Sign in with
Your question

Not sure if the CPU or motherboard is dead

Last response: in CPUs
July 12, 2012 5:34:38 PM

Hey all. About a month ago my computer started having issues booting up, and I know it was due to either the motherboard or the CPU failing.

Essentially each time I'd try to start it up, it would go through the normal BIOS routine, get to the Windows startup screen (the beginning where the Windows logo comes up and the 4 colors form the logo), and then it would just restart automatically. Occasionally I'd get to a screen that would suggest that I insert my Windows 7 disc to repair Windows, but when I put the disc in and attempt to repair, the computer would restart again after failing to repair.

I have since replaced my motherboard and CPU with newer components and the computer works fine now (utilizing the same harddrive, RAM, PSU, and everything else from my original build), but I'd like to be able to salvage either the CPU or motherboard to give to a friend, supposing I could figure out which one is at fault. Is there an easy way to see which one is at fault without having access to a different CPU or motherboard to test them individually with newer parts? I've read a few threads on here that suggest that a majority of the time it is the motherboard and not the CPU causing the issues, but I just wanted to see if there was a sure method to determine that. :) 

More about : cpu motherboard dead

a c 117 à CPUs
a c 236 V Motherboard
July 12, 2012 5:57:53 PM

The only sure method is to install the CPU in a known good motherboard and test it thoroughly. CPUs rarely fail.
July 12, 2012 6:40:24 PM

If u can boot into BIOS then I think your motherboard is fine. But as everyone say CPU rarely fail its true that there could be a problem with your motherboard.

I am facing a problem my startup gets stuck on to the BIOS screen and sometimes on the OS start screen of Win XP. And my PC does boot sometimes even in the BIOS. I think it's motherboard fault and so might be yours .
!