I need advise in upgrading my current set up with the 500 series!

roylfewkes

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
Hello Everyone!

Soo I have some money in my pocket from selling old parts and such and it’s burning a hole.. I plan on buying some new toys but I need your help in picking what would be smart to get

As they say..

"A fool and his money are soon parted."

I really would like to get..
A new 500 series card :p
A new monitor, I currently have a 22 inch dell 1680x 1050
And a custom water cooling set up?

I currently have Q6700 @ 3.0ghz being cooled with a H50. I used to have a 470 and didn’t notice much bottlenecking but I do expect to find more going into the 500 series. This would require me to OC my cpu more, thus the reason for water cooling. I do have a 800D and I'm ITCHING to watercool!!

Anyway, my friend is trying to convince me that a Gtx 560 would be the card for me but I don’t like the Bus speed and the Vram. I was thinking Either the Gtx 570 or 580. The 580 would be at the top of my budget and the 570 would be reasonable. I have a 800W power supply.

My thinking is that with the new release of the next gen cards it would drive down prices of the 500 series.
So should i?

Option A: Get a 570, possibly wait till prices go down and get another for sli?

Option B: Wait till prices go down for a 580

The reason I’m torn between the two options is because I’m finding reports of heavy bottlenecking with the q6700 especially in SLI. A OC’d Q6700 seems to me (correct me if im wrong) to be able to handle a single 570 or 580 with a minimal bottleneck.

A new monitor would be great also.. but I’m not sure how I should prioritize it. My current monitor is nice but I totally want something 1920x1080. So I have two options..

Option A: An Asus 27 inch 1920x1080 LED Monitor for about 300 bucks

Option B: Or a 24 Inch 1920X1080 LED that would save me about 100 bucks

I know that with the bigger monitor, one would be able to see the pixels easier? But really would I notice the 11% difference? And also the 27 inch would be a nice Tv in college..
Additionally I do have a rather large L shaped Glass desk that would fit the 27 inch but i would probably move it back because of how large it is..

So all in all, Im wondering, what should be on my list or priorities to get? and also what to get! THANKS!

roylfewkes

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012

without a doubt the 560 is a great card! and at a lower price point Sli would be a good choice? yes?
How about the Evga 560 with the 448 cores?

roylfewkes

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
I was talking about the Ti!
But.. i dont like how it has less cores. I feel that the cooler, even though its very attractive, is just cooling it to the point they have just overclocked it. The 560 ti 448 FTW seems a little better for an additional $20 or so..

and i am thinking about Water cooling and that would only open up the potential for performance, even more so with the additional cores..

BUT! i will keep your suggestion in mind! THANKS! :)

TRENDING THREADS