Sign in with
Your question

Looking to purchase pre-assembled gaming computer

Last response: in Systems
March 29, 2012 10:13:15 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: 2-3 weeks (if I can reach a decision by then)

Budget Range: $600-900 (I'd like to keep it under 800 ideally but can definitely go over that if I find something really good that will last a while)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, general office/internet, drafting/3D modelling

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: None

Parts Preferences: by brand or type: Dell

Overclocking: I don't know what this is so probably no lol

SLI or Crossfire: Same answer as above

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: I'm looking to buy a new computer that's already pre-assembled (I don't know nearly enough about computers to try to build one myself, so please don't suggest that lol). I've looked at a few web sites like Dell, Best Buy, etc., but it seems to me like most of the computers there have really bad graphics cards/power supplies so I worry about the longevity and performance of many of them. I'm mostly looking for something that will be able to handle most any game out there now and have some decent longevity so I can continue to use it for a couple years. I'm also going to be using it for some 3D modelling also but if it can handle games it should be able to handle the kind of modelling I'm planning to do lol. Like I said also my price range isn't set in stone right now either, that's just kind of what I'm hoping to pay in the end.

I know very little about computer hardware so please keep that in mind lol.

Also I'd like to buy from a company that has a good reputation, I see a lot of reviews for computers that frequently mention things like damage during shipping, incompatible hardware, and so on...so I want to try to minimize that chance by buying from a known name. I saw a CyberPower site listed here for custom computers, are their computers high quality and trustworthy?

I will be very happy to hear any suggestions of web sites to check out or specific computers to look at that may suit my needs!

More about : purchase pre assembled gaming computer

March 30, 2012 1:08:07 AM

Newegg's pre-built systems are usually pretty good. Avoid the eBay 'gaming' computers. There are a lot of people on eBay who use bottom of the barrel, open box parts and offer little or no warranty. If that weren't the case, heck, I may build and sell machines on eBay but there isn't a viable market.

CyberPower would be my top choice if I thought I needed a pre-built, custom type machine because they have a pretty solid background and pretty reputable.

If you're looking for more specific recommendations:
Processor: Intel i5
Graphics: nVidia GeForce 500
RAM: 8GB DDR3 1333

Quick glance thought:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Looks like a solid system to get you started with gaming and then some.
m
l
March 30, 2012 8:43:22 PM

puttsy said:
Newegg's pre-built systems are usually pretty good. Avoid the eBay 'gaming' computers. There are a lot of people on eBay who use bottom of the barrel, open box parts and offer little or no warranty. If that weren't the case, heck, I may build and sell machines on eBay but there isn't a viable market.

CyberPower would be my top choice if I thought I needed a pre-built, custom type machine because they have a pretty solid background and pretty reputable.

If you're looking for more specific recommendations:
Processor: Intel i5
Graphics: nVidia GeForce 500
RAM: 8GB DDR3 1333

Quick glance thought:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Looks like a solid system to get you started with gaming and then some.

Thanks a bunch for the quick reply, the info you provided was extremely helpful!
m
l
Related resources
March 31, 2012 1:03:24 AM

You might consider speaking to a local shop and seeing what they can build you. Not that dell isn't ok, but a lot of your consumer grade systems that at least are from big box stores seem to have trouble sometimes. Seems like a lot of those systems they may tend to go cheaper on power supplies and motherboards, which are the two places you don't want to save money.
m
l
April 6, 2012 9:46:19 AM

mglwd40 said:
Thanks a bunch for the quick reply, the info you provided was extremely helpful!

Yo check out cyberpowerpc they have a pretty good Easter sale check out the extreme gamer se 1000
m
l
April 7, 2012 12:57:52 AM

mglwd40 said:
Approximate Purchase Date: 2-3 weeks (if I can reach a decision by then)

Budget Range: $600-900 (I'd like to keep it under 800 ideally but can definitely go over that if I find something really good that will last a while)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, general office/internet, drafting/3D modelling

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: None

Parts Preferences: by brand or type: Dell

Overclocking: I don't know what this is so probably no lol

SLI or Crossfire: Same answer as above

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: I'm looking to buy a new computer that's already pre-assembled (I don't know nearly enough about computers to try to build one myself, so please don't suggest that lol). I've looked at a few web sites like Dell, Best Buy, etc., but it seems to me like most of the computers there have really bad graphics cards/power supplies so I worry about the longevity and performance of many of them. I'm mostly looking for something that will be able to handle most any game out there now and have some decent longevity so I can continue to use it for a couple years. I'm also going to be using it for some 3D modelling also but if it can handle games it should be able to handle the kind of modelling I'm planning to do lol. Like I said also my price range isn't set in stone right now either, that's just kind of what I'm hoping to pay in the end.

I know very little about computer hardware so please keep that in mind lol.

Also I'd like to buy from a company that has a good reputation, I see a lot of reviews for computers that frequently mention things like damage during shipping, incompatible hardware, and so on...so I want to try to minimize that chance by buying from a known name. I saw a CyberPower site listed here for custom computers, are their computers high quality and trustworthy?

I will be very happy to hear any suggestions of web sites to check out or specific computers to look at that may suit my needs!

Dont buy CYBERPOWER!!! I had 2 bad experiances, honestly go to a microcenter but if you can't go to ironside computers my brother bought from them, they have extremely good customer service he says and they dont rip you off
m
l
!