naga mouse, since my RAT 9 died). The only "crappy" thing about the PSU is that it is not moduler. However I will find a way to hopefully manage the extra wires.

Update: Got my PSU ready for RMA (seasonic 650). On a side note - did a little more "troubleshooting" with my PSU while taking it out. It's definitely still a no go, however I noticed when I unplug my 2x6pin power to my GPU - the computer boots up fine. When I plug them back in - it makes a click sound.

Argh I hope I get everything in the next few days. Sitting on a 2k paperweight :p  and my G73 laptop is...a real bummer to use right now lol.
m
l
April 5, 2012 5:59:20 PM

Update: Finally got my new PSU today - tried it out at lunch time. The new PSU is doing the exact same thing as the old one! So now I'm quite sure it is the GPU itself....

This totally sucks. I didn't have a spare PCIE graphics card to try out until today, so this weekend I will test it out again with this cheap graphics card.

One more week down the drain!

Anyways question for you guys - should I go with the exact same card again, or should I go for a different brand? Keep in mind my case only supports say a max of 11" long GPU.

If this other cheap GPU starts up my computer I will start the RMA process this weekend.

BTW i think this cheap gpu is a Geforce 6150LE lol.
m
l
!