Is a modular PSU worth the money?

ForYourHealth

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
I really hate clutter and I am particularly anal about neat cables, but more than that I am wondering if being able to remove the excess cables really increases airflow inside the case.

Can anyone with more experience than me shed some light?

Thanks

Solution

Depends on what you're looking for and how you shop
Not to often that you'll find modular and non modular versions of the same powersupply, here's a couple , using current Newegg pricing
The M12II rugger posted is $60 + $10 shipping
It's non-modular counterpart, the S12II, is $70 + $6 shipping
Yep, modular is worth it

The Rosewill Capstone 450 is $65 + $6
It's counterpart the 450M is $80 shipped free, but there's currently a 15% promo code
Yep, modular is worth it

Here's a couple of quality equivalent examples from different manufacturers
Corsair CX600 currently $70 + $2 shipping / $10 rebate
OCZ MXSP 600 $75 / free shipping / $10 promo code / $25 rebate
Do I need to say it again ?

It's personal preference as much as anything else. If you're good at hiding cables, then there will be minimal reductions in airflow. Airflow is more affected by number of fans, fan placement and rated airflow of the fans.

gidgiddonihah

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009

+1

Personal preference, and depending on the case you can save a few C's off the temp inside due to increased airflow with the smaller number of cables.

ForYourHealth

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
I think I'm pretty handy with some twisty ties, so I'll save the money and go with non modular. I'm actually more afraid that I'll remove some of the cables and then lose them!

Thanks for the help, guys

CrestfallenDesign

Honorable
May 2, 2012
depending on if you want to show off whats in your case aswell i guess. if you have a window you dont really want people seeing unused cables laying about everywhere and if your planning on sleeving them yourself i think a modular set would be easier. keeping unused cables is easy, just put them back in the box they came in and leave it in a cupboard :)

mace200200

Honorable
I don't pay for modular cables to increase air flow because you can almost always use the empty 5.25" drive bays to stuff all the extra cables in, or just stuff them along the bottom behind the HDD bays, the air from the front fans don't usually make it through there anyway.

Depends on what you're looking for and how you shop
Not to often that you'll find modular and non modular versions of the same powersupply, here's a couple , using current Newegg pricing
The M12II rugger posted is $60 + $10 shipping
It's non-modular counterpart, the S12II, is $70 + $6 shipping
Yep, modular is worth it

The Rosewill Capstone 450 is $65 + $6
It's counterpart the 450M is $80 shipped free, but there's currently a 15% promo code
Yep, modular is worth it

Here's a couple of quality equivalent examples from different manufacturers
Corsair CX600 currently $70 + $2 shipping / $10 rebate
OCZ MXSP 600 $75 / free shipping / $10 promo code / $25 rebate
Do I need to say it again ?

Solution

TRENDING THREADS