NVidia 6600GT AGP?

Wondered if anybody else had tried the 6600GT AGP card with either
BV1942 or BFV?

It just hit the retail shelves here and I grabbed one today.
Unfortunately, in both BF1942 and BFV I get terrible texturing problems:
polygons where the textures are "invisible" (transparent patches of
mountain or ocean) and areas where webs of similar texture stretch
between objects, i.e., stands of palm trees with long triangles of
"bark" stretched between trees, and text labels out of place (some
stretching from the point of origin towards the center of the screen).

It's a modest system that I'm trying to keep going for a while but it
should exceed the minimum well enough -- Athlon XP 2.1, 1 GB Crucial,
Antec 480 W power supply -- so I don't think it's that.

Drivers were the latest (66.93) and the usual (annoying) drill to
uninstall the old card's drivers, reboot to 640x480 VGA mode, etc.

The prior Geforce Ti 4400 was working fine, just looking for a bit
higher res and more eye candy.
15 answers Last reply
More about nvidia 6600gt

    How much did u pay for it and what store?

    "bug" <bug@example.com> wrote in message
    > Wondered if anybody else had tried the 6600GT AGP card with either
    > BV1942 or BFV?
    >
    > It just hit the retail shelves here and I grabbed one today.
    > Unfortunately, in both BF1942 and BFV I get terrible texturing problems:
    > polygons where the textures are "invisible" (transparent patches of
    > mountain or ocean) and areas where webs of similar texture stretch
    > between objects, i.e., stands of palm trees with long triangles of
    > "bark" stretched between trees, and text labels out of place (some
    > stretching from the point of origin towards the center of the screen).
    >
    > It's a modest system that I'm trying to keep going for a while but it
    > should exceed the minimum well enough -- Athlon XP 2.1, 1 GB Crucial,
    > Antec 480 W power supply -- so I don't think it's that.
    >
    > Drivers were the latest (66.93) and the usual (annoying) drill to
    > uninstall the old card's drivers, reboot to 640x480 VGA mode, etc.
    >
    > The prior Geforce Ti 4400 was working fine, just looking for a bit
    > higher res and more eye candy.

    What drivers are you using?

    Allan

    <hcnus01ltktit2psrsjuu03sol5qpq3alh@4ax.com>, bug@example.com said...
    > Wondered if anybody else had tried the 6600GT AGP card with either
    > BV1942 or BFV?

    I'm getting mine today or tomorrow and I'll let you know how it turns out. It
    sounds like your problem is drivers tho. Have you tried reinstalling the
    drivers? In the release notes for 66.93 there are listed some issues with some
    games running in high resolution and antialiasing enabled. Try turning off AA
    and AF(set them to "application control"), and maybe fast writes and sideband-
    adressing too.

    --
    Lansenerd *waiting patiently/eagerly/now worried for his new card*
    www.agbgaming.com

    "bug" <bug@example.com> wrote in message
    > Wondered if anybody else had tried the 6600GT AGP card with either
    > BV1942 or BFV?
    >
    > It just hit the retail shelves here and I grabbed one today.
    > Unfortunately, in both BF1942 and BFV I get terrible texturing problems:
    > polygons where the textures are "invisible" (transparent patches of
    > mountain or ocean) and areas where webs of similar texture stretch
    > between objects, i.e., stands of palm trees with long triangles of
    > "bark" stretched between trees, and text labels out of place (some
    > stretching from the point of origin towards the center of the screen).
    >
    > It's a modest system that I'm trying to keep going for a while but it
    > should exceed the minimum well enough -- Athlon XP 2.1, 1 GB Crucial,
    > Antec 480 W power supply -- so I don't think it's that.
    >
    > Drivers were the latest (66.93) and the usual (annoying) drill to
    > uninstall the old card's drivers, reboot to 640x480 VGA mode, etc.
    >
    > The prior Geforce Ti 4400 was working fine, just looking for a bit
    > higher res and more eye candy.

    What was the name of the Company that produced the 4400? Some Company's
    produce funky add-ons that also need to be uninstalled. I.E. Leadtek.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

    "bug" <bug@example.com> wrote in message
    > Wondered if anybody else had tried the 6600GT AGP card with either
    > BV1942 or BFV?
    >
    > It just hit the retail shelves here and I grabbed one today.
    > Unfortunately, in both BF1942 and BFV I get terrible texturing problems:
    > polygons where the textures are "invisible" (transparent patches of
    > mountain or ocean) and areas where webs of similar texture stretch
    > between objects, i.e., stands of palm trees with long triangles of
    > "bark" stretched between trees, and text labels out of place (some
    > stretching from the point of origin towards the center of the screen).
    >
    > It's a modest system that I'm trying to keep going for a while but it
    > should exceed the minimum well enough -- Athlon XP 2.1, 1 GB Crucial,
    > Antec 480 W power supply -- so I don't think it's that.
    >
    > Drivers were the latest (66.93) and the usual (annoying) drill to
    > uninstall the old card's drivers, reboot to 640x480 VGA mode, etc.
    >
    > The prior Geforce Ti 4400 was working fine, just looking for a bit
    > higher res and more eye candy.

    i play BF1942 ok on a 5200 granted it isnt lovely but its not how you
    describe it with a 6600
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

    On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 21:50:03 GMT, bug <bug@example.com> wrote:
    [snip...snip...]
    >Willing to believe that it's a driver issue, since the latest WHQL
    >drivers from NVidia (and the ones included on the card's CD) note that
    >they are the first to include support for the 6600-series. PITA, tho.

    OK, it *is* a driver problem. The 71.20 drivers from Guru3D
    http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=931 seem to do the trick.
    Running "high" vid settings in 1024x768, 4x aniso. Looks good.

    Now I've just gotta get the ^%*%&# PC put back together...
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

    Reinstall the OS. That should Help.

    "bug" <bug@example.com> wrote in message
    > Wondered if anybody else had tried the 6600GT AGP card with either
    > BV1942 or BFV?
    >
    > It just hit the retail shelves here and I grabbed one today.
    > Unfortunately, in both BF1942 and BFV I get terrible texturing problems:
    > polygons where the textures are "invisible" (transparent patches of
    > mountain or ocean) and areas where webs of similar texture stretch
    > between objects, i.e., stands of palm trees with long triangles of
    > "bark" stretched between trees, and text labels out of place (some
    > stretching from the point of origin towards the center of the screen).
    >
    > It's a modest system that I'm trying to keep going for a while but it
    > should exceed the minimum well enough -- Athlon XP 2.1, 1 GB Crucial,
    > Antec 480 W power supply -- so I don't think it's that.
    >
    > Drivers were the latest (66.93) and the usual (annoying) drill to
    > uninstall the old card's drivers, reboot to 640x480 VGA mode, etc.
    >
    > The prior Geforce Ti 4400 was working fine, just looking for a bit
    > higher res and more eye candy.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

    <41d161aa$1@news.broadpark.no>, hajo@hajo.no said...
    > Reinstall the OS. That should Help.

    The ultimate answer to the question of life, the universe and everything. Oh
    no, that's 42. In this case tho, it was 71.20.
    --
    Lansenerd
    www.agbgaming.com

    On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 14:45:25 +0100, Lansenerd <lansenerd@nowhere.com>
    wrote:

    > <41d161aa$1@news.broadpark.no>, hajo@hajo.no said...
    >> Reinstall the OS. That should Help.
    >>

    >The ultimate answer to the question of life, the universe and everything. Oh
    >no, that's 42. In this case tho, it was 71.20.

    Well, 71.20 isn't the ultimate answer. Still some issues but definitely
    playable.

    Aniso seems to be right out. Ran with that for a bit and ended up
    crashing back to a cold reboot (under XP w/SP2) when my tank blew up.
    Very dramatic and perhaps more realistic but that does rather affect
    gameplay a just a teensy bit...

    With "application control" settings it seems to run OK. Did notice (hard
    not to notice) some Z-axis issues with foliage in BFV+WW2. The trees and
    such are not rendered until they are almost to the middle distance.
    While approaching an island, the land masses go from fog silhouettes to
    clearly visible and then suddenly the trees pop into view.

    At least I'm not affected by the dreaded "flamethrower lag" any more.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

    On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 14:49:40 GMT, bug <bug@example.com> wrote:

    [snip...snip...]
    >Well, 71.20 isn't the ultimate answer. Still some issues but definitely
    >playable.
    >
    >Aniso seems to be right out. Ran with that for a bit and ended up
    >crashing back to a cold reboot (under XP w/SP2) when my tank blew up.
    >Very dramatic and perhaps more realistic but that does rather affect
    >gameplay a just a teensy bit...

    FWIW, even without AA or AI I'm still getting thrown back to a system
    cold boot if I'm in a vehicle that "blows up." This is with the 71.20
    drivers. The XP post-mortem report attributes the crash to an unknown
    error in the NVidia driver.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

    On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 21:28:57 GMT, bug <bug@example.com> wrote:

    >On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 14:49:40 GMT, bug <bug@example.com> wrote:
    >
    >[snip...snip...]
    >>Well, 71.20 isn't the ultimate answer. Still some issues but definitely
    >>playable.
    >>
    >>Aniso seems to be right out. Ran with that for a bit and ended up
    >>crashing back to a cold reboot (under XP w/SP2) when my tank blew up.
    >>Very dramatic and perhaps more realistic but that does rather affect
    >>gameplay a just a teensy bit...
    >
    >FWIW, even without AA or AI I'm still getting thrown back to a system
    >cold boot if I'm in a vehicle that "blows up." This is with the 71.20
    >drivers. The XP post-mortem report attributes the crash to an unknown
    >error in the NVidia driver.

    [Feels like I've got a blog running here...]

    Update for those thinking of getting a 6600GT/AGP. The issue with the
    freaky texture mapping with the 66.93 drivers seems to be an artifact of
    motherboards with SiS chipsets. NVidia fixed the problem with driver
    release 67.03. It's not WHQL but it (a) does have OK textures, (b) does
    not have foliage z-axis issues, and (c) does not crash back to reboot.

    So far, running with HIGH vid settings (but no AA or AI) the 67.03
    drivers seem stable and well behaved.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

    On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 23:40:00 GMT, bug <bug@example.com> wrote:

    >On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 21:28:57 GMT, bug <bug@example.com> wrote:
    >
    >>On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 14:49:40 GMT, bug <bug@example.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>[snip...snip...]
    >>>Well, 71.20 isn't the ultimate answer. Still some issues but definitely
    >>>playable.
    >>>
    >>>Aniso seems to be right out. Ran with that for a bit and ended up
    >>>crashing back to a cold reboot (under XP w/SP2) when my tank blew up.
    >>>Very dramatic and perhaps more realistic but that does rather affect
    >>>gameplay a just a teensy bit...
    >>
    >>FWIW, even without AA or AI I'm still getting thrown back to a system
    >>cold boot if I'm in a vehicle that "blows up." This is with the 71.20
    >>drivers. The XP post-mortem report attributes the crash to an unknown
    >>error in the NVidia driver.
    >
    >[Feels like I've got a blog running here...]
    >
    >Update for those thinking of getting a 6600GT/AGP. The issue with the
    >freaky texture mapping with the 66.93 drivers seems to be an artifact of
    >motherboards with SiS chipsets. NVidia fixed the problem with driver
    >release 67.03. It's not WHQL but it (a) does have OK textures, (b) does
    >not have foliage z-axis issues, and (c) does not crash back to reboot.
    >
    >So far, running with HIGH vid settings (but no AA or AI) the 67.03
    >drivers seem stable and well behaved.

    Guru3d posted the 71.22 driver yesterday. Don't know if it'll help
    with the problem, though. Hope it helps.

    Dave White

    "Strange things are afoot at the Circle K."
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

    <68r3t0532e3qaqdd3soo0vak6enrfh3kth@4ax.com>, bug@example.com said...

    > Update for those thinking of getting a 6600GT/AGP. The issue with the
    > freaky texture mapping with the 66.93 drivers seems to be an artifact of
    > motherboards with SiS chipsets. NVidia fixed the problem with driver
    > release 67.03. It's not WHQL but it (a) does have OK textures, (b) does
    > not have foliage z-axis issues, and (c) does not crash back to reboot.
    >
    > So far, running with HIGH vid settings (but no AA or AI) the 67.03
    > drivers seem stable and well behaved.

    Good to hear it's working. I finally got mine today and it looks very good so
    far. BF and HL2 looks very nice in the short tests I've done with the 66.93-
    driver. I must play HL2 again I think and just enjoy the scenery. ;-)

    --
    Lansenerd
    www.agbgaming.com

    On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 17:39:21 +0100, Lansenerd <lansenerd@nowhere.com>
    wrote:

    > <68r3t0532e3qaqdd3soo0vak6enrfh3kth@4ax.com>, bug@example.com said...
    >>
    >> Update for those thinking of getting a 6600GT/AGP. The issue with the
    >> freaky texture mapping with the 66.93 drivers seems to be an artifact of
    >> motherboards with SiS chipsets. NVidia fixed the problem with driver
    >> release 67.03. It's not WHQL but it (a) does have OK textures, (b) does
    >> not have foliage z-axis issues, and (c) does not crash back to reboot.
    >>
    >> So far, running with HIGH vid settings (but no AA or AI) the 67.03
    >> drivers seem stable and well behaved.
    >>

    >Good to hear it's working.

    Unfortunately, I'm still getting the occasional crash back to a reboot
    when I'm "inside" something (tank, defgun) that blows up. Not every time
    (fortunately) but it does happen. This is with the 67.03 drivers.

    I'll check out Guru3D later.

    I've had to arrange the desktop icons so that they fit on a 640x480
    screen and every trip through the driver installation drill doesn't
    mess them up...
  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

    bug <bug@example.com> wrote:

    >It's a PNY 6600GT AGP. Some folks don't like PNY for being too "plain
    >vanilla" but I prefer them for just that reason. Their cards are
    >basically the NVidia reference card, painted purple. They use stock
    >NVidia drivers (the "driver update" link on their site goes right to
    >NVidia) and they don't stray too far from the standard.

    Actually, I don't think it's the "plain vanilla"ness of PNY, but the
    subpar quality. I avoid PNY memory like the plague. I had to run a
    k6 350 processor at 333 because something didn't want to run at 100mhz
    bus, and I think it was the PNY Ram.

    Having said that, my current cards in my two systems are both PNY,
    because they were on sale. A g4 in this one, and a g3 in the other.
    They seem to do okay, but I'm pretty much still playing UT99.

Video Games