How to make powerfull server

jv42joel

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2011
Hello,
i want to build a server!!! that can host an online games!!! can anybody help me build or assemble a server or any parts if any!!
thank you

jv42joel

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2011

can u pls give me some component of a server if i rate it 1 to 10 10 is ta most powerful i need 7 or 8

tnx again for ur answer!!

motherboard
processor
memory
hard drive

tnx

c911darkwolf

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011
What games? I've ran L4Dead2 & Team fortress 2 servers before there not hard.

Answer these questions so we can better help you

Will you run concurrent applications? Such as L4dead2, teamspeak server, ect....

What games do you want to play?

How fast is your internet Connection?

Do you have a Static IP Address through your Internet Service provider?

Are you building a dedicated (a machine who's only purpose is this) machine?

What is your planned uptime? (leaving it up 24/7 or is it up only 5 days a week? or when you feel like playing?)

Will this be a Private server for personal use or a Public server for gaming online?

c911darkwolf

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011

That seems like over kill. I ran a 16man L4d Server fine on a Pent 4 machine....

Depends on what kind of server, how large of a server, and how many servers...

Remember that the following are not very important.

Graphics card
HD size (a 500gig is great.. anything over (depending on what your doing) could be a waste)

What is important
CPU (look a l1-l3 sizes)
RAM (look at front bus)
Ethernet Card (small servers you a 10/100 will work, but if you got $$ to upgrade to a gigabit switch a 10/100/1000 card is much better)
Good Antivirus protection - You may have to set your Server up outside your router's firewall for some servers to function.

Catsrules

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
If this is just for like a hobby and some friends to play on would just build a normal computer, with out the fancy video stuff. I know it isn't desined to be a server, but for what you are doing I think I would work just fine.

If I was going to build one right now this is what I would get.

CPU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115070

Motherboard
I haven't look at motherboards for awhile, and they have that huge recall with the sandy bridge them, so I don't know what the status is on that.
But here is one. With the Sandy bridge CPU the mother board you buy will ether be for integrated video or the ability to over clock. There is a video on newegg's sight on the CPU I posted, that tells about it.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130574

RAM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231428
I might get 2 of these for 16GB if you are going to host a lot of servers at once.

I think a 600 Watt Power supply would be fine for what you are doing (as long as you don't throw a killer Video card in there, put a beater video card in there.)

Answer c911darkwolf's questions and we can be more specific to what you need