Do I need a Video Card? - Please Read

Status
Not open for further replies.

mortl

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
Hello all! - What do you guys think is the best video card for 200$ or less? In the next few weeks i Plan on purchasing the Samsung S23A700D 23 and was wondering if i Need a video card to go along with it?

Im using Samsung syncmaster 955df CRT monitor, Windows XP Pro, [cpu] 2 Intel Pentium IV @ 3059.8 MHz, 1 gig of ram, radeon 9800 pro as video card. Do i absolutely need a new video card? Ive had this setup for years now.... Please help!

Solution

mortl

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
@ilysaml: The video card would be for everyday use. I chat on irc, play cs 1.6 + nba2k, surf the web, youtube, and watch movies. I wasnt sure if I need a new video card with the monitor i was purchasing in a few weeks or if i could get away with the Radeon 9800 PRO.

What do you guys think is the best Nvidia Card for say 200$ or less?

mortl

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
@swifty_morgan I Just figured since I was getting a brand new monitor thats pretty top notch for gaming and stuff maybe it would require a new video card as well? But yeah Ive been using this same setup for about 3-4 years not and just thought maybe I should upgrade these parts?? But if guys think Radeon 9800 pro will hold off with the new monitor than ill stay with that. Yeah im going to look around for another stick of Ram as well

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished

VGA is completely capable of pushing 1080p. Maybe not at the same refresh rates, but it's still fast enough that you won't be able to see the difference anyway. Am I missing something?

But yeah, I agree with everyone else; I'd just save money and buy an entire new system when it stops being able to do what you want it to. A Pentium IV would bottleneck basically any decent modern card, and it's safe to say that you'd want a better power supply if you buy a new graphics card that has any considerable power draw.

mortl

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
SO basically I shouldnt get a new video card unless i upgrade my cpu first correct? And theres no point of ordering a New monitor because I wont notice any difference with the radeon 9800 Pro ?? So guess i have to upgrade cpu first and then go from there ..... ya ?

mahin1islam

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
ya dud. thats an old setup. u want a new cpu (atleast intel i3-2100) more RAM (atleast 4 gb), And probably a better motherboard. i suggest starting off with a barebones kit if you want to do gaming. here is a really good one:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1355273&CatId=333
you could put in a good hd 6850 to that, or wait for an HD 7850, and upgrade the psu. that plus an OS, and u got urself a good Gaming PC

Solution

mahin1islam

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
but if you are not going to get a barebones, then upgrade the cpu and RAM. if you are gonna get a new GPU, check your RAM and PSU to make sure they will support it. the CPU/GPU u need depend on how hardcore of a gamer you are. you could get i3-2100 CPU w/ a radeon HD 6950 or Nvidia GTX 560 Ti. both are in the low $200 range. make sure your PSU is 500w. and make sure your MOBO can support it

thomascwhitfield

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011
Yeah that setup is really old. You say you've had that computer for 3-4 years? There is no way it was new even back then. Pentium IV's haven;t been but in new machines in ages. Like since 2003-2004 (guess). You really wouldn't be able to upgrade your video card anyway because I'm willing to bet it uses AGP slot type and newer video cards use all use PCIe. So you would need a new motherboard, in which case your processor would also no longer be compatible. But you definitely need a new computer. And I dont know why that other guy says VGA will look fuzzy, that is not true. I am using a 24" monitor right now @1920x1200 hooked up through VGA and I really can't tell the difference in clarity than when it's hooked up to my other computer using DVI. So the new monitor will be nice and big, but I wonder what the max resolution on your video card is anyway. Or if it even supports widescreen resolutions. Your new monitor would like have a native resolution of 1920x1080 at that size (23"). If the resolution and aspect ratio is not compatible with your ancient video card, it will probably turn out looking distorted and worse than it does on whatever monitor you are using now. I'm not trying to insult you or your system, but you should save your money and buy a new computer. Just some friendly advice.

thomascwhitfield

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011

That kit sucks. Geforce GT 520? Check the benchmarks on that. It's horrible, and scores lower than many GPUs from 4-5 years ago. You wouldn't be able to play hardly any newer games on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.